The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rockershovel said:

My wife was (finally) contacted by Ocado, and no other supplier, to notify her that she was a priority delivery. I’d assume from this, that the list is allocated on the basis of identified persons already registered with that supplier, so that there is a random-selection element relating to prior arrangements, with no mechanism to ensure that all identified persons get a delivery from somewhere?

Is your wife a smart pass member? Because our DiL got a message telling her she was a priority customer (nothing to do with her medical status apparently), because she is a smart pass member, unfortunately they don’t deliver down here......

Oh, and I forgot to say re:Ocado. I left a message about the carrier bags on their Facebook page, and their response was to save all my bags until the restrictions end and the drivers will take them all for recycling. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

See https://gov.wales/get-coronavirus-support-extremely-vulnerable-person for information applicable to Wales.

John Isherwood.

As I said above, that's just for those classified as extermely vulnerable and needing to be shielded for 12 weeks.  If you don't have those conditions and are 'just' vulnerable eg 75, living alone, with a heart condition - currently in Wales it's tough luck if you want extra help from the big supermarkets.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Metr0Land said:

AFAIK there isn't one...............

Just checked again.  If you're in the category which means you get a doctor's letter by 6April saying you should shield yourself for 12 weeks there are things you can do. If you're just old and have various other conditions tough luck.......  In the case of my friend she hasn't been able to get a Tesco slot beyond next week, hasn't been able to get through to anyone on the phone for about 2 weeks now (about slots and returns of wrong products delivered) so can't actually speak to anyone about being vulnerable.  There doesn't seem to be an online way of declaring yourself in need to Tesco.

Have you checked here?

https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus-extremely-vulnerable

My wife only got the letter today from the hospital (signed by FOUR consultants no less!)

So maybe........

edit : oops I think John beat me to it 

Edited by boxbrownie

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Have you checked here?

https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus-extremely-vulnerable

My wife only got the letter today from the hospital (signed by FOUR consultants no less!)

So maybe........

Yes and if you scroll down there's a hyperlink to Wales which says what I've said in my last 2 posts (in as many words)

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Yes, I have had that notification from Ocado; although mine came 10 days ago. I believe they are slowly trawling through their database to work out who are long term or regular customers (and those with Smart Pass) and bringing them to the front of the queue. I think this is only an internal Ocado policy, not a wider priority scheme. 

If your wife's timeline goes anything like mine then she should be able to log in almost immediately, although occasionally there is a short queue, but less than 5 minutes. I can book one delivery per week and usually the calendar is open for the current week and following week, therefore I can book a maximum of two slots. After a booked delivery has arrived, the calendar opens up for the week after your next delivery slot (if you have one), and so on. 

I am very happy with this arrangement, and although there are a few missing items or substitutions it is comforting to know I have deliveries into the future. From what I gather (looking at the company twitter messages) those who are more recent Ocado customers or who don't have any Smart Pass or regular order criteria booked from years back, are still having to queue for hours; and so I count myself very fortunate to have been a loyal Ocado customer for over 5 years - otherwise I might have to join the 200 yard queue at the local Waitrose. 

Yes same with my DiL, but as she (and the kids) are with us for the duration and Ocado don’t deliver here it’s no use to us, but she can at least order for our Son back home as he has little chance to shop much being a Doctor in A&E.....

Silver lining....grab it while you can :)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

Yes and if you scroll down there's a hyperlink to Wales which says what I've said in my last 2 posts (in as many words)

Did you contact your GP about not getting a letter like it says?

3 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Yes same with my DiL, but as she (and the kids) are with us for the duration and Ocado don’t deliver here it’s no use to us, but she can at least order for our Son back home as he has little chance to shop much being a Doctor in A&E.....

Silver lining....grab it while you can :)

Yes, my Sis-i-L is much the same. I volunteered to add her address to my account, hoping that I could get a delivery for her; but they don't deliver in her area either. :(

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, alastairq said:

Just had an email from the Patient Access system...asking if I'll contact them if I display symptoms for Covid-19...or I think I'm doing so....

I'm not in the 'vulnerable' category...not even remotely vulnerable to diabetes, either  [one category below the  'might acquire diabetes at a later date if things go wrong' category..seems health is all categorised these days?]

