RMweb

Panic buying

57xx

Seeds, plants and other gardening stuff is available mail order. I have just bought 30 strawberry plant for the allotment along with a lot of seeds for quick growth.

To coin a phrase " Dig for Victory". The more you grow the less food needs to be moved around the country.

Marc

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Latest advice from HM Government is for the elderly and vunerable to get their food deliverd.

I have an Asda account but can't get a slot to have it delivered, so I thought I will register with some others.

Sainsburys have stopped new registrations.:(

Morrisons likewise, can't register.

Ocado has a huge virtual queue even to get to the registration page.

So how does the Government expect the over 70s and vunerable to get food delivered?

Pull yer finger out Bojo and get an emergency delivery system set up.

• Agree 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Latest advice from HM Government is for the elderly and vunerable to get their food deliverd.

I have an Asda account but can't get a slot to have it delivered, so I thought I will register with some others.

So how does the Government expect the over 70s and vunerable to get food delivered?

It might be better if the advice was not to get food delivered unless you're in a vulnerable category; given there's limited capacity it should be used for those who need it the most.

There's an old plague stone down the road from my parents, where food was dropped off and money left, I'll have to ask them if it's been brought back in to use :)

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I just had my Ocado home delivery, edited yesterday afternoon. 

Only three missing items; tin of spam, bag of plain flour, chicken korma. My small tub of Flora was substituted for another sunflower spread, so I can't complain at all. I didn't order any more than I would in a normal week. 

The Ocado queue might look horrendous, but I was moving along it at about 400 places a minute yesterday. 

My eldest son managed to get an Asda slot booked yesterday, and said there were quite a few available then. I think that patience is the key with these things. 

Corner shops seem good for a few basics. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

No, but the scumbags have taken to burgling them. One done at Knottingley last week

Crime levels are set to soar, I fear. With jobs disappearing and businesses going t*ts-up right left and centre, many decent people will find themselves in dire straits. A tiny % will turn to crime of some sort, just to maintain food and warmth or whatever. Desperate people do desperate things. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

No, but the scumbags have taken to burgling them. One done at Knottingley last week

One of the local schools had there foods stores raided on Friday/Saturday last week so the school had to close as they could not supply food for the children for this week.

• Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, melmerby said:

Exactly my problem...and again I see no way out but break curfew and visit the local supermarkets unfortuately.

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Trainshed Terry said:

One of the local schools had there foods stores raided on Friday/Saturday last week so the school had to close as they could not supply food for the children for this week.

The catering staff went to buy food for the kids and they were told they were limited to what they could buy.

The kids are those of key workers.

I cannot describe my anger over this incident that happened in Gosfield because of stupid panic buyers. The criminal fraternity are not slow on cashing in on any situation. 

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Crime levels are set to soar, I fear. With jobs disappearing and businesses going t*ts-up right left and centre, many decent people will find themselves in dire straits. A tiny % will turn to crime of some sort, just to maintain food and warmth or whatever. Desperate people do desperate things. 

It's not so bad for people who were/are employed because their employer can claim through HMRC for the 80% figure (which gives up to £2,500 per month maximum). Those on benefits are in no different a position from the one they were in previously, with in fact some easing in terms of the speed at which Universal Credit will begin to be paid.  The current big problem - which is relatively easily resolved I think - is the self-employed but the Chancellor is working on that one and it will no doubt come back to something akin to the 80% or some other figure based on their earnings in the previous tax year.  Those of course who didn't declare all their earnings will turn out to be their own word st enemies.

The main ones who are left out are those who don't fit into any of those categories and in many cases I wouldn't be surprised if they are already involved in some sort of illegal activity.  What is needed there are strong penalties to deal with looters and those involved in theft which should take them out of circulation because nothing else is going to stop them carrying on being antisocial.  I wonder if Govt has yet latched on to that problem?   Similarly there are folk living below the radar and not officially existing or long lost off any sort of system - quite what happens to them is another story entirely.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The catering staff went to buy food for the kids and they were told they were limited to what they could buy.

The kids are those of key workers.

I cannot describe my anger over this incident that happened in Gosfield because of stupid panic buyers. The criminal fraternity are not slow on cashing in on any situation. 

I empathise with you on this, Clive. I too feel angry about this and I suppose we will face further similar cases.

As Mike (stationmaster) says, the law needs to get tough on this kind of thing, real fast, real quick else we may see very unpleasant scenes of vigilantism.

Sad times.

• Agree 7

22 minutes ago, midlands said:

Exactly my problem...and again I see no way out but break curfew and visit the local supermarkets unfortuately.

If you're in the vulnerable group or self-isolating with, or suspected of having the virus, is there a local covid-19 support group in your area that can do a shopping run for you? 

• RMweb Premium

I wonder whether the problem with delivery slots is to do where the stores are situated?

Because of my location in North Worcestershire, Asda allocate their store in Shirley (West Midlands) for deliveries, this covers a reasonably affluent section of the population, many I suspect who "don't do shopping" and have everything delivered.

As a result the store would have a large percentage of block booked weekly slots and when they release any new delivery days, most of the slots have automatically been booked

3 minutes ago, sharris said:

If you're in the vulnerable group or self-isolating with, or suspected of having the virus, is there a local covid-19 support group in your area that can do a shopping run for you? 

To be honest, I wouldnt know where to look for such a thing. I did look on our local council website where there was mention of certain virus help projects being discussed but they didnt give any clues as to what help or when any help is likely to become available..which is understandable. Being as this is all new I guess all the relevant groups are in discussion mode currently.

3 minutes ago, midlands said:

To be honest, I wouldnt know where to look for such a thing. I did look on our local council website where there was mention of certain virus help projects being discussed but they didnt give any clues as to what help or when any help is likely to become available..which is understandable. Being as this is all new I guess all the relevant groups are in discussion mode currently.

The group in my area have been pretty good at leafleting - if we should need it, we've got one stuck on the fridge now offering Picking up shopping, posting mail, keeping in touch via phone, topping up meters and walking the dog. I think our group started as an offshoot of the local area Facebook citizens group (a group I subscribed to for a while, but had to unsubscribe when it was stressing me too much with its continual reporting of local crime!)

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I wonder whether the problem with delivery slots is to do where the stores are situated?

Because of my location in North Worcestershire, Asda allocate their store in Shirley (West Midlands) for deliveries, this covers a reasonably affluent section of the population, many I suspect who "don't do shopping" and have everything delivered.

As a result the store would have a large percentage of block booked weekly slots and when they release any new delivery days, most of the slots have automatically been booked

The home delivery service has been chugging along nicely for some years, appealing to a mix of those who don't do shopping and those who can't. The former will include some older people, and plenty of hard-working people who find their weekends are too precious to stand in queues. Now we have a sudden upsurge in new demand and the whole business is stratospheric. It will settle down, and newly-unemployed victims of sudden business shutdowns will swell the workforce. It also sounds as if the software needs to be updated to new circumstances. Telling a customer three weeks in advance of their delivery that there is no rice is a bit premature. 

• Agree 1