Bachmann 2020 Announcements - Spring

AY Mod

18 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

I guess it depends if you just want "a loco" or a specific prototype. I picked this up for a fiver at the weekend:

TR Diesel 1_small.jpg

If your layout needs a Class 37 though, it's not a lot of use. Or if you use that Code 75 track...

Well said. If you don't like the price, don't buy the trains. You'll survive without them.

Gonna cost you another 5 note for buffers!. Still have my Dock Authority Loco, I Used to be amazed by the head light and rejoiced in the aroma from the motor. Some speed out of it too!

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, woodenhead said:

I guess anyone with a passing interest in Westerns, Warships or 50s anywhere close to London will want a couple.

Not just that era, anywhere/time they operated comes into play. I’d like a couple of sets in blue, however the price puts me off buying them, and concentrating on other projects. In the past the price wasn’t as much of a barrier for similar spec units.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, fezza said:

Especially as some of you (statistically) probably voted to take away his right to live and work in 27 other countries... 

And he, (statistically) was unlikely to have voted.

The portion of the population that claims it will be most affected, basically couldn't be bothered to vote.

I'm sorry, I have no sympathy for people of the younger generation, who were old enough to vote but didn't and then constantly complain about the result.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

The student didn’t last long . 

I don’t really sympathise anyway. When I was at school/ training I couldn’t afford models - you have to work hard , get a good job and , I know it comes as a surprise to millennials , then you can buy stuff. Who knew ?

117 wise, I’ll wait and see where the price evens out in a year. These have a limited geographical appeal I think so I’d expect some serious discounting eventually.

im more interested in a blue grey bubble - but that didn’t appear on the list ? But then I have the dilemma of needing 2 bubbles or a trailer to make up a Thames valley style two coach .

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, fezza said:

I was sorry to see some attacks on a younger student member of this forum. 

But he wasn't a member of this forum. His first post was on this thread, whingeing about prices. Using RMweb to have a rant is bad enough for those of us who live here. I take the strongest exception to RMweb being used by people who have previously contributed nothing. It amounts to trolling.

• Like 2
  • Agree 11

9 minutes ago, PMP said:

Not just that era, anywhere/time they operated comes into play. I’d like a couple of sets in blue, however the price puts me off buying them, and concentrating on other projects. In the past the price wasn’t as much of a barrier for similar spec units.

Thought we were forming a coop to buy some ?;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, woodenhead said:

I guess anyone with a passing interest in Westerns, Warships or 50s anywhere close to London will want a couple.

As one of those, yes I would like a 117. But unfortunately not in the liveries currently being produced. Plain BR blue and/or refurbished blue/white for me. So I have to hope that the current liveries sell well enough to encourage Bachmann to produce the livery I want and of course when it does come whether I can afford it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

He can still work there, just that he needs to do a lot of paper work that I'm currently going through myself right now. And the costs associated with it (55 Euros application, £35 to get recent copies of my UK birth certificate, 150Euros having my certificate and photocopies of my parents death certificate's officially translated, 115 euros to have a language test that proves I can speak the local lingo..... And so on..).

All this to have pleasure of then queuing up for hours at least 3 times with all other 3rd world migrants (my super new post Brexit status in the EU) in prefectures!

I'd rather spend the time and money on trains!

Presumably that is post 2020 as the Gov.UK site states that nothing changes before then?

• RMweb Premium
Just now, rob D2 said:

Thought we were forming a coop to buy some ?;)

That’s not such a silly idea for groups of mates or clubs that really want or ‘need’ a few for projects.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brushman47544 said:

As one of those, yes I would like a 117. But unfortunately not in the liveries currently being produced. Plain BR blue and/or refurbished blue/white for me. So I have to hope that the current liveries sell well enough to encourage Bachmann to produce the livery I want and of course when it does come whether I can afford it.

The refurbished blue/ white was very short lived wasn’t it ? Sort of 78-81 ish ? I’d be amazed if they did that but it certainly was a nice scheme . Maybe a retailer ltd edition ?

2 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Presumably that is post 2020 as the Gov.UK site states that nothing changes before then?

I have to sought out all the paper work before the 31st December 2020. No one knows what will be in place for 1st Jan 2021. I could start in October but the rules where I am will become harder (more paper work & costs) on the 1st April. 

8 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Blue will come - it will be the big seller, like maroon Thompsons etc held back to the second release.

blue/white - I don't remember them in that livery

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Blue will come - it will be the big seller, like maroon Thompsons etc held back to the second release.

blue/white - I don't remember them in that livery

I do find it very frustrating that Bachmann hold pack more popular liveries to second or later productions runs. It may start to backfire if people who would have bought one of the first releases as well no longer does so because they can't afford both, so wait.

