The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

Looks like it may be panic buy time in the model Railway world now

Or time to get rational and consider that not being able to buy a few toy trains for a couple of months is nothing compared to what the whole world is facing?

• Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, polybear said:

So B&Q etc. can remain open.  So all those husbands hoping to use this as a get out clause for not spending the next six months decorating have just been shafted.  It would make more sense if only certain items could be sold, and the rest fenced off.  Forget new kitchens, wallpaper, etc. etc.?

All BQs were closed just for today  ,  I suspect to close off non essentials... It will be interesting to see what is classed as non essential.. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 57xx said:

Or time to get rational and consider that not being able to buy a few toy trains for a couple of months is nothing compared to what the whole world is facing?

no one wants to see any workforce put at risk but model shops in their own way are performing an 'essential service' to the modelling community, nationwide and beyond, through maintaining mail order as we endure this time of increased isolation for many--our models and modelling are a route to mental well-being, and keeping our (my!) sanity over the coming weeks, months...

the shops have to weigh up the risks and what is right for them, of course, but the roles they're currently playing are significant in their contribution to keeping hands and minds occupied, I salute them.

all the best,

Keith

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

I think "overloading the courier services" is virtually impossible. There seems to be an almost bottomless* supply of persons with a van (or large) car who are happy to do a bit.

*The lad who delivered some stuff to the pub on Friday may be proof we are getting close - His van still had most of his building gear and some car wheels in it :D

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LBRJ said:

I think "overloading the courier services" is virtually impossible. There seems to be an almost bottomless* supply of persons with a van (or large) car who are happy to do a bit.

*The lad who delivered some stuff to the pub on Friday may be proof we are getting close - His van still had most of his building gear and some car wheels in it :D

The problem is having to go out to their office to retrieve the package when the card drops through the door after they've knocked, sprinted back to the van and driven off even before you've got off the sofa. (Unless they've left it in the dustbin or hedge).

Edited by Baby Deltic
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

4 hours ago, melmerby said:

Maybe there should be an order of priority with home deliveries.

Possibly:

1. Health Workers

2. Vunerable due to underlying health (younger people with severe Asthma or Emphysema etc are more vunerable than older people who are healthy, an 18yr old with underlying health problems has succombed in the UK)

3. Vunerable because of age & other key workers

4. Everybody else.

Also delivery charges should be revised as some poorer vunerable souls will find the extra expenditure required for HD a strain on finances.

Is this realistic?

Any points for people who rely on deliveries to get through life without a car in a car-obsessed country?

Or do they just hop on the bus every few days to fetch back what they can carry?

Edited by Coryton
  • Agree 2

John:

4 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

Given the Hattons vs Bachmann debacle recently, why not look a little closer to home, John?

4 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Indeed!  I haven't bought anything from Hattons for a while since the Bachmann debacle, I am concerned about what appears to be an attempt by a big player in the hobby to shut down everyone else.

Worrying ...

Who do you consider the bigger player?

Dear All,

when I post on this heard it’s usually in a jovial manner but could I make a serious point for once.

Please  when you order your next repeat prescription check what you’ve already got as it’s surprising how some items build up.  I know pharmacy is under a lot of pressure at the moment.

Rant over, keep well and goodnight,

Robert (an exhausted pharmacist)

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

SWMBO relies upon a couple of fairly standard medications and has a month's worth in hand.  She dropped into the pharmacy today - or rather she dropped out of it as she chose to converse with the pharmacist (it's a one-man operation) through the door.  He is aware of her regular requirements and frequency.  Whilst he didn't have one in stock today and it is a good two weeks before she was due to be topped up he has promised to order for tomorrow and ensure she receives her next supply 3-4 weeks ahead of need rather than 2.  Rather good service, we thought.  

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I am fitting the profile of a "panic buyer"  ever more by the hour! Not that I am one ;)

Its just that I tend to buy all my dry goods, non perishables, frozen food and household supplies in reasonable quantities roughly every quarter day . 

This is one of those weeks - so I'm a bit short on such a lot of things that a mere 10 weeks ago I had well... just over 10 weeks* supplies of.

* I buy things in the way Lampies topped up lamps......8 days supply every 7 days sortta idea ;)

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, melmerby said:

Maybe there should be an order of priority with home deliveries.

Possibly:

1. Health Workers

2. Vunerable due to underlying health (younger people with severe Asthma or Emphysema etc are more vunerable than older people who are healthy, an 18yr old with underlying health problems has succombed in the UK)

3. Vunerable because of age & other key workers

4. Everybody else.

Also delivery charges should be revised as some poorer vunerable souls will find the extra expenditure required for HD a strain on finances.

Is this realistic?