The email mentioned vulnerability, and consulting my GP [whoever that is now..mine retired last year] if I thought I ought to be?

Well obviously somebody is worried about you :lol:

3 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

No idea, I assume they can work out through the various supermarket deliveries who can cover what area (for example we have no coverage by Ocado) but funnily enough my wife just got off the phone from the Doctor who asked her if we have had the letter from the Gov about priority delivers, we haven’t as yet, which surprised the Doc as Mrs BB’s situation is very poor, let along my Mother who lives with us being 92 and undergoing cancer treatment at the moment..........if we cannot get a slot soon (and we tried again last night, no chance at all then as ASDA are only doing a week in advance all booked, and Waitrose were fully booked until July!)

It is what it is.

For the List of vunerables to work people in that group MUST register on the appropiate website. And of course for delivery companies to do their job and recognise you as that vunerable person you must be a registered account holder for that company. Otherwise tesco's or whatever won't see your name and adress in the list...When you do finaly get that slot remember to make it a re-occuring slot so you allways have that day/time slot available.

good luck amigo's

Roger

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

Did you contact your GP about not getting a letter like it says?

It's not about me! I'm not in the category that would get a letter. The fact is currently in Wales if you aren't on the list of conditions that need shielding, but you are elderly, infirm and with other serious conditions (ie vulnerable but not on the list of people needing shielding) there is nothing formal, and if you don't have a support network you're really stuffed.  I have peole supporting me but know others that simply don't have friends/family nearby and eg are new to the neigbourhood.

42 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

... if you aren't on the list of conditions that need shielding, but you are elderly, infirm and with other serious conditions (ie vulnerable but not on the list of people needing shielding) there is nothing formal, and if you don't have a support network you're really stuffed.

Same in England, at least in these parts.  We're both relatively fit and active, but both officially "elderly".  We're absolutley fine so far and not unduly worried about the next few months, but the reality is that if we can't keep going courtesy of online shopping, one of us has to cycle to the nearest supermarket and risk picking up exactly what we're trying to avoid by temporarily withdrawing from society.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, rockershovel said:

I think a lot of suppliers will lose a lot of business, by the time this is over. 

I’ve just been to Screwfix. A barrier and table, preventing the would-be buyer from entering the actual (empty)  store, empty car park, no customers. A WiFi card machine on the table. Five staff, elbow to elbow at the counter, gossiping happily about the prospect of being furloughed, which they seemed to regard as “gardening leave” and a useful perk. Request that they might actually look on their shelves was greeted with indignation “because safety”. 

A few minutes on the iPad identified the item as “click and collect” reasonably locally, tomorrow. Screwfix website provided no useful information about availability, so you can probably guess the rest. 

I’ve never been a great fan of Screwfix, and this hasn’t improved my opinion. I won’t be using them again, if I can go somewhere else. 

We seem to be moving into an environment of Just In Time supply, in which “Time” is defined as “at our convenience”. That doesn’t offer any useful service to the customer; as with my wife’s experience of John Lewis, when you can buy things which aren’t urgent on-Line, can buy most things which ARE urgent on-Line, and can’t buy things on demand in-store, why bother with the store? 

Meanwhile Bunnings in Australia, is having them queue up to get in (social distancing, of course) and limits of 4 people per aisle.

No sausage sizzle of course.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, midlands said:

For the List of vunerables to work people in that group MUST register on the appropiate website. And of course for delivery companies to do their job and recognise you as that vunerable person you must be a registered account holder for that company. Otherwise tesco's or whatever won't see your name and adress in the list...When you do finaly get that slot remember to make it a re-occuring slot so you allways have that day/time slot available.

good luck amigo's

Roger

I don't think that recurring slots are currently available - at least at Asda and Sainsburys.

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, rockershovel said:

A few minutes on the iPad identified the item as “click and collect” reasonably locally, tomorrow. Screwfix website provided no useful information about availability, so you can probably guess the rest. 

I’ve never been a great fan of Screwfix, and this hasn’t improved my opinion. I won’t be using them again, if I can go somewhere else. 

Rubbish

The stock in each store is clearly shown when you opt for click & collect.

