The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Jonboy said:

The flour industry are saying their issue is capacity to bag the flour into retail size bags as commercial sacks are typically 16kg and domestic sales are typically 4% of sales. I wonder what the equivalent figures are for milk and capacity of the bottling plants.

Yes, we have been lucky our local quayside shop bakes it’s own bread and has been able to supply us with flour in unmarked plastic bags, so at least we have been able to keep baking sour dour and getting milk......little blessings.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, rockershovel said:

I can’t remember the last time I had milk in a jug in a hotel, cafe or restaurant. There must be a huge plant somewhere producing those little plastic tubs of milk? 

Not available in our town, all the restaurants and tea shops only supply in jugs, we went plastic free last year, driven by local school kids, only paper straws as well.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Not available in our town, all the restaurants and tea shops only supply in jugs, we went plastic free last year, driven by local school kids, only paper straws as well.

What about the Premier Inn, Travelodge, other hotels, railway station, local employers’ canteens, bus station tea counter, chip shop and cake shop selling tea in paper cups to take away, pizza delivery.... 

6 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

What about the Premier Inn, Travelodge, other hotels, railway station, local employers’ canteens, bus station tea counter, chip shop and cake shop selling tea in paper cups to take away, pizza delivery.... 

Stop reminding us they're all shut, you cruel person! :P

2 hours ago, spikey said:

Pieless pie-eaters?  Whatever next!   In the circumstances, could you not petition the Mayor to issue a dispensation granting the good folk of Wigan the freedom to eat (forgive me for suggesting this) ... supermarket pies?  I know they're not proper pies, and I haven't actually tested one in a barm, but Pukka Pies aren't bad really once you get over the shock and most of the supermarkets seem to stock them.  And they're down from £1.75 to just £1.00 at most ...

Pukka pies ? - never tried them - the name puts me off.

Serious business -  I believe  the local Wigan plod are searching supermarket trolleys and arresting those with more than a dozen pies !!.

HELP - WE ARE STARVING 

As Matthew said - "A Wiganer cannot live on gravy alone" !!!!

Brit15

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

What about them?  We have no corporate Hotels in town, the Railway Station is a “Halt Terminus”.......employee’s canteens? Haha not here....There are no big employers that would have a canteen and the workers eat pasties for lunch from the local shops, it is a town policy (although I cannot vouch that some of the guest houses/private hotels might supply UHT milk in the rooms with the kettle, as for bus station, what’s a bus? :lol: 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, APOLLO said:

Serious business -  I believe  the local Wigan plod are searching supermarket trolleys and arresting those with more than a dozen pies !!.

HELP - WE ARE STARVING 

As Matthew said - "A Wiganer cannot live on gravy alone" !!!!

Brit15

The original threat of trolley raids came,I believe from the Chief Constable of the Northants force.For which outpouring of officious silliness he has had a public reprimand from our fearsome Home Secretary..she whom you cross at your peril.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Just had an e-mail from Aldi stating that all restrictions on purchase numbers come off next week as the shelves are well stocked throughout the day and they will be extending opening hours.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, APOLLO said:

Brit15

They are not bad, for a commercially available pie. Yes the fillings are quite runny, but I don't mind that as I eat them on a plate and not in a barm, or in my hand. 

There are some nice pies made here in Zyderland (Clive's, Piemininster) but they are twice as expensive as Pukka ones. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Just had an e-mail from Aldi stating that all restrictions on purchase numbers come off next week as the shelves are well stocked throughout the day and they will be extending opening hours.

Oh great, there go the toilet rolls again :lol:

My local large flour mill is fine with emailing an order in. However, only available in 14 kg bags.  Buyer collects.  Cheap at 3 times the price, and available [they're working 24/7 at present]......and darned good bread making flour too.  However, payment is by bank transfer only...One or two  local villages have 'clubbed' together  to put orders in, and fetch in  typical country vehicles, to save journeys..and make life easier for the mill by having a larger order. 

Bread flours, self raising & plain....one sack of SR ought to last a good month of home cake baking.

Yeast is in short supply, it appears.....as is powdered milk!

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, alastairq said:

Yeast is in short supply, it appears.....

We only bake Sour dough bread so no yeast just the starter kept in the fridge and a bit taken and added to each session.....lasts for years.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheQ said:

... there's no deliveroo here ...

Maybe the Council could usefully append that message in large brightly-coloured text below those "Welcome" signs at the County boundary?  If anything will keep the second-homers out, that must surely do it.

Edited by spikey
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, polybear said:

My Mum used to refer to them as pukey pies....

The favourite trainspotting location for our 'gang' was at Wigston Magna station on the Midland Mainline - right next to the "Pukey Pie Factory" - as it was universally known in the locality, even by those who worked there!

Perhaps a bit unfair - I had them from the local chippie on regular occasions, and they were perfectly palatable.

In later years I travelled in Oz and NZ, and the famous local pies have a remarkable similarity to "Pukey Pies"!

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

The favourite trainspotting location for our 'gang' was at Wigston Magna station on the Midland Mainline - right next to the "Pukey Pie Factory" - as it was universally known in the locality, even by those who worked there!

Then next to Leeming Bar station is the Vom, which is the local name for the Vale of Mowbray factory!

• Like 1

The FINEST and tastiest pies on the planet (and as a Wiganer I can vouch) are to be had from Cowards Butchers & Bakers in Frodsham Cheshire.

It was a treat to call there when I worked in that area, and always brought a selection home. Not been for a while but they're still going strong - I bet the Q outside stretches over the bridge to Widnes !!!

https://www.hecoward.co.uk/news/bakery-sue-cowards-pies

Check out Sues Pork Pie  Wedding  "Cake" !!!

Pukka pies they are not !!!!

Brit15

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My local pub does damned good pies, not going to be having one of those for a while :( Proper things, not a bowl of watery stew with stuff floating on top (shouldn't be allowed to be called a pie under trades descriptions), pastry all round, nice solid meat inside. The only one that isn't like that is the cheese and onion pie, but that's OK because it's a slice of a large proper pie.

• Like 1

I had my caravan on a seasonal pitch in Dufton, near Appleby, for three years or so. The pub in the village (the Stag) did a “pie of the day” several days a week, and very good it was, and hopefully will be again! 

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, APOLLO said:

I bet the Q outside stretches over the bridge to Widnes !!!

Brit15

I'm not even isolation distance long anymore... 

On 09/04/2020 at 12:47, tomparryharry said:

I now have a mental picture of a pizza delivery by Hermes. The driver stops 100 yards from the house, and delivers the pizza, frisbee fashion. 

Doesn't work for coleslaw, though......

Would I need a larger letterbox for the family sized purchases?

Not mine, they put it in your bin and deliver the card next door!

• Like 1