Mallaig and the Road To The Isles

mallaig1983

19 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

How common were 25s on the WH extension? I’ve only seen one or two pictures.

Not that common to be fair but more so between Glasgow and Fort William and Oban. They were not unheard of though and I will apply a slight bending of rule 1 to accommodate a couple. They were my favourite loco and Eastfield had a fair allocation so that’s how I will justify it. 
The main focus will always be on the 1983 fleet but I’d like to capture the earlier period from time to time too. Rule 1 may well have to be brought in to run the odd 26 though.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, mallaig1983 said:

Not that common to be fair but more so between Glasgow and Fort William and Oban. They were not unheard of though and I will apply a slight bending of rule 1 to accommodate a couple. They were my favourite loco and Eastfield had a fair allocation so that’s how I will justify it. 
The main focus will always be on the 1983 fleet but I’d like to capture the earlier period from time to time too. Rule 1 may well have to be brought in to run the odd 26 though.

I’d also like to run one, so I was just looking for some justification! And I also have a 26!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have the same dilemma in N for my model of The Fort / Banavie. It begs the question of why after the 21/29s had passed their sell-by dates the 27s (and 20s) ruled the roost until the 37s arrived. I have always assumed that it related to a lack of overlap between route knowledge and traction knowledge. Presumably conductors were used when an 'interloper' was used. Or were there significant gearing / speed implications of which type 2 was used where on the Highland / West Highland routes (the EG shuttle being a special case)? My own version of the (old) 63B has 29s, 27s, 20s, 08s and a 25 - but a solitary 26 was rebodied.

Edited by Dunalastair
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

.... and a little further South at Garelochhead for all those who have ordered the new model of 25083 it was captured by David Russon on 25/6/79 on the 12.55 Glasgow to Oban.

RS0669 25083 GARELOCHHEAD MON 25.06.1979

Photo David Russon.

Edited by 03060
Extra info added.
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Quick check of my WHL loco list reveals 31 different  Blue liveried Tops era Class 25s that I have seen photographic evidence of either in books, mags or Flickr like photosites, strangely there is only one (unknown) Green liveried example but at least it's heading to Mallaig.

Oban seems to have been the most common destination for them but as @young37215 shows some did get further North on occaisions.

Hope this helps with the purchases ! LoL.

Edited by 03060
Can't count !
  • Like 5

There are a couple of 26s in stock as well that will obviously one day get a wheel stretch on the layout from time to time. A ‘Skirl o’ the pipes’ or similar rail tour being the justification. Why do I have two class 26s you may wonder. Simple answer is I love rats of all flavours ( apart from the toe curling actual rodents) and they were bought at the time when locos only cost 80 quid. There is a possibility of a small depot/stabling point being built as a separate project one day where all these classes could mingle together. 

But as far as the big project is concerned and backed by the photos kindly shared by Rob I can justify running 25s to Mallaig when the time machine is set to say 78 - 80. And no, before some wag asks I won’t be relaying the earlier track formation. Removable signals perhaps 🤔 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, mallaig1983 said:

And no, before some wag asks I won’t be relaying the earlier track formation. Removable signals perhaps

I‘ve always thought that Mallaig in an earlier period with the platform canopy would make a nice model, but you probably don‘t want  to hear that. 😁

David

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, Kylestrome said:

I‘ve always thought that Mallaig in an earlier period with the platform canopy would make a nice model, but you probably don‘t want  to hear that. 😁

David

I agree wholeheartedly, it would be a stunning model but not fitting in with my timescale sadly. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have decided I need to visit a few more exhibitions this modelling season. Warley has been an annual highlight for a number of years now, covid excepted, and I used to go on the Saturday with Dad and with a friend on the Sunday. It’s a bit much for Dad now with the large show, insufficient seating and the journey up from Oxford often standing on a crowded voyager prior to meeting me there. So this year I thought I’d take him for a look at GETS. It’s only an hours hop from Oxford and a bit smaller show. 
Dad isn’t a modeller but as a railway enthusiast does enjoy watching the layouts. 
We both really enjoyed the show, managed to see everything (I think) and plenty of seating so Dad could have a rest when he needed to. I was very impressed with the setup once we got in! 

