The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Your dream car

Mr Brunel

• RMweb Premium

You may be out of luck, John. According to Reg Check that number is no longer registered. Sounds like it may have gone to that great graveyard in the sky.....

Doesn't surprise me sadly. The Mk III's are getting extremely rare to find now, they had serious problems with rust that often needed big bucks spending on them to keep in check resulting in many becoming parts donors for the few that remain. In the village I grew up in there were five or six of them at one time including a very rare K reg two door version Mk III in blue and a cream four door two litre automatic.

Even as a five year old I could appreciate a decent motor at a time when the roads were being polluted by utter rubbish like the 'new' Montego and Maestro from British strike Leyland!!

I did see a rather nice tidy Mk IV estate in the car park at Barnham Station the other morning though which I have to admit I did spend a few minutes looking over!!

Nothing for me will beat the Mark III Cortina, especially the metallic green one with the bum burning vinyl seats that my parents owned:post-6910-127427515288.jpg

Ah, the basic 1600 L Decor. My old man had one between 1977 and 1986 - TMC 371M. It was red, and was an ex-Police unmarked car - in fact he bought it off the Detective Inspector who had bought it off his Constabulary. We kept on finding hidden switches underneath the dashboard, but were never able to find out what they had been previously connected to.

The nearside front wing rotted after a few years, but a new Ford panel was cheap back then. The rest of the car remained rock solid - we found out that the body had been Ziebarted when new. Unfortunately the general noise suppression wasn't very good, and it was difficult to hold any sort of conversation above 60mph.

It was sold on to a Spanish restaurant owner for £150 - by which time it had starting problems in winter. The old man has driven German cars ever since.

• RMweb Gold

Mk2 Lotus c€ortina

Not sure about the suspension on these. I had a mate - still do, actually - who had had a very souped-up Mk1 Cortina GT for years, with no issues about his driving style. He bought a Cortina Lotus (i.e. the Mk II) and wrote it off in 6 weeks, stone-cold sober, demolishing a telegraph pole and ending up in the opposing ditch facing backwards upside down. The A-frame suspension, common with the 1600E, never quite did what it should, it would seem.

• 1 year later...

I'm only 12 so i have alot of time to choose but I have 3.1 would be a 1967 Ford mustang Shelby GT500;

2. A 1971 VW Fastback ( My mum's boyfriend has a celebrity 'FASTBACKARU' Check it out on

(link));

3. The newest: A 2007 Subaru Impreza GB270 ( My mum's boyfriend has one of these too!)

Their mine.

Regards,

JJT

My dream car is the brand new Mercedes S Class that arrives in my driveway with a letter saying 'Thank you for being such a lovely person. We are giving you this nice car free and gratis as a reward for your contribution to niceness'.

Like I said, dream car.

Decisions, decisions!

The reason there's nothing with a prancing horse on it in this list is because I wouldn't know which to choose. There is just something about the Italian spirit behind Ferrari. Mmmm

I'd be happy with either of these to belt round a track - the quattro Pike's Peak edition being the ultimate evloution of the banned Group B car. And what more can you say about the DBR9? Just right in every way, though I think I'd have to have it in AMR metallic green

post-6899-0-90481700-1307308716_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-44243100-1307308726_thumb.jpg

For the road of course it'd have to be one of these. Noisy, rattly and less than 10mpg, but boy does it sound and look amazing. It'd sure make a run to the shops exciting!

post-6899-0-11292800-1307308733_thumb.jpg

cheers

jo

Not sure about the suspension on these. I had a mate - still do, actually - who had had a very souped-up Mk1 Cortina GT for years, with no issues about his driving style. He bought a Cortina Lotus (i.e. the Mk II) and wrote it off in 6 weeks, stone-cold sober, demolishing a telegraph pole and ending up in the opposing ditch facing backwards upside down. The A-frame suspension, common with the 1600E, never quite did what it should, it would seem.

The A frame suspension set up was unique to pre-1965, Mk 1 Lotus', fitted with rear coil springs. The later Mk 1 and all Mk 2s used the leaf springs common to all Mk1 and 2 GTs, as well as the 1600E. If your mate had a Mk1 GT and a Mk 2 Lotus, the suspension would have been identical save for some slight variation in the damper settings. I had several 1600Es and for their time, they were among the best handling cars around, maybe not a great achievement given the standards of 1967. Even E Types were never renowned as great handling cars, particularly noticeable given their awesome power, but they were great in a straight line!

