The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

3 hours ago, melmerby said:

Fresh milk in plastic bottles will last two weeks (just) but will be a few days past it's use by date, we are already doing that.

Freshly cut cheese off a deli counter will go off quickly, as will meat.

Pre-packed cheese will last much longer, it usually has a month or more but deteriorates rapidly once opened if it's not a hard cheese like Parmesan.

Tomatoes & lettuce are iffy, as can be oranges, although yesterday we finished some bought 12 days ago and they were fine.

Bananas are a definite no no. Apples probably OK.

A lot depends on how fresh stuff is and with it vanishing off the shelves quickly should mean most is.

Wrap the cheese, be it from the deli counter, or pre-wrapped, in greaseproof paper, rather than cling-film. It'll last a lot longer. You might find a degree of hardening on the surface, after a couple of weeks.

It does surprise me how long homogenised milk lasts; in my student days, milk used to turn after a day.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Wrap the cheese, be it from the deli counter, or pre-wrapped, in greaseproof paper, rather than cling-film. It'll last a lot longer. You might find a degree of hardening on the surface, after a couple of weeks.

It does surprise me how long homogenised milk lasts; in my student days, milk used to turn after a day.

Reliably informed by my keen cook and foodie (used to work at Neals Yard Dairy) of a DiL that Milk, Cheese, Butter etc will freeze fine.......although with the cheese it depends on the type as to how affected it is regarding texture and some flavour, but all perfectly safe.

If your worried about the Milk popping the cap, open poor a little out and resell while squeezing the bottle to get the milk to the top again, the bottle then has expansion room.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Fat Controller said:

Missus does wrap it in greaseproof but it can still spoil.

I usually scrape the blue mould off (and it's not Stilton)

I was told if it's blue it's OK, if it's black chuck it.

Just got some bread out the freezer that has been there since bought and it has some blue mould spots (N.B. the temperature is -20C)

I thought that couldn't happen!

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Reorte said:

I hope you'll agree that it's best if I don't go down to Tesco out of curiosity about what's on the shelves!

I obviously catch vouch for other stores, but where I work the stock levels have slowly and steadily come up to somewhere near normal on many lines, (I'm on fruit and veg). Where there are gaps on fruit and veg I'm guessing it is supply chain issues as one day we have plenty, then none, then plenty, for any particular line - not all of them!

I see a reasonable selection of toilets rolls, reasonable tin tomatoes, tin beans, soup etc. And a small selection of pasta.

We did have a long queue to check out (only alternate tills open due to SD), and when I left a long queue in the car park. I assume the pre-bank holiday stock-up has still taken place, albeit on a reduced scale,

cheers  

Edited by Rivercider
clarification
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Around here, milk has become a scarce item - both in the village shops and the supermarkets.

Yet TV reports today that dairy farmers are pouring milk away because it is not being collected from farms.

Something wrong there!

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Around here, milk has become a scarce item - both in the village shops and the supermarkets.

Yet TV reports today that dairy farmers are pouring milk away because it is not being collected from farms.

Something wrong there!

That’s not good......wonder what’s going on there?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, boxbrownie said:

That’s not good......wonder what’s going on there?

As they explained it, these farmers are supplying hospitality businesses (or rather the former hospitality industry) and can't easily switch the distribution network towards the supermarkets.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

We always keep 'Sterra'  (UHT) in stock, and we rotate it by use by date. We've cut down on cheese consumption, which is no bad thing. Bread seems ok-ish. I thought we'd run short on tea, but I'm advised that we are 'in stock'. 

Shopping is mostly back to normal in Smith Towers, just topping what we normally use. We do keep more in stock than we would normally keep in the house though. 

Keep safe everybody, and I guess we'll be out of this dark patch around Whitsun (about middle-late May.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

We always keep 'Sterra'  (UHT) in stock, and we rotate it by use by date. We've cut down on cheese consumption, which is no bad thing. Bread seems ok-ish. I thought we'd run short on tea, but I'm advised that we are 'in stock'. 

Shopping is mostly back to normal in Smith Towers, just topping what we normally use. We do keep more in stock than we would normally keep in the house though. 

Keep safe everybody, and I guess we'll be out of this dark patch around Whitsun (about middle-late May.

In some ways, perhaps. But for many of us, the long-term consequences will affect us for many years.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

Stood on end, and filled with compost or soil, toilet roll centres are good for starting off bean and pea seeds, and also leeks. Once they're ready to go out, make a hole with a trowel, and plant them out, without removing the roll.

Eggboxes are useful for smaller items. Remove the flap and lid, fill the cells with compost and seed, water and wait... When you're ready to plant, just separate the cells. Plant roots will go through the base without any problems. 

(Was this why we were so low on eggs recently? :jester:

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

As they explained it, these farmers are supplying hospitality businesses (or rather the former hospitality industry) and can't easily switch the distribution network towards the supermarkets.

it's not that it is difficult, but I don't think the farmers are allowed to switch who they sell to. One reoort last week said government were looking at it! (again looking but doing nothing). Maybe we should send in the army, as they seem to be the only group capable of orgabising anything. Without them we wold not have the temporary hospitals.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rue_d_etropal said:

it's not that it is difficult, but I don't think the farmers are allowed to switch who they sell to. One reoort last week said government were looking at it! (again looking but doing nothing). Maybe we should send in the army, as they seem to be the only group capable of orgabising anything. Without them we wold not have the temporary hospitals.