Some very nice layouts to enjoy with what I felt was more BR blue era than I’ve been finding at Warley in recent years. Although obviously my favourite era there was some very inspiring modelling on all layouts.

My favourite layout was ‘Thorne Yard’. I’m always happy when I find a layout I can lose myself in and just soak up the atmosphere as if I’m there back on the day. ‘Kinlochewe’ and ‘Tulloch Bridge’ were also enjoyed for extended periods. Dad particularly enjoyed ‘St John’s’ WR branch set in BR steam. Credit to the organiser’s and modellers as I felt every layout there was entertaining and inspirational. Well worth the journey and entrance fee. Mention must also go tho the monolith that is making tracks. Obviously a very popular layout and very impressive. Great to see when you got the chance to get near it. Now if the railnuts team ever fancied backdating it by say 40 years………. 🤔

No stock purchases were required but I was almost tempted to get that pair of Mk3 sleeper coaches at knockdown price but then an Ethel would have needed to be funded too. Not sure I know yet whether I made the right call on that.

I saw @young37215 through the crowd at one point so a belated Hello Rob. Had a chat with a couple of YouTubers (no not those two) which was nice to be able to say hello.

All in all a very good show and a nice weekend away. Should perhaps mention that I managed a grice at Carrog on the Llangollen Rly on my way to Oxford on Saturday. I really go there more often.

68BC324E-701D-4970-A4FE-34CD9721DA46.jpeg.0e042138249436892e5ec8429e470bf1.jpeg

D4B6051A-8262-4FA5-AE1A-A509C4413AB0.jpeg.1462536f444181c74e08fadae3eb00cf.jpeg

CF184BE1-7769-4E40-AB03-FCD2E95FB9B8.jpeg.05aa8c738faea4ec0d78666d16f11080.jpeg

Edited by mallaig1983
  • Like 19

Sunday pottering in the attic today. Making a hedge and adding to the greenery behind the signal box. Anything to put off working on the signalman’s cottage! I really must crack on with it again soon though.

A little opening session was enjoyed after my labours and 37027 brought in the mid morning service from Glasgow. At Fort William this 4 coach set would have had the two ex LNER observation saloons added, one at each end. However these are not available in RTR or kit form so I am running an inspection saloon in their stead, as this was what was used for the 1984 season. This required some shunting at Mallaig in order to put it on the rear for the return journey. This is an enjoyable sequence to operate and kept me entertained for a while this afternoon. 

37027 runs around the rake.

A8AD57D4-1782-45F2-B65D-A57532D0E385.jpeg.3bff50ecb625b2f3a391cf62fbcae1b8.jpeg

…and then detaches the saloon and puts it on the loop..

4363703C-0E6E-473D-B512-488C7D60B0B9.jpeg.07fcbc6b11e2c00e92cf11bd9406102c.jpeg

The rest of the stock is then drawn forward before being reversed through the crossover to pick up the saloon 

7D0377CE-554D-4867-AC2A-AE4D9202462F.jpeg.d423e002118e16114625072d7263d467.jpeg

• Like 8

Now if you had been modelling the sixties era, you would have had to put the maroon observation saloon on the turntable to give the passengers a view on the return journey. Using a double-ended saloon makes life rather simpler, and you don't have to decide which incarnation of the LNER car to choose.

westhighland-scotland.jpg

or

west-highland-line.png

• Like 5

If someone had the space Mallaig in the 60s would be a great layout. Cramped station, loco shed and turntable, line through to the harbour, fish vans etc. Turning that obs would be one of many highlights to the operating session.

I knew that it was unlikely that 1998 and 1999 would ever be released and at the time I did think about getting a Devon Belle obs as a substitute as it did work the Kyle line in the 60s. It was only a brief thought though. A 1984 style inspection saloon did actually get used so I can live with being just a year out. Plus the shunting is fun 😀

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Eastfield depot staff applied the miniature snowploughs to 37112 in early 1983 so I thought I had better get my version suitably adorned. A couple of brown washes painted over the new ploughs acquired from Bachmann spares recently and have been fitted. I thought it prudent to run a few test runs (excuse to play) just to check they didn’t fall off of course. I think they need mucky-ing up a smidge more so perhaps a coat of sleeper grime or track dirt to follow and a dabbing off with a cotton bud. 
During this ‘testing’ I thought it might be a good idea to return the TTG tanks so I enjoyed a spot of shunting.

