The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

Well, of course. They won’t get a brass farthing from any of the schemes being cried to the heavens, and they know it. 

Neither can they go home now.  Many of those I see every day are East Europeans.  I am told they are speaking Polish or Latvian by colleagues whose languages those are.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

Ah right thanks for clarifying , a Jewsons decision not a HMG edict.

Not an edict no

“We will only be delivering materials and Tool Hire for essential infrastructure and services. We have outlined below examples, based on government guidance (The Scottish Government have excluded Schools from Essential Services) the sorts of essential services we will support”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

All the major corporate construction businesses have suspended operations other than for safety-critical tasks and site security purposes so far as I am aware.  However the smaller firms and (often self-employed) one-man construction operations seem to be still very much at work.  

I believe construction continues at Hinkley Point C, so presumably their myriad suppliers are still operating. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

I believe construction continues at Hinkley Point C, so presumably their myriad suppliers are still operating. 

That project may fall under the umbrella of "safety-critical" works.  Many of the buses currently redundant in Cornwall, plus their drivers, have been redeployed to staff transport on that project for the time being.  

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

The regular cement train from Clitheroe to Avonmouth - apparently much of which is destined for Hinkley construction, has not run for a week. It normally runs 3, sometimes 4, trips per week.

Edited by newbryford
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, melmerby said:

Another kind of panic buying:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52205655

I heard one commentator saying they were in short supply due to panic buying.

Didn't notice them in Sainsbugs.........:(

I know at least one big sailmaker has been contracted to make many more.. 

I've not been following this thread and don't know if this Walmart CEO observation was shared on the phases of panic-buying:

Week 1: Hand sanitizers, soaps and disinfectants

Week 2: Toilet paper

Weeks 3 and 4: Spiral hams and baking yeast

Week 5: Hair clippers and hair dye on the rise

Apparently men are anxious about the length of their hair and women's roots are now growing out.

Personally I would add flour and sugar to Week 3. A large pork processor supplying percentage points of US pork products in the US has closed due to COVID-19 hitting workers at the factory. These sort of supply chain disruptions might factor as well as things develop.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I've not been following this thread and don't know if this Walmart CEO observation was shared on the phases of panic-buying:

Apparently men are anxious about the length of their hair and women's roots are now growing out.

Personally I would add flour and sugar to Week 3. A large pork processor supplying percentage points of US pork products in the US has closed due to COVID-19 hitting workers at the factory. These sort of supply chain disruptions might factor as well as things develop.

All we need is one BBC journalist to add “black 0-6-0 goods engines” to the list and many of the model railway industries problems are solved.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

UK version

Week 1: Toilet Rolls

Week 2: Toilet Rolls, Pasta & Rice

Week 3: Toilet Rolls, Pasta & Rice, Tins,

Week 4 onwards: Anything that fits in a supermarket trolley............................:jester:

17 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Jewsons and TP are still going but for only account holders and if they themselves have PROOF they are working on a “priority” job, might be the same for others around the country.

Following Travis Perkins supply limitation the build of the cedar clad timber workshop in the garden is on hold (it was due to start on 30th March). Not only will TP not supply the builders who are account holders but the double gazed door and window and the roof rubber membrane suppliers also closed their doors.

However, small building projects seem to be proceeding locally (as seen on our various daily exercise walks), so presumably other locals builders merchants are supplying account holders although the three Jewsons branches are now listed as closed.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

.  However the smaller firms and (often self-employed) one-man construction operations seem to be still very much at work.  

I suppose it is easier to keep social separation when your working alone.......

Around here there is still a fair bit of building work going on, extensions/conversions/landscaping etc

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Not being able to get American bacon won't be any great loss!

Mike.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

A local garden contractor was supposed to be coming to cut down some elders for me (trees that is not Presbyterians). But he has not shown up despite being perfectly able to work while keeping "social distance". He said when he came to look at the job, early days of lock down, that he had been receiving abuse from some passers-by for being out working.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Following Travis Perkins supply limitation the build of the cedar clad timber workshop in the garden is on hold (it was due to start on 30th March). Not only will TP not supply the builders who are account holders but the double gazed door and window and the roof rubber membrane suppliers also closed their doors.

