The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Palindromes

John ks

A useless bit of information for people that like this sort of thing

When I write this 01-02-2020 I realised that tomorrow 's date is a palindrome 02 02 2020 

It works where the date format is DD MM YYYY , MM DD YYYY , YYYY DD MM or YYYY MM DD

John

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

31 minutes ago, eastglosmog said:

John's out in Oz, where they are a bit in front of us and its Saturday already!

Which tickled me when it was the Millennium and doomsayers were saying the world was going to end at midnight and planes will fall from the sky due to the Millennium Bug.

Yet midnight had already happened in other parts of the world with no effects whatsoever. :lol:

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Which tickled me when it was the Millennium and doomsayers were saying the world was going to end at midnight and planes will fall from the sky due to the Millennium Bug.

No one who understood the Millennium bug would have said such a thing. The issue was really with financial reporting and most of it was fixed in time.

• Agree 5

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

No one who understood the Millennium bug would have said such a thing. The issue was really with financial reporting and most of it was fixed in time.

Many things other than financial reporting! But I agree, a lot of work was done to avoid any problems, with great success.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, John ks said:

A useless bit of information for people that like this sort of thing

When I write this 01-02-2020 I realised that tomorrow 's date is a palindrome 02 02 2020 

It works where the date format is DD MM YYYY , MM DD YYYY , YYYY DD MM or YYYY MM DD

John

The next time that will happen will be 2121-12-12, then not again for 900 years, and the last time was 1111-11-11. 

Edited by Nick C

• RMweb Premium
On 31/01/2020 at 22:51, Steamport Southport said:

Yet midnight had already happened in other parts of the world with no effects whatsoever. :lol:

Jason

Hi

And as I have pointed out before that was because of the millions of people in the background that updated the systems so it wouldn't happen.

In fact certain events did happen even before the millennium. Unfortunately I can't remember the exact instances but it was to do with two digit years and the system rolling over to 00 which made it look like people were the wrong age.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 01/02/2020 at 09:04, Nick C said:

The next time that will happen will be 2121-12-12, then not again for 900 years, and the last time was 1111-11-11. 

For all countries using normal date notation it's only a year away on 12-02-2021.

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, 57xx said:

For all countries using normal date notation it's only a year away on 12-02-2021.

It is, but the point about yesterday was that it works in all the major date formats, not just the sensible ones...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/02/2020 at 16:58, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

And as I have pointed out before that was because of the millions of people in the background that updated the systems so it wouldn't happen.

In fact certain events did happen even before the millennium. Unfortunately I can't remember the exact instances but it was to do with two digit years and the system rolling over to 00 which made it look like people were the wrong age.

Cheers

Paul

I definitely wrote PL/1 and COBOL code in the 1980s that would have failed come 1st Jan 2000. At that time, saving two bytes of storage saved a lot of money when mainframe disk space was very expensive.  What me & my colleagues never bargained for was that our code would be in use nearly 20 years later.

The first PC I worked on, 1983/4 ish, I was handed a 360kb floppy disk and told "be careful,  these cost £12 each".  Again, saving every possible byte was important when you only had 512kb of memory.  Sometimes we had 640kb, that was lavish beyond our wildest dreams.

Oh, and my favourite palindrome is "notlob"

Edited by 2mmMark
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1