Also in the news is progress has been made with the signalman’s cottage. Not finished but certainly getting there. It was placed on the layout so I could sort out the lay of the land surrounding it. I had already cut back some of the hillside but the following photos do show it in it’s intended position. A few steps forward in the build.

37112 awaiting departure showing of her new accessories.

73510289-ED0F-4219-9E00-C0D55CE79D67.jpeg.21fecdd66224dfa40644e102f38820ad.jpeg

Growling  past the WIP signalman’s cottage.

D99636AF-22BB-4CDE-8020-95A3E2EBA006.jpeg.f8d0e4a3e1533c7fceef06e737573cc4.jpeg

9F33025E-1C9B-467E-AA4D-5AAEB43B8C91.jpeg.581fa0f289368485e40ac2061c10bfac.jpeg

And heads past McLennan’s slip with the last train of the day to Fort William.

9EB48DFA-10B3-4E09-B3F7-F71789CD7F6D.jpeg.0df136472766155185108ee729232122.jpeg

Edited by mallaig1983
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Every time I see your layout it makes me want to have a run out up  there.

I know it’s not the same these days but it’s still a delightful place to be. For so many reasons.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

10 minutes ago, BoD said:

Every time I see your layout it makes me want to have a run out up  there.

I know it’s not the same these days but it’s still a delightful place to be. For so many reasons.

That’s one thing I love about having the layout. I can go to Mallaig whenever I want. As you say it’s not the same these days but I love it there too.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, BoD said:

..... it’s still a delightful place to be.

I was up there in May and visited the Herring Gull colony a.k.a. Mallaig station. I even got dive-bombed, while waiting on the platform, by a bird that thought I looked threatening. He obviously hasn't seen me when I'm in a bad mood (like after I've been dive-bombed).

Gull-1.jpg.aa473ca41eac9984688ac203593faa4e.jpg

Gull-2.jpg.00f71f53603ecac6ce8dbb11e9954f4a.jpg

These two had to get off their nests, and out of the way, every time a train came in – crazy birds! 🙄

Mallaig still retains enough character to make for a very pleasant short stay and I'm hoping for a repeat visit next year.

David

Edited by Kylestrome
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

I had my chips stolen by a gull last time I was there!

No way I was letting any of mine go other than down my neck.! 

Can't say there was a particular gull problem when I was there, that said I only stayed a few hours really.. came in on the rattler in the afternoon, kipped the night, (totally winging it) at a very friendly little B+B place, then caught a boat in the morning to continue on my journey to the islands. 

Great times.... 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

It’s the morning after the day before and the day before was Warley day.

I was unsure if I would be able to attend at fairly short notice as the car had to have a visit to the garage and I didn’t know if I would get it back in time but a phone call from them on Saturday lunchtime just before they closed brought relief and excitement in equal measures, Game On.

This time the journey ran smoother than last year despite standing on Telford station for half an hour on what was the coldest morning I’ve experienced yet this autumn. It had been an uneventful 2 hour drive from home to get there. First train of the day rolled in to both Telford and Birmingham International on time.

I felt the show was quieter this year (I do Sundays) but this could have been because the ailes were much wider. Some very very nice layouts to enjoy. Nice to see Bron Hebog again and see my heritage Welsh Highland coaches in miniature. The name escapes me now but I enjoyed the O gauge BR blue yard and mainline layout with both Woodhead electrics and dirty blue diesels. Newhaven Harbour I’d seen previously but enjoyed again. My favourite of the show was South Palew which being not of my preferred period proved a real surprise so really enjoyed a couple of prolonged sessions soaking up the atmosphere of this layout. Full of admiration for its builders and a steady stream of interesting trains and shunt moves over the junction. Wonderful.

Well that was my Warley, I hope those of you who also attended enjoyed yours too. 
There’s the inspiration for us all to ‘crack on’.

Andy

• Like 2

Was there yesterday too. Travelled by train No issues to Snow Hill but the trains between New St and International were packed! Agree that it felt quieter but nice having wide aisles. Argh! missed Bron Hebog, one of my favourite layouts. Think the BR Blue O gauge layout might have been Hillport Goods. 
Enjoyed South Pelaw, it was the layout of the show for me as well. 

• Agree 1