However, small building projects seem to be proceeding locally (as seen on our various daily exercise walks), so presumably other locals builders merchants are supplying account holders although the three Jewsons branches are now listed as closed.

I have not been able to get uPVC doors or windows either.

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Indeed, same issue here more or less, our shed (actually large summer house/storage) started leaking a lot during Jan/Feb unfortunately it never stopped raining enough before the lockdown to repair and now we are in the position you seem to be, no supplies or able to supply small building materials, even roofing felt on Amazon is all “unavailable” everything in the shed is going rusty or mouldy, now we get good weather we cannot get the felt!

7 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Indeed, same issue here more or less, our shed (actually large summer house/storage) started leaking a lot during Jan/Feb unfortunately it never stopped raining enough before the lockdown to repair and now we are in the position you seem to be, no supplies or able to supply small building materials, even roofing felt on Amazon is all “unavailable” everything in the shed is going rusty or mouldy, now we get good weather we cannot get the felt!

My wife was able to get a garden shed delivered from a local, privately owned, garden centre. Although "closed" their website was still open and contact by email got a result. The price included delivery. On the other hand, another local private garden centre wasn't willing to supply, even they they too were contacted and replied to an email. Disappointing as there was some other items we wanted from their catalogue.

It  might be that a local business might be able/willing to supply what you want. The local, traditional, stocks nearly everything you can think of, hardware shop takes telephone orders for pre-paid collection. You pull up outside at the agreed time and the bagged items are put out on the pavement for you to pick up. The problem will be when they run out of their relatively limited stocks of the popular items and cannot get more supplies. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

A local garden contractor was supposed to be coming to cut down some elders for me (trees that is not Presbyterians). But he has not shown up despite being perfectly able to work while keeping "social distance". He said when he came to look at the job, early days of lock down, that he had been receiving abuse from some passers-by for being out working.

A word of advice from someone who is plagued constantly by other gardens overhanging elders.Generally,the more you cut the pests,the more they rejuvenate and grow.If at all possible,destroy the roots by the use of chemical agents. I can’t do that but I have to use a powered pole trimmer to prevent invasive growth regularly.The elder is an “unsociable “ weed.

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

It  might be that a local business might be able/willing to supply what you want. The local, traditional, stocks nearly everything you can think of, hardware shop takes telephone orders for pre-paid collection. You pull up outside at the agreed time and the bagged items are put out on the pavement for you to pick up. The problem will be when they run out of their relatively limited stocks of the popular items and cannot get more supplies. 

Thanks for the info, unfortunately all the local garden centres are closed around here, well both of them! And the only small independent builders/wood yard is still open and delivering but they only have two rolls of felt, we need five :(

Still trying though, not giving up yet.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

I have exactly the same problem! With mine, it turned out that the previous owners, who built it, nailed the felt on through the overlaps instead of using a bitumen glue - with the result that over time some of the nails had lifted enough for water to get through.

I managed to get hold of a tin of Johnson's roof seal from Screwfix, which is a rubbery paint that forms a waterproof seal - painted that on over the joins, nails etc and hopefully it'll work at least until things are back to normal and I can redo it properly.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

A word of advice from someone who is plagued constantly by other gardens overhanging elders.Generally,the more you cut the pests,the more they rejuvenate and grow.If at all possible,destroy the roots by the use of chemical agents. I can’t do that but I have to use a powered pole trimmer to prevent invasive growth regularly.The elder is an “unsociable “ weed.

How right you are!

I have past experience. One self-seeded on my grandmother's grave and it took us years to kill it off. It's now just a dead stump (or rather a cluster of stumps) but, being in a cemetery, makes it difficult to get a digger in to uproot it.

So I know that it will reshoot more than ever but at least I have managed to get it out of the neighbour's way for the time being until the garden contractor can come and kill it off. And down to a height where I can pluck off the new shoots.

• Friendly/supportive 2