.... I had several 1600Es and for their time, they were among the best handling cars around, maybe not a great achievement given the standards of 1967....

...and as my old man found out when he owned "XYV 281H", 1600Es were also the targets of repeated attempts to nick them. Generally late at night from the front driveway. And if they couldn't nick the car, they'd nick parts from it instead, e.g. the steering wheel, the rev counter......

Oh no, don't get me started!! I don't have one dream car, I have a lot!!

Ferrari:

F40

F430

Aston Martin:

DB9

V12 Vantage

Vanquish S

Maserati:

MC12

Granturismo

GranSport

Lamborghini:

Gallardo Superleggera

Murcielago LP670-SV

Alfa Romeo:

8c Competizione

TVR:

Sagaris

Ascari:

KZ1

Audi:

TT (old and new models)

R8

RS4 Quattro

Dodge:

Viper SRT/10

Jaguar:

XJ220

XK (coupe and convertible)

XKR

Koenigsegg:

CCR

CCX

CCXR

Lotus:

Elise (convertible)

Exige S

Noble:

M12 GTO

Porsche:

911 Carrera GT3 (2007 model)

911 Carrera GT3 RS (second most recent model)

GT

Spyker:

C8 (all models)

Bugatti:

Veyron

Veyron SS

Toyota:

Supra

MR2 (second version)

Nissan:

Skyline GTR R34

350Z

370Z

Mistubishi:

Lancer Evolution VIII, IX and X

Subaru:

Impreza WRX STI (all models from 2003 to now)

Honda:

NSX

S2000

Lancia:

Stratos

Mazda:

RX-7

RX-8 (all models)

BMW:

M3 (newest model)

Z3 Roadster

Z4 Roadster

And last but not least...

Holden:

HSV Clubsport (2004 model)

HSV Clubsport R8 (2011 model)

HSV Maloo R8 (2011 model)

Monaro (2001 model)

Commodore SS (2002 model)

This is only part of my list. I narrowed it down to the ones that I really, really want.

Matt.

Blimey Matt that's some list!

Had a bit of a reshuffle this week and aqcuired one of the cars on my 'list', a '68 Mk2 Cooper S - everyone in the world wants a Mk1 S as they're perceived to be rare, but with over 20,000 pruduced they still outnumber the rarer Mk2s, of which only 6329 were made.... this one almost fell into my lap and I couldn't say no!! :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21403537@N00/5800422679/in/photostream

Blimey Matt that's some list! ...

Like I said, that is only part of my list. However, I forgot to add:

Pagani:

Zonda (all models)

Hyuora (I think that's how it's spelt. It's the one that's replacing the Zonda)

Ariel:

Atom (all models)

Matt.

A bowler wildcat would be the dream car although at the moment a peugeot 206 2.0 HDi turbo would be nice :) or to be super amazing would be to rip the current engine out of the 106 we got and fit an ex spitifre merlin engine phwoooooooooarr....

I can't just pick one! What do you think I am? ;)

Ferrari - FF

FerrariFF07_1_610x398.jpg

Mitstubishi - Evo

evo.jpg

Lamborgini - Giardo

lamborghini+gallardo+wallpapers+by+cool+images.jpg

Dodge - Charger

1990-dodge-charger-3.jpg

Ford - Mustang

i157742.jpg

Ford - GT40

ford-gt401.jpg

Audi R8

2009-audi-r8-lms-front-side-588x391.jpg

I almost forgot to add what is my ultimate favourite car....the one we have in the garage at home :D (this is basically the same as ours, our just has polished alluminium instead of all green :) )

Caterham10.jpg

Sorry I couldn't just pick one!

Ben

I'm only 12 so i have alot of time to choose but I have 3.1 would be a 1967 Ford mustang Shelby GT500;

2. A 1971 VW Fastback ( My mum's boyfriend has a celebrity 'FASTBACKARU' Check it out on

(link));

3. The newest: A 2007 Subaru Impreza GB270 ( My mum's boyfriend has one of these too!)

Their mine.

Regards,

JJT

I think I might add another to the list, and I think i might get one for my first car!,

A 1970 (no road tax!) Ford Capri

Regards

JJT

I must admit, I'm not into cars. I don't drive, and I don't really want to. So I don't actually have a dream car. :)

My character in World of Darkness drives a battered Mark III Ford Cortina - which would be fairly cool if it wasn't made almost entirely of filler and rust.

She is having a DB4 GT Zagato copy made for her. In modern lightweight materials, modern brakes, suspension, engine, gearbox...

But that's purely on looks, of course.

Archived