Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

RMweb is 15

Happy 15th Birthday RMWeb !

It seems rather odd to be posting birthday wishes to a 'virtual club' on an internet forum, but, since joining the 'electronic society', RMWeb has become an important part of my current daily routine.

First, I'd like to add my thanks to Andy for creating RMweb and for his hard work over all these years, which has made this forum one of the best model railway communities in the World and an excellent social enterprise too (1).

I was encouraged to join the internet society nearly ten years ago, by my friends and modelling colleagues, Chris (2manyspams) and Damian (Indomitable026) and, after a couple of months lurking, I enlisted with a handle reflecting one of my other passions (watching Westerns on the telly-box) and an avatar from 1968.

It has been a remarkable modelling journey since then, meeting so many talented model-makers and railway enthusiasts, like Paul (Worsdell forever) and Stu (Stubby 47) to mention just a couple of those who have already posted in this topic.

Over the years, I've also found that all the questions, discussions and topics on RMweb are treated with the same respect; from 'bashing Pugs', (or Polly and Nellie!), 'building bridges' and even 'marking sheep', to 'making a point in P4'.  But, without all the members' contributions, including those prototype answers from some of the railway professionals, like Mike (The Stationmaster), the forum would not be such a friendly and genuinely inspiring place to visit in this increasingly, crazy and confusing World, and the hobby would be so much the poorer without it.

So, thanks again Andy for RMWeb and on a personal level for all your help and encouragement over the last 3,113 Earth days ! (2)

All the very best,

John.

(1) Thanks also to the Mods . . .and Wendy too!

(2)  It will be 10 years in November, when in 2010 RMWeb already had 10,250 members

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Rhb Simon said:

I've been a member in one name or another since the early days. I remember Andy's wharf layout he built which was a nice bit of modelling.

I also remember the show were he left one of the buildings at home & had to make one very quickly

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

I’ve only been here for about 3½ years, mostly moaning about Bachmann lead times

It feels longer than that. ;)

• Funny 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Wow 15 years old...... Even more scary I have been a member for 12 years....

Most of the people who are members, that I have come across, actually try to make the site better and offer real genuine advice. For the betterment of the contributor but also for the lay reader. Personally I don't make all that many posts  but I do read a lot of what I am interested in. There is a lot of light hearted banter, a lot of very good modelling occasional slips off topic.... A great place to drop into when the mood strikes! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

22 minutes ago, DougN said:

Wow 15 years old...... Even more scary I have been a member for 12 years....

Most of the people who are members, that I have come across, actually try to make the site better and offer real genuine advice. For the betterment of the contributor but also for the lay reader. Personally I don't make all that many posts  but I do read a lot of what I am interested in. There is a lot of light hearted banter, a lot of very good modelling occasional slips off topic.... A great place to drop into when the mood strikes! 

Occasional slips off topic?????

Doug, this is you and me we're talking about: expert and chronic thread hijackers, both! :devil:  :jester:

I can't remember exactly how long I have been on here, but it would be around the same as DougN.

Happy 15th birthday RMweb, anyway. :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, SRman said:

Occasional slips off topic?????

Doug, this is you and me we're talking about: expert and chronic thread hijackers, both! :devil:  :jester:

I can't remember exactly how long I have been on here, but it would be around the same as DougN.

Happy 15th birthday RMweb, anyway. :)

its on your membership long in.... I have just checked you! it was the 11th Oct 2009.... I thought you would have been around longer!...

Then again your right... we are hijacking the thread off in another direction!  

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, DougN said:

its on your membership long in.... I have just checked you! it was the 11th Oct 2009.... I thought you would have been around longer!...

Then again your right... we are hijacking the thread off in another direction!  

The change to the Invision software in October 2009 saw a number of members (including myself) from before the change 'lose' their history, with the clock resetting from then. I believe we're called the '15%ers'... :)

• Agree 3

Happy Birthday RMweb!