I don't think many received blue/white but here's one https://railcar.co.uk/images/2450. Made a nice change from plain blue especially when ex-works.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, fezza said:

My small group of modern image modeller friends were all up for a 117. None of us will be buying at that price... they are basically asking £100 for an 00 gauge coach... 

I originally thought of getting one to make a 118 as those crept out onto my layout area on test from the BRCW factory. At that price it will only happen if someone has a 50% off clearance and I'm still here.

Not essential = won't buy.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, fezza said:

If you are in your 70s and benefitted from free education, cheap housing, secure employment, gilt edged pensions, early retirement, and rising asset/ real estate prices attacking a young person complaining about the rising cost of his hobby is not a good look.

The so-called 'attacks' on the younger member were not due to his concerns about prices, which are after all shared by plenty of other people on here, and which he and they are perfectly entitled to voice; It was because he chose to insult, twice, those who did not share his views. There was no need for that.

• Like 1
  • Agree 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, fezza said:

Young people are tech savy, very demanding consumers these days and often very well informed. They are not interested in poor 1970s technology branded 'Railroad'  - and certainly not that GWR 101 that was out of date even when I bought it as a kid around 1984.

And the youngsters I know can recognise a 117 - but aren't going spend that much on a single DMU (one that is 50% more in price than a top of the range Ps4 pro system) 

It depends on age.

The younger you are the happier you are with less detailed models (in my experience).

And, you’re more likely to have a go at detailing. I did (Jouef 40 and hours spent hand filling the glazing to get it to fit flush; never cracked the motor and it’s defeated by rice pudding skin!). And I know that I’m not alone.

Many younger modellers went down this route, and still do. Helpfully some magazines have features about modelling on a budget. 

It’s inspirational articles  like this that’s needed; stuff that is cheap to do and achievable for ordinary modellers. 

Of course, when we were younger we all wanted more than  we could afford and a layout that looked like Clapham Junction on steroids!

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, fezza said:

Young people are tech savy, very demanding consumers these days and often very well informed. They are not interested in poor 1970s technology branded 'Railroad'  - and certainly not that GWR 101 that was out of date even when I bought it as a kid around 1984.

And the youngsters I know can recognise a 117 - but aren't going spend that much on a single DMU (one that is 50% more in price than a top of the range Ps4 pro system) 

That is part of the problem in a nutshell - by your own admission you believe that essentially young people want the best, newest model but aren't prepared to pay for it! (Incidentally as a not so old person I remember full well that model railways have always been comparatively expensive).

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, fezza said:

If you are in your 70s and benefitted from free education, cheap housing, secure employment, gilt edged pensions, early retirement, and rising asset/ real estate prices attacking a young person complaining about the rising cost of his hobby is not a good look. 

Especially as some of you (statistically) probably voted to take away his right to live and work in 27 other countries... 

Let's have a bit more thought for fellow hobbyists on here, especially those who may not be as well off as you. 

I am not in my 70s and

• don't have secure employment
  • don't have gilt edged pensions
  • am not looking at early retirement
  • worked hard to pay for my home

I may be relatively well off now, but I can remember buying Asda Smart Price items in the weekly shop including meat when I was back on minimum wage for a time with a wife and two very young children to support when trains were the last thing on my mind.

Our young friend joined and his first post was to blast the high price of models then begin to insult when challenged.  Who attacked who?

• Like 3
  • Agree 8

Just received new Bachmann Times with included announcement pages, next announcement for Collectors Club members will be be on 5th May (evening) in Bristol. Given this is an evening event possibly the retailers event will be earlier the same day.

I do like it that the Collectors Club receive the British Railway Announcements within a couple of days of the event.

But budgeting with only 3 months notice is very difficult so will have to wait and hope items will be available later.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

I can remember buying Asda Smart Price items in the weekly shop

Nothing wrong or to be ashamed with buying "value" items.

We still buy Asda Smart Price* items as they are much better value than many overpriced branded items, which are virtually the same items with different labels.

* Tinned Tomatoes, Tinned Red Kidney Beans & Tinned Potatoes.

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Nothing wrong or to be ashamed with buying "value" items.

We still buy Asda Smart Price* items as they are much better value than many overpriced branded items, which are virtually the same items with different labels.

* Tinned Tomatoes, Tinned Red Kidney Beans & Tinned Potatoes.

Nothing wrong at all, I buy Aldi cheapest kidney beans and tomatoes.

• Agree 5

There is nothing wrong with buying lower cost poorer quality models if you like them, but rehashed Lima isn't going to attract new younger modellers who are used to high quality tech in other fields. 

I have a good career and the cash to pay. I also understand generational inequality. I don't blame any youngster being angry with older wealthier people telling him that he's wrong about pricing and if he can't afford it then tough cos I'm all right Jack. .

The long term future depends on affordable good quality models. The fact that stock hangs around and supply is contracting suggests the manufacturers haven't got it right with year on year price increases. 

• Agree 7