The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Railway Modelling Crimes

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Following on from the Ducking Giraffe episode perhaps we need a confessional thread where we can bare our souls and admit our modelling crimes to the assembled throng and perhpas thereby absolve ourselves in the eyes of the Modelling police?

Please feel free to add your own transgressions......

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

To start us off....

TEA Trap - Mea Culpe..... along with allowing a Brush 4 to run without brake actuating arms, running a VB loco on an AB train, running a parcels train without a tail lamp, running unweathered wagons, exceeding the speed limit, incomplete lineside fencing, no point rodding and numerous other heinous crimes...makes the Ducking Giraffe seem like a Paragon of Virtue!

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 15
  • Funny 3

25 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

To start us off....

TEA Trap - Mea Culpe..... along with allowing a Brush 4 to run without brake actuating arms, running a VB loco on an AB train, running a parcels train without a tail lamp, running unweathered wagons, exceeding the speed limit, incomplete lineside fencing, no point rodding and numerous other heinous crimes...makes the Ducking Giraffe seem like a Paragon of Virtue!

All heanious crimes! How dare you! Especially running unweathered stock.

IMG_20190603_145833.jpg

• Like 3
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

On Buckingham, the GCR 12 wheel "push pull" train is worked by a former LD&ECR 0-6-0T.

There were only 4 of these locos, they were used pretty much exclusively for shunting and as far as I know, although vacuum fitted, they never worked on any passenger train. They were certainly never fitted with "push pull" gear.

The loco doesn't actually have a number plate either!

DSCN2297.JPG.8e01611f4a8516966e3fc97b4da364db.JPG

Every time we run it, part of me wants to change it for another loco and part of me wants to keep things as much as possible how they used to be when Peter Denny ran the layout. I always decide to turn a blind eye.

Edited by t-b-g
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

On Buckingham, the GCR 12 wheel "push pull" train is worked by a former LD&ECR 0-6-0T.

There were only 4 of these locos, they were used pretty much exclusively for shunting and as far as I know, although vacuum fitted, they never worked on any passenger train. They were certainly never fitted with "push pull" gear.

The loco doesn't actually have a number plate either!

DSCN2297.JPG.8e01611f4a8516966e3fc97b4da364db.JPG

Every time we run it, part of me wants to change it for another loco and part of me wants to keep things as much as possible how they used to be when Peter Denny ran the layout. I always decide to turn a blind eye.

I think you can make a plea that you are honouring history in mitigation......

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

I have two 009 bogie coaches, both 'chopped/kit bashed'. One is an Eggerbahn Wild West coach stretched to make a bogie brake coach and the other is kitbashed using the sides from a Ratio GW all third. I usually run them together despite the fact that the Ratio coach is almost twice the width of the Eggerbahn one.

• Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

I think you can make a plea that you are honouring history in mitigation......

I will take that!

Of course it may just be that the visit of one of the locos to Gorton in 1907 for it to be fitted with push pull gear especially for a trial working the Grandborough Junction to Verney Junction autotrain just never got recorded in the history books.

As the LD&ECR number plate had just been removed and the GCR one not fitted yet, the photo may just have captured a trial working of this little known and short lived experiment. Shortly after, the gear was removed and the loco returned to Warsop sidings where it resumed its duties sorting coal traffic from the local collieries.

Edited by t-b-g
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

I will take that!

Of course it may just be that the visit of one of the locos to Gorton in 1907 for it to be fitted with push pull gear especially for a trial working the Grandborough Junction to Verney Junction autotrain just never got recorded in the history books.

As the LD&ECR number plate had just been removed and the GCR one not fitted yet, the photo may just have captured a trial working of this little known and short lived experiment. Shortly after, the gear was removed and the loco returned to Warsop sidings were it resumed its duties sorting coal traffic from the local collieries.

Remember seeing Buckingham when my modelling interest started back in the 60s .... it was inspirational.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

To start us off....

And just realised another in that video ..... running the Grisley buffet with the botch-up side facing the camera......

2 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Following on from the Ducking Giraffe episode perhaps we need a confessional thread where we can bare our souls and admit our modelling crimes to the assembled throng and perhpas thereby absolve ourselves in the eyes of the Modelling police?

As my next major layout (subject to approval from my Managing Director) will provide a setting for "stuff" collected for over fifty years, I'm fully expecting the Rivet Police to come knocking, and I've already got my alibi prepared.

It's going to include the "East Wiltshire Railway Museum". A bit like some of our Heritage Railways, with all kinds of weird and wonderful out-of-place and out-of-era visitors. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. :P

Don't let me catch you mixing operators, regions and eras, Macdonald

I won't

Won't what?

Let you catch me .. sir.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

I tend to build wagon kits using the parts provided, including the brake gear, and don't check first with photographs and official drawings to ensure that it's right, even though I've been told it usually isn't.  And to make it worse, it's in P4.......

DT

• Like 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Torper said:

I tend to build wagon kits using the parts provided, including the brake gear, and don't check first with photographs and official drawings to ensure that it's right, even though I've been told it usually isn't.  And to make it worse, it's in P4.......

DT

Have just been doing exactly that with some Red Panda Lowfits converted to Twin Bolsters. As supplied significant components missing from brake system including lever from vac cylinder to cross shaft. Added that plus shoe cross bars and safety loops - but ducked out of the rest of the rigging which means that even when I paint them bauxite they still wont be capable of braking.......

B3559F82-4B3B-49CD-A170-78BD1FAA5525.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Torper said:

I tend to build wagon kits using the parts provided, including the brake gear, and don't check first with photographs and official drawings to ensure that it's right...

I would confidently assert 'that's after in service repairs'. Fortunately the modelling police don't have a proper CID to follow up on suspicions, decades of undetected offences to my name...

• Funny 6

I think my worst modelling crime is this, where I've totally ignored all the standard rules about track laying, and broken the laws that state track must be laid level, smooth, and free of kinks:-

The other times I have committed this crime will also be taken as evidence...

000031736576.Jpeg.f8fa6196a76442d2f4ec48bed53356a6.Jpeg000031748608.Jpeg.23e875577b8c9211335f716ae69b85ad.Jpegpost-7480-0-78009800-1413925019.jpg.9f15dc7e6a07613269732cfdcdf25ea0.jpg

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

My claim to fame was on the late Roger Howell's EM layout of Chalbury, set in mid 1930s, here in Melbourne, was to turn up with a selection of BR blue diesels. Usually a Class 47 or Class 50 with a rake of blue/grey coaches.

They were fitted with Kadees and he was actually impressed that I plonked them on the track and pushed them together and promptly ran!

I never did get around to EMing my HST!

Roger did draw a line at my suggestion, that the 2nd track and goods yard, needed to be lifted!

• Like 7
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

My claim to fame was on the late Roger Howell's EM layout of Chalbury, set in mid 1930s, here in Melbourne, was to turn up with a selection of BR blue diesels. Usually a Class 47 or Class 50 with a rake of blue/grey coaches.

They were fitted with Kadees and he was actually impressed that I plonked them on the track and pushed them together and promptly ran!

I never did get around to EMing my HST!

Roger did draw a line at my suggestion, that the 2nd track and goods yard, needed to be lifted!

Right stock wrong era - you'll get off with a caution for that one!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, F-UnitMad said:

I think my worst modelling crime is this, where I've totally ignored all the standard rules about track laying, and broken the laws that state track must be laid level, smooth, and free of kinks:-

Thats nothing like a lot of US shortlines, their track is often far worse.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 1