Farish Due Soon

Crepello

On 23/12/2022 at 22:32, John M Upton said:

Does the Farish 47 tooling include the original three part fixed radiator grills though?

Yes, all 'new tool' Farish BR two-tone green 47s with small yellow panels have the as-built, fixed grilles.

A two-tone green 47 with SYP has never been done in N with the Serck shutters, unfortunately.

On 28/12/2022 at 22:20, Davexoc said:

What, like this one?

Wasn't a TOPS numbered one originally, and around 10 years old now.....

Yep, that's the one, 371-826 in the first run of 2008 I believe so nearly 15 years ago now(!), numbered as 1764 and not easy to find these days. Never been done with a Small Yellow Panel, or a FYE and TOPS number on the Serck grilles body.

We have finally just got our first ever BR Green Class 24 with a Small Yellow Panel after a 12 year wait though, so that's a nice bonus. We have been treated to four different two-tone green locos, BR did paint six in two-tone so I can see why we needed four of those as opposed to one in plain green SYP, of which there were dozens...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 11/11/2022 at 08:02, TomE said:

They’re the same (same liveries, same tender types) just smaller 😉

Tom.

Is the BR1 tender on the 5MT the first time Bachman have done that type of tender?

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, MrSimon said:

Is the BR1 tender on the 5MT the first time Bachman have done that type of tender?

It's the first time that they've done a BR1 with a black 5MT.  It was only done with a green 5MT previously.

Simon 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/12/2022 at 16:42, Crepello said:

Talking of 47s, a green FYP one would be good.

I think green FYP is the best livery for a Brush 4 and it would be good to see Farish do a re-run sometime. Its a very good model. Luckily I got one from the previous run sometime in the past. I've added a little "road dirt" so she looks like she has been out on the road a bit. She gets plenty of work even though she isn't an hydraulic. 🙂

4701.jpg.92c789bcc015d0c21d9dabf8e9f4a563.jpg

4703.jpg.04b9fa09dc4e519082223253e781c7db.jpg

4702.jpg.ab267243e11bc25c7c9e05005e971929.jpg

Edited by Chris M
  • Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Release dates for the pre-2020 models as listed on the Bachmann website:

Jan/Feb
Class 220

May/Jun
LNER J39
Mk1 SK

Jun/Jul
BR Std 5MT
Class 14
LMS Stanier Full Brake

Jul/Aug
HAA & HFA Hopper

Aug/Sep
Class 47/7
Mk1 BSK

Sep/Oct
Class 158

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

So looking at that list, the May list will be interesting with Mk1 SK's coming, will we see an extra number added to the Blue and Grey, possibly an SO as well to boost the main portion of trains?

Also August/September lists the 47 and Mk1 BSK, is the 47 back to sound? It would be crazy they tooled the 14 and 60 to have sound but not the 47 now. Again another batch of Mk1's so will we see extra's land to give them something to pull 

• RMweb Gold

From the BCC magazine: 

livery samples received or awaited :

Class 158 (see here for photos of those

Class 450

Class 47 (Crewe Cut) Photos of RES, Colas and Virgin samples shown in the magazine 

In Production:

Class 14 (sound upgrade)

5MT (Sound upgrade)

On their way:

Class 60 (Sound upgrade)

4F (Sound upgrade) 

Tom. 

58 minutes ago, TomE said:

Just noticed the Bachmann website now carries some images of the paint samples for the Crew Cut 47s, which can be seen here

Tom. 

Still saying, highlighting even, these are 6 pin DCC.

Was really hoping that when they arrive it would be to a fanfare of Next 18 chassis, maybe, maybe.....

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Was really hoping that when they arrive it would be to a fanfare of Next 18 chassis, maybe, maybe.....

If they’d done a simple retool of the body and left them as 6pin I’m pretty sure they’d have been released already. I expect they’ll be Next 18 & speaker fitted, most likely with sound fitted options also available at release. 

Tom. 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, woodenhead said:

When they were first announced they had a Next -18 and sound version - can't remember which was the sound one. They then dropped it to catch up on the backlog, But if they had readded the sound as an option, they wouldn't say till it lands - see the 08

Just now, Ed-farms said:

When they were first announced they had a Next -18 and sound version - can't remember which was the sound one. They then dropped it to catch up on the backlog, But if they had readded the sound as an option, they wouldn't say till it lands - see the 08

I don't think they were next18 then - it's been that long, but they were going to do sound fitted.

The DMUs 101/108 all had spaces for speakers when introduced and they were 6pin.

Have the Warships arrived yet, they are due and there has been no fanfare about them becoming Next18/speaker fitted which is a shame as it feels like the first re-release in a long time that hasn't gone through an upgrade, then I remember the class 24s......

However, I have been slowly going through my diesels and fitting them with speakers in the cab space rather than take a chunk out of the metal.

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Have the Warships arrived yet, 

Bachmann's website suggests that they have arrived, however they are not showing in any shops yet. 

22 hours ago, woodenhead said:

I don't think they were next18 then - it's been that long, but they were going to do sound fitted.

Definitely was planned for DCC, see here

In particular

"

Class 47 LONG RANGE FUEL TANK VERSIONS (NEW TOOLING)
This year we are adding to our range of class 47 models and are now going to offer an all new ‘extended range’ class 47. During the 1990s a number of class 47/4s were fitted with long range fuel tanks and RCH jumper cables for working mail and parcels trains, becoming class 47/7. Those locomotives fitted with just the extended fuel tanks for passenger work become class 47/8. We will be producing these locomotives for the first time with a ‘Crewe cut’ buffer beam

372-260 Class 47 No. 47814 'Totnes Castle' in Virgin livery
New Body Tooling and Revised Chassis Tooling incorporating Next18 DCC decoder socket and pre-fitted speaker for ease of Digital Sound installation
372-261DS Class 47 No. 47727 'Rebecca' in Colas livery (DCC Sound)
New Body Tooling and Revised Chassis Tooling to enable Digital Sound fitting – factory fitted to this model."