I just picked an (unwanted!) item at random, selected a location and I had a list of about 6 stores and the stock in each.

No different to normal

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Metr0Land said:

It's not about me! I'm not in the category that would get a letter. The fact is currently in Wales if you aren't on the list of conditions that need shielding, but you are elderly, infirm and with other serious conditions (ie vulnerable but not on the list of people needing shielding) there is nothing formal, and if you don't have a support network you're really stuffed.  I have peole supporting me but know others that simply don't have friends/family nearby and eg are new to the neigbourhood.

Pretty sure that’s the same everywhere, until we got the letter today we had heard nothing about any help with shopping or anything, and we have no one near that can do any errands for us or friends/family near.......if it weren’t form two local “farm” shops that have started delivering we wouldn’t have had any essential provisions since beginning of March.

There are local support groups which have put leaflets...well not through the doors but left on the gate posts offering a hand, maybe there is a local one of those near you.....or the other you know?

Oh and about the elderly, my Mum lives with us and she is 92 and presently having cancer treatment, she has had no letter or even a call from a Doctor or Consultant......so maybe Cornwall is just as badly off as Wales?

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I have to say - despite the complaints voiced above by others - that I am full of admiration for the way that the UK Government has responded to what would have been, six weeks ago or less, an inconceivable situation.

That most of what we consider to be the essentials of life continue to be available, speaks volumes for the organisational competence of those charged with their administration.

Had I been asked at the time, I would have forecast apocalyptic scenes, with civil disorder and normal moral standards widely abandoned. Yes - their have been some incidents that demonstrate that there will always be a tiny minority who will seek to survive at the expense of the rest of us; but we knew that and despised them anyway.

I say - three cheers for us, and thank you and well done to all who provide essential services, together with the Government for pulling their collective fingers out and taking some truly bold and radical decisions!

John Isherwood.

PS. ..... and get well soon to Boris!

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 2
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I have to say - despite the complaints voiced above by others - that I am full of admiration for the way that the UK Government has responded to what would have been, six weeks ago or less, an inconceivable situation.

That most of what we consider to be the essentials of life continue to be available, speaks volumes for the organisational competence of those charged with their administration.

Had I been asked at the time, I would have forecast apocalyptic scenes, with civil disorder and normal moral standards widely abandoned. Yes - their have been some incidents that demonstrate that there will always be a tiny minority who will seek to survive at the expense of the rest of us; but we knew that and despised them anyway.

I say - three cheers for us, and thank you and well done to all who provide essential services, together with the Government for pulling their collective fingers out and taking some truly bold and radical decisions!

John Isherwood.

PS. ..... and get well soon to Boris!

I agree whole heartedly, but that seems to be a bit out of fashion.......better to shout and rant than pull in the same direction.

It pleases me somewhat to find opposing parties (nothing political implied) are for once all more or less of the same voice, a refreshing change.

• Agree 2

Sorry, not trying to rub it in, but Ocado released slots at 6pm last night. I went  online at that time and got my delivery at 2pm today - with no substituted items.  I don't know what their country coverage is, and appreciate some have difficulty shopping. From what I've read on this forum, it appeared that "shopping" was getting a little easier?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Rubbish

The stock in each store is clearly shown when you opt for click & collect.

I just picked an (unwanted!) item at random, selected a location and I had a list of about 6 stores and the stock in each.

No different to normal

Try finding out when something not in stock, will be available.... I really have better things to do, than traipse around multiple branches for a list of items. 

Edited by rockershovel
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

I don't think that recurring slots are currently available - at least at Asda and Sainsburys.

John Isherwood.

When you get your Priority Pass from Asda the access to recurring slots gets re enabled.

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

Try finding out when something not in stock, will be available.... I really have better things to do, than traipse around multiple branches for a list of items. 

That's not what you said which was this:

"Screwfix website provided no useful information about availability"

Which is rubbish as the site quite clearly tells you the stock in each branch.

Currently only those with a crystal ball could probably predict accurately when new stock arrives anywhere.

"I really have better things to do, than traipse around multiple branches for a list of items."

As the stock at each branch is shown that is a silly remark -It's just being petulant.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3