Despite me being a relatively new member as I signed up in January 2018 what I have learned and seen on here is amazing. There’s so much to choose from and explore! For me it’s been a place where I can ask questions about certain things that I cannot find the answer to on my own and I always get help from another person! It’s really nice to find layouts that are right up your street like Davidson Parkway. Warrington Bank Quay, the northern approach and many others! Ever since I have signed up I have enjoyed every bit of it and my knowledge has grown so much!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I have posted this before but for the benefit of those who have not seen it, this is an old BRM forum post where Andy York introduces himself as a serial lurker.  How times have changed. ;)

20200316_072212.jpg.8ca4581a8a033157e66029f01fc3404e.jpg

Here is the full thread. It's in Word format as way back then I did not have the luxury of screenshots, but I did have the feeling that this was the start of something big.  And it was!

RMWeb beginnings.docx

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, AY Mod said:

It feels longer than that. ;)

‘But in fairness Johnston took over from me complaining about Bachmann prices . Probably why it feels longer!   It is amazing how time flies . It doesn’t seem like 15 years 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Whatever happened to Fatso?

Is he still here under a different name?

I sincerely hope not.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

I wasn't quite there at the start, my first post was on 12th June 2006 when I introduced myself (after having been lurking for a while) and posted some photos of Foundry Lane, a small EM gauge shunting plank that I was building at the time.  Good to see a few of the members who replied to my first post are still regularly posting here, sadly there are a few who are no longer here for one reason or another.  Much of the stock I built for Foundry Lane would go on the be part of the fleet for Black Country Blues.

DSC01603.JPG.26fc527cdfcdceb9f048ddbd3550a08e.JPG

The two MDVs below bring back several RMweb-related memories.  They were built from the Chivers kit for use on Foundry Lane, were weathered using a technique I was shown at a RMweb member's day at the Chasewater Railway and have appeared on BCB at all the shows it has done so far.  They are seen here sitting on the slightly wider rails of Fryers Lane.

IMG_20200316_084657.jpg.57aad393d706145030f94b894ce66ae8.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Happy Birthday RMweb and a big thanks to Andy and crew for starting and continuing to provide this wonderful website. 

I've been a member since 2009 and have gained so much from being on here. 

The inspirational standard of modelling along with help and advice has always been a strong point with RMweb. 

However the lighter side of life also shines through and brings a welcome relief to the daily grind of life. 

I've met some good friends in Pete-BcnPete and Alex-Wiggoforgold on here and been inspired by their modelling. 

One thread I always head to is Robin Sweet's A Nod to Brent. Wonderful modelling of the post war GWR in South Devon. The light hearted banter is always a welcome relief. 

Other highlights include Peterborough North by Gilbert, Rob's Sheep chronicles, Mikkel's Farthing chronicles and Tony Wright's thread. 

Members day at Stafford in 2011 was memorable with a great selection of quality layouts. I operated the lovely Culreoch with Jamie that day and had a great time. 

RMweb has enabled me to progress as a modeller also and building Juniper Hill resulted in meeting AY and an appearance in BRM. 

Since then I have built Wadenhoe Road in 009 and am now building my next layout. 

Thanks once again to AY and all those involved in RMweb. Here's to the future. 

Cheers, 

Mark 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Congratulations Dear Leader!

Where has the time gone? I remember RMweb 1 which CK recommended that I look at. I joined in 2009 and only looked before 0600 hrs as I only had 'dial-up' which was cheap(er) before that time.

Such memories!

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Johns post reminds me of the terrific friendships which came about as a direct result of RMweb putting people in touch who might not otherwise have come into contact with each other. When I lived in York, through my friendships in the Hull MRS I met Captain Kernow and Not Jeremy in a pub in Barton on Humber whilst on their great northern railway trip. A year or so later when we had moved to Wales they came to stay for a weekend on their great welsh railway trip. Not that long after a repeat visit was made with the party swollen to four with the inclusion of John (Re6/6) and Cookie. More visits have been made over the years and firm friendships forged,

; I have some of John's beautifully crafted trees that were to have made an appearance on Morfa set aside safely in a plastic stacker box waiting to be deployed on Northern Town.

I've many happy memories I wouldn't otherwise have had.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2