• RMweb Premium

Simon has just posted a video showing progress on the Colne Valley viaduct. 

It's interesting to see the temporary support for Dominique on the south  side of the canal to allow them to place the first proper segment on the abutment. 

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, melmerby said:

Which ones?

Both

14 hours ago, melmerby said:

In fact, which ones have the spare capacity to do that?

Nieither basically  - which is why a mix of Euston, Waterloo, Terminating at Ealing Broadway and of course the usual turnaround at Reading options are being worked on.

I suspect that they will be split by service groups - South Weat of England services may well use Waterloo, Bristol / South Wales services use Euston with the balance that cannot be accomadated spinning at Ealing Broadway / Reading 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't see why they can't run at least a few trains into Paddington, during the Old Oak Station build. During initial construction it ought to be possible to keep the mains open and  once stage one is complete, open the reliefs and close the mains. There's no need to open the station.

During the Reading rebuild, the station remained mostly open, I don't think there's been any dramatic changes to elf and safety, since then.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, melmerby said:

The proper GWR used to run into Victoria.

This would be the one arrogant enough to have its own gauge, even into 2 of the platforms at Victoria? Even though only 5 years after its start-up Parliament ruled this to be beyond anti-social?

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

On 18/03/2024 at 21:07, Compound2632 said:

Interesting. The usual London Terminus for GWR when Paddington is inaccessible is Reading.

14 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Waterloo has certainly been used in the relatively recent past.   Belive that a bit of electrification up Acton bank is going to be done so that IET's  can terminate at Ealing Broadway then reverse at Acton.  It would also give a vital electrified. Ink to Euston. 

Jamie

Ealing Broadway was the (or a)  terminus for trains on the GWML for a couple of weeks after the Ladbroke Grove disaster. With two Underground termini there it provides good connections for central London though it was rammed. During that period I believe that a number of services also terminated  at Reading.  

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

"The usual London Terminus for GWR when Paddington is inaccessible is Reading."

Rather a long walk to the nearest Tube station.

Seriously, are those in charge trying to drive traffic off the railway? A few years ago a way would have been found to continue using Paddington whatever engineering work was going on.

I assume the change is partly because of the foolish decision by NR to ban all work near live railway lines after the incident in South Wales where its staff ignored the rules and were killed. So send people on the roads instead, where there are several deaths every day.

Jonathan

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Yes, all the way to platforms 13 and 14!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

Seriously, are those in charge trying to drive traffic off the railway? A few years ago a way would have been found to continue using Paddington whatever engineering work was going on.

I assume the change is partly because of the foolish decision by NR to ban all work near live railway lines after the incident in South Wales where its staff ignored the rules and were killed. So send people on the roads instead, where there are several deaths every day.

Jonathan

Although that move to ban ‘live’ working was indeed foolish (given the staff involved in the south Wales incident deliberately ignored lots of rules and procedures which would have entirely prevented the incident from occurring) when you get to large remodelling schemes involving alterations to OLE and signalling as well as track layouts and civills, an all line block is actually sensible and ironically reduces the chances of screw ups as well as being cheaper and quicker to deliver.

The added complication with Old Oak is the site is effectively rail locked by the IEP depot and the HS2 worksite meaning that the logistics of delivering it are actually quite awkward.

Moreover it seems like the industry is working hard to ensure that as many trains as possible get into London as they can - hence the use of Euston, Waterloo and Ealing Broadway and NOT simply dumping everyone at Reading.

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

Or maybe, because they have decided to replace the head spans, they've realised they can't do it one line at a time. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, billbedford said:

Or maybe, because they have decided to replace the head spans, they've realised they can't do it one line at a time. 

I suspect that the heads pans wilbe done at the same time. 

Jamie

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, DenysW said:

This would be the one arrogant enough to have its own gauge,

They weren't the only company that chose something other than Stephenson Gauge

Both the Midland and London & South Western ended up with some 7 foot gauge.  Admittedly they were from companies that connected only with the GWR at the time the lines were built.

Some Scottish Railways were also not originally Stephenson Gauge.

In the 1820s-30s the gauge question was far from settled.

Connections with other companies wasn't necessarily top of the agenda when early lines were built.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, melmerby said:

In the 1820s-30s the gauge question was far from settled.

Agreed, and some of the (latterly) Great Eastern lines didn't start as Stephenson Gauge (quite). The Midland and London & Southwestern bought Broad Gauge lines and gradually converted them - they didn't willingly build new Broad Gauge.

But by 1840 the gauge question was not a topic to start a new struggle, yet IKB launched right in.

• RMweb Premium

Another short video about the Colne Valley Viaduct.  It shows the launching girder moving forward to build the next span as it crosses the Grand Union Canal. 

A narrow boat goes under near the end.  A rather nice juxtaposition of 200 years of progress in transport technology. 

Jamie

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

HS2 Have just posted this. Cecilia has finished her drive and broke through today. Great work by the two teams over the past 3 years. 

Jamie

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

The videos just keep coming.this is the latest just posted by Cuemaster.  They have really cracked on with the arch over the canal.  Obviously not wanting to disrupt the cruising season at Easter. 

Jamie

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 minutes ago, ess1uk said:

Alternative?

From that article "The Department for Transport (DfT) said it awaited the group's proposals for securing funding."

It's all posturing and politicking until they have the money. And I read DfT's tone as "... which isn't coming from us."

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

It's a while since there was a Y news about what's happening at the HS2 EWR crossing but this has just been posted.  It was a bit confusing till I got my bearings and could do with some captions. 

However it does show the current state of play. The run round loop from which the construction and maintenance ce depot wilbe accessed is looking good. 

Jamie

Ja

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

Colne Valley viaduct.

The span over the Grand Union Canal has all but been been completed.

(it looks like the joining centre section is being cast)

I would expect the launching girder, "Dominique", to move forward to the next pier early in the coming week.

Three quarters of the viaduct is complete, with just the one final lake to span.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

They really cracked on with that span. It does mean that the canal is now clear for Easter which is traditionally the start of the main cruising season. 

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

So how long before Dominique is made redundant? I can't see many new jobs in the offing.

Jonathan

I suspect that the company that owns it will mothball it again. As far as I know it was developed to build a viaduct in Hong Kong in about 2003 and has been in store since completeing that job. It belongs to a French company. 

Jamie

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3