Hopefully they never dropped it behind closed doors. Given the 31 and N in the same announcement had next 18.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

@Ed-farms It's still strange that they insist in the catalogue that they are 6 Pin DCC when back in 2018 they were Next18 and they have been in gestation so long, so surely they are going to be Next18 with sound fitted options.

It's just that nagging feeling - the class 24, the class 42 and all those recent class 37s still being 6pin and no sound.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

@Ed-farms It's still strange that they insist in the catalogue that they are 6 Pin DCC when back in 2018 they were Next18 and they have been in gestation so long, so surely they are going to be Next18 with sound fitted options.

It's just that nagging feeling - the class 24, the class 42 and all those recent class 37s still being 6pin and no sound.

Hopefully the first part is right and the last part is wrong, I was hoping the last batch of 37's would gewt the sound upgrade but no joy yet. Maybe next time 

Im looking forward to the 47s although the tooling only just holds up these days, they would sell more if sound was now an option and I guess the profit margins are a lot more with sound fitted which may justify the chassis retool?  Judging by the large runs of 08s and 37s recently and livery artwork available for its new larger scale brother, I hope in the summer announcment there are some more livery variations, Intercity swallow and a GWR150 I would pre order!

Although it's impossible to tell with the move to quarterly announcement I have been wondering for a while if Bachmann are now focusing more of the farish development budget on sound upgrades than brand new tooling. It's speculation of course but it could explain why so much of the tooling, particularly steam, has not been used for a while if chassis upgrades are in development

There seems every possibility that anything scheduled may actually appear with a previously uunannounced sound upgrade, was this the case with the 4F, but of course some releases, such as the 37 buck that too.

I also wonder about much requested stuff like the 25/3. Would we realistically expect that without a sound upgrade to the 25 chassis.

Of course sound isn't for everyone but I would think there are sales in, for example, the first 66 in N with sound alongside a wide choice for dealer specials. Same with the 37 but perhaps the recent volume of liveries released suggests that's further away

But as I said, just speculation, my track record on predictions is not good

Rob

The 25/3 has been out of availability for sometime and would be an obvious candidate for a retool with sound, but others have indicated that Farish don't feel they've exploited the current chassis 24/25 bodies enough yet which puts a sound class 25/3 followed by sound 24/25s a bit down the line.  The 37 given it is a contemporary loco on the mainline even today as well as the 47 should be obvious contenders for a sound upgrade, yet last year we had several dealer specials that are the existing tooling.

So with Farish it appears there are no guarantees of anything, which is why despite all indications that a much delayed 47 retool for a Crewe Cut should really mean a chassis upgrade too with sound, there could still be just a 6 pin DCC loco appearing in a few months.

18 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

The 25/3 has been out of availability for sometime and would be an obvious candidate for a retool with sound, but others have indicated that Farish don't feel they've exploited the current chassis 24/25 bodies enough yet which puts a sound class 25/3 followed by sound 24/25s a bit down the line.  The 37 given it is a contemporary loco on the mainline even today as well as the 47 should be obvious contenders for a sound upgrade, yet last year we had several dealer specials that are the existing tooling.

So with Farish it appears there are no guarantees of anything, which is why despite all indications that a much delayed 47 retool for a Crewe Cut should really mean a chassis upgrade too with sound, there could still be just a 6 pin DCC loco appearing in a few months.

I'd  certainly agree on the guarantees and there seems little consistency in the approach

It feels like there's only been a couple of batches of the new 25 and none for several years. Contrast with the 31 that went to upgrade after only one release including the addition of refurbished tooling. I suppose that allowed for exploitation of numerous liveries as we've seen with general and dealer special releases

Maybe there isn't the variety of liveries to do the same with the 25 but there are variations on green and the odd depot pet which Farish seem to like.

Ultimately you can only exploit tooling by releasing models but that just takes us back to the familiar and increasingly circular discussion

It does appear that the sound fitted stuff sells well unless the livery is particularly obscure. I do sense there's probably a few too many 08s at once but a quick re release of the staple blue and green is encouraging. There do still seem to be delays in some of the sound 08s, and some 31s too so I wonder if chip supply has also curtailed more sound upgrade Announcements

Who knows, not me for sure

Rob

On 08/02/2023 at 19:04, Suffolk Rob said:

Although it's impossible to tell with the move to quarterly announcement I have been wondering for a while if Bachmann are now focusing more of the farish development budget on sound upgrades than brand new tooling. It's speculation of course but it could explain why so much of the tooling, particularly steam, has not been used for a while if chassis upgrades are in development

There seems every possibility that anything scheduled may actually appear with a previously uunannounced sound upgrade, was this the case with the 4F, but of course some releases, such as the 37 buck that too.

I also wonder about much requested stuff like the 25/3. Would we realistically expect that without a sound upgrade to the 25 chassis.

Of course sound isn't for everyone but I would think there are sales in, for example, the first 66 in N with sound alongside a wide choice for dealer specials. Same with the 37 but perhaps the recent volume of liveries released suggests that's further away

But as I said, just speculation, my track record on predictions is not good

Rob

I'm new in modeling British N Gauge and for building my (small) roster, I only choose DCC sound fitted locomotives. So, as I've choosed Era 5 I'm also waiting Sound fitted or easily fitted Warships

Edited by fguy