A scheme in Australia.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/people-s-army-on-the-march-delivering-care-to-mornington-peninsula-s-vulnerable-20200324-p54dgv.html#comments

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, eastglosmog said:

There is a silver lining for some.  Our milkman has been so inundated with orders for doorstep deliveries he cannot take any more.  (Those of us who have always used him are now feeling smug.)

Which reminds me - our milkman has just delivered - nice and early for Wednesday morning's milk!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

we started using a milkman about a year back, people scoffed and said it was easier and cheaper to go the supermarket, those same people now are unable to join his delivery round as he is also too busy 

ours delivers about 02:00-0300 normally

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Currently Asda site is down and has been all evening.

Ocado have a three hour wait to register.

Doesn't seem to be improving, if anything it's getting worse.

I managed to get a slot for 8th April, which was held until 01:30 today. I'm still trying to checkout, it's been 3 hours and I lost the slot.

Luckily I've got another on the 9th, still trying to checkout. It goes though the motions of card payment, but comes up "unavailble". Whatever that means.

Still I've got to 03:26 before this slot expires. :rolleyes:

Yeah!! all done now, just hope it all arrives. 

Rob

Edited by mezzoman253
Update

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, big jim said:

we started using a milkman about a year back, people scoffed and said it was easier and cheaper to go the supermarket, those same people now are unable to join his delivery round as he is also too busy 

ours delivers about 02:00-0300 normally

How long until a tea leaf comes along and helps themselves?

16 hours ago, kevinlms said:

The US and Australia have similar idiots in charge.

We in NSW seem to be the epicentre of the  idiots.

1) We have an idiot who let 2700 passengers disembark from a cruise ship last Friday without any checks, despite 3 people having the virus - one was taken staight to hospital where she died 2 days later. The rest dispersed to the four winds and interstate, where currently over 100 of them now have the virus and have beome the major component of our current statistics .

2) Following large crowds on Bondi beach on Friday,  on Saturday  our police minister called a major press conference - at bondi beach. Where he stood  surrounded by his minders, while a big close packed group of journalists and photographers bunched in front of him as he bemoaned the 'irresponsible people" who had gone to Bondi and  ignored the social distancing rules..

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, mezzoman253 said:

I managed to get a slot for 8th April, which was held until 01:30 today. I'm still trying to checkout, it's been 3 hours and I lost the slot.

Luckily I've got another on the 9th, still trying to checkout. It goes though the motions of card payment, but comes up "unavailble". Whatever that means.

Still I've got to 03:26 before this slot expires. :rolleyes:

Yeah!! all done now, just hope it all arrives. 

Rob

How? Every time I try the Asda site it's down, can't log in.

Eventually managed to register with Ocado but got a message back saying we aren't going to serve new registrations.

Problem is now I'm spending so much time chasing delivery slots that I'm not sleeping enough, I feel knackered

• RMweb Premium

Yah

Eventually manage to log in and got a slot, Wednesday 15th April

Booked a delivery pass as well so I needed to add to the shopping list to get to minimum spend - site went down  again.:(

Edited by melmerby
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I managed to secure home delivery slots at our local Asda for the 1st, 7th and 14th of April.

One of them has next week's full (depending on availability) shop and the others are secured with one item, ready to be amended closer to the time.

It bugs me slightly that I had to use Asda because I usually shop at Tesco, and have used their home delivery service in the past, but I'm just glad I managed to get the slots I have.

Regarding home delivery, and a little insight from inside.

I'm not on the picking team, but in our store I gather they are 6 or 7 pickers short which I think is about a quarter of their team (at least 1 of those is now off for 12 weeks - or however long it takes). I think there are also delivery driver shortages.  There are a number of new recruits now employed to pick, they started work last week, so of course will still be getting the hang of it.

Of course when the pickers do go around the store they face the same problems as everyone else where there are shortages, or stock sold out.

cheers

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

For any Ocado customers, I just finished editing my order for next week; and noticed that there were available slots for tomorrow  (26th) spread randomly through the day. 

Whether they will continue to be there after you have sat in the queue for an hour I can't say; but thought I would mention it here just in case anyone is in dire need of a delivery. 

• RMweb Premium

One thing that seems to be in short supply (amongst many others) is Shredded Wheat but all the sugary things like Frosties and CoCo Pops are still available

Are people actually turning to more healthy items during lockdown?

Son came over yesterday, brought a list of things we'd run out of and picked up this month's repeat prescriptions for the OFs. He left it all  in the garage with shouted contacts with us through the kitchen door.

He'd failed to locate any paracetamol on sale either at his end or ours. But in our local pharmacy a guy kept breaking the 2M rule and nudging him.

When outside,  the guy arrived at his passenger window,  dangled a bag and gesticulated for son to lower the window.

He tossed in a paper bag full of 500mg paracetamol styrene push-out sheets saying "A mate had given him loads more than need" and walked off !

• Like 1