You mean the Army that the Government sent in? :D

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Rivercider said:

I obviously catch vouch for other stores, but where I work the stock levels have slowly and steadily come up to somewhere near normal on many lines, (I'm on fruit and veg). Where there are gaps on fruit and veg I'm guessing it is supply chain issues as one day we have plenty, then none, then plenty, for any particular line - not all of them!

I see a reasonable selection of toilets rolls, reasonable tin tomatoes, tin beans, soup etc. And a small selection of pasta.

We did have a long queue to check out (only alternate tills open due to SD), and when I left a long queue in the car park. I assume the pre-bank holiday stock-up has still taken place, albeit on a reduced scale,

cheers  

When the panic was beginning, I was fortunate that I had already been able to get most of my normal shop from my usual supermarkets.  Over the ensuing couple of days, various trips out for other reasons (this was pre-lockdown) meant I also visited three other supermarkets within easy reach of home.  The level of panic buying did seem to vary - one store was almost completely stripped of everything (NO exaggeration).  The poor staff looked shell-shocked, and I really felt for them.
My local Morrison’s seemed to be coping the best, so I have continued to do my shopping there.  As Rivercider notes of their store, sometimes it is a bit hit or miss on certain product lines where I shop too, but I’ve managed to get what we need each time (with some substitutions).  I note though that it was always a bit quieter there than some other places beforehand.  Perhaps that’s something to bear in mind?
From what I’ve heard, queues elsewhere have continued to be longer - and it’ll be a long time before I go back to the store that was worst affected: even though I’ve always found the staff there to be very good, I don’t fancy getting caught up in all that again.

My observation: local factors - customer dynamics and general busyness of the stores previously may be relevant to how individual stores are now managing - perhaps local management too?  Where I live, these factors seem more relevant than store name.

Keith.

Disclaimer: I recognise I am in the very fortunate position of not being required or currently needing to fully self-isolate, of having a car and living in an urban area with a choice of most of the major supermarkets (all except Waitrose), so I have choices.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Something wrong there!

Muller Dairies, which supply supermarkets as well as catering businesses say overall milk consumption is down, so there is a surplus which they can't sell.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Another week passed and supermarkets are still struggling in my neck of Surrey.

no milk, cheese, deli meats of any kind, very little alcohol and no chocolate, no oranges, strawberries...

But as side that they seem to be filled up on other goods supermarket was finally about 3/4 full.  Had my first celery in 2 weeks today. 

Butchers has come up good though.. steaks, pork, lamb etc.. its all there... its been bacon and sausage for a few weeks.

In short its getting better, still though I hear the local big supermarkets had 3 hour queues today, so i’m sticking to my philosophy of the smaller stores.. no queues there, though i’m missing Halloumi cheese, olives.. no source for them in a month.

I saw the BBC article about milk... I find it odd as the local stores in my area cant seem to get it and are still limiting to 1 bottle per customer visit, occasionally as today, running out... there must be two sides to this story..

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I've not been near Wigan town centre (just over a mile away) for the last 3 weeks, I use Aldi & Lidl just outside town, with seemingly no shortages of late.

Speaking to my mate on the phone the other day he had gone to town by bus - and was shocked  - ALL THE PIE SHOPS WERE CLOSED !!!!!!!!!!!!! . Never, never happened before, even in WW1 & WW2 the pie shops were open !!

Milk, cheese, deli meats of any kind, alcohol chocolate,oranges, & strawberries  we Wiganers can live without - 

But NO PIES ?????

Brit15

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Muller Dairies, which supply supermarkets as well as catering businesses say overall milk consumption is down, so there is a surplus which they can't sell.

And yet we are told the UK is a net importer of milk and milk products.  Perhaps it is the milk products that is the issue.  Have we all been importing foreign cheese?  That is a disgrace!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

The flour industry are saying their issue is capacity to bag the flour into retail size bags as commercial sacks are typically 16kg and domestic sales are typically 4% of sales. I wonder what the equivalent figures are for milk and capacity of the bottling plants.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

... Disclaimer: I recognise I am in the very fortunate position of not being required or currently needing to fully self-isolate, of having a car and living in an urban area with a choice of most of the major supermarkets (all except Waitrose), so I have choices.

Nice one Keith.  Would that some other contributors to this thread could also appreciate that not everyone's lifestyle or circumstances are as comfortable as their own.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, APOLLO said:

Milk, cheese, deli meats of any kind, alcohol chocolate,oranges, & strawberries  we Wiganers can live without - 

But NO PIES ?????

Pieless pie-eaters?  Whatever next!   In the circumstances, could you not petition the Mayor to issue a dispensation granting the good folk of Wigan the freedom to eat (forgive me for suggesting this) ... supermarket pies?  I know they're not proper pies, and I haven't actually tested one in a barm, but Pukka Pies aren't bad really once you get over the shock and most of the supermarkets seem to stock them.  And they're down from £1.75 to just £1.00 at most ...

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

I find pukka pies mostly  liquid, not much meat,  in a barm that could be very messy..  I generally try to avoid pukka pies. 

Being out in the countryside, our local supermarkets were not as badly hit by the hoarders.( though toilet rolls disappeared) , I guess because many keep more stock at home anyway,  you can't just pop round the corner to shop.

Our supermarkets are doing more business though,  as many second homers got here before the lock down,  I suspect they are the ones with toilet roll mountains. 

Many of the second homers come up here normally and then eat out all the time.  I suspect many do that in London. However there's no deliveroo here and many are beyond the distance the nearest chippies and Chinese will deliver. It must be a struggle for them remember how to cook... 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2