The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Self isolation support group

Neil

Message added by AY Mod

Please keep this thread free of Coronavirus information or discussion, there are two other threads to go into details if one wishes to visit.

• RMweb Premium

What is all this stuff about getting fat during the lockdown, I have lost 8 pounds in 6 weeks......doing me the world of good, and my pre diabetic nurse will be very pleased :lol:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

What is all this stuff about getting fat during the lockdown, I have lost 8 pounds in 6 weeks......doing me the world of good, and my pre diabetic nurse will be very pleased :lol:

My wife is also losing weight, not sure how, with our new diet of exactly what we had before lockdown! Maybe it is the walks she has to do following her hip replacement and not ending up at Starbucks most days. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

A lot of people eat when they are unhappy - comfort eating and there are a lot of very unhappy people out there who can't cope with the current situation.

PS I have lost all the weight that I put on when we were in New Zealand in February. All that heavy work in the garden!

Edited by Killybegs
addition
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Killybegs said:

A lot of people eat when they are unhappy - comfort eating and there are a lot of very unhappy people out there who can't cope with the current situation.

PS I have lost all the weight that I put on when we were in New Zealand in February. All that heavy work in the garden!

Yes but I think it might be they are eating because they are just bored TBH, and drinking as well of course.

• Like 1

On 04/05/2020 at 17:15, Killybegs said:

i'm certainly someone who "can't cope with the current situation" - for the last 6 weeks of lockdown and the foreseeable future, I feel far worse than "the normal state of human unhappiness" as identified by Freud .

But like Killybegs, I do find it helps to keep myself frenetically busy -

• outside: battling at keeping the 'wild look' garden looking just this side of totally abandoned through these weeks when one can actually hear the stinging nettles remustering for new offensives, 
  • inside: actively reclaiming areas long lost to clutter and wet winter dilapidations. 
  • I'm actually close to restoring perimeter running on the big old DCC roundy-round as I rid my workroom and study from layers of Mr Toad-like past crazes,
  • tackle overstuffed cupboards, and even venture into corners of the cellar long forgotten.

I'm certain I sleep better when I've really kept on with tiring waking hours physical activity. 

I really hate long periods of insomnia -  in the small hours all manner of anxieties coalese  to seem overwhelmingly insoluble.

An unexpected bonus is I've also shed a stone and a half of paunch!

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Well I broke isolation a week ago today after 6/7 weeks.  The battery on our #1 vehicle packed up and it really was a no choice situation.  Very well done though,  phoned, paid and arranged to have the battery at the dealers door.  Total exchange time was no more than 30 secs.  Not quiet as easy replacement though.  The Santa Fe has a new fangled battery post attachment with almost no movement and would not clamp firmly to the post.  Research suggests it is a fairly common problem and that there is a product 'Battery Terminal Shims' that does a lot better job than the Heath Robinson fix I was contemplating.   Did mean another trip though.  What a strange sensation it was going out, almost one of wonderment.  More people out than I had expected.   Then last Thursday I went to the Beer Store.  Very strict protocol returns and purchases separated.  Security Guard enforcing one person in store and distancing whilst waiting.   Ontario is starting to open up and whilst II must admit to some serious concerns, it is pleasant to get out even just a little bit.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Got a conundrum.

I have a smoke alarm that has gone faulty, bought at Argos (in a Sainsbury's)

Still under warranty I want to excahnge it at the Sainsbury's I bought it at.

However Argos website said you should only take products back during essential shopping in Sainsbury's!

Normally the entrance to the Argos is right next to one of two store entrances but this has been closed and you need to use the one at the opposite end of the store, adhering to all the crowd control/social distancing measures etc.

I don't want to shop in Sainsbury's so what do I do?:scratchhead:

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Got a conundrum.

However Argos website said you should only take products back during essential shopping in Sainsbury's!

Normally the entrance to the Argos is right next to one of two store entrances but this has been closed and you need to use the one at the opposite end of the store, adhering to all the crowd control/social distancing measures etc.

A job for Sainsbury’s Customer Services by phone/ email ? Look on their website for details.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

A job for Sainsbury’s Customer Services by phone/ email ? Look on their website for details.

Exactly, send Argos CS an email explaining that your shielding as your vulnerable so cannot go to Sainsburys.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, melmerby said:

Got a conundrum.

Fireangel by any chance?  If so, phone fireangel direct and they'll send you a new one (they'll probably want the code number off the old one).  I've had quite a few "10 year battery life" ones not get anywhere near this figure, so a phone call every time...

HTH

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, polybear said:

Fireangel by any chance?  If so, phone fireangel direct and they'll send you a new one (they'll probably want the code number off the old one).  I've had quite a few "10 year battery life" ones not get anywhere near this figure, so a phone call every time...

HTH

Kidde

It's the second failure of one of these.

The previous one lasted 5 years but I couldn't find the receipt so bought another, this has lasted just over 12 months

It was fitted 9 May 2019, found faulty a week ago (didn't do the long beep it should, just a load of short beep-beep-beeps which suggest an error.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Kidde

It's the second failure of one of these.

The previous one lasted 5 years but I couldn't find the receipt so bought another, this has lasted just over 12 months

It was fitted 9 May 2019, found faulty a week ago (didn't do the long beep it should, just a load of short beep-beep-beeps which suggest an error.

Is it wired into the mains or a battery type?

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Is it wired into the mains or a battery type?

"10 year Battery Life!"!

IMHO mains ones are better.

We had such in our Guest House, with a mixture of smoke alarms & heat alarms depending where they were.

(Every space had at least one.)

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, melmerby said:

"10 year Battery Life!"!

IMHO mains ones are better.

We had such in our Guest House, with a mixture of smoke alarms & heat alarms depending where they were.

(Every space had at least one.)

Aha OK......I did wonder, all ours are mains fed.....far better IMHO also, the set in the main house has been installed for over 20 years and 8 years in the Bungalow and never a moments problem.

Mind you they are bloody expensive compared to battery type, which I suppose is why? :rolleyes:

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Aha OK......I did wonder, all ours are mains fed.....far better IMHO also, the set in the main house has been installed for over 20 years and 8 years in the Bungalow and never a moments problem.

Mind you they are bloody expensive compared to battery type, which I suppose is why? :rolleyes:

Actually on a 24v supply with a large central control panel in our guest house, mounted on standard bases so several different makes where odd ones had failed and replacements of different manufacture had been used.

I would guess the installation was more than 30 years old when we took over and we were there for another 9 years before we sold it.

It was good for copping guests having a crafty smoke (we were non smoking) as they would unplug the alarm thing they could get away with it but it set off a tamper alert on the control box showing which location it was!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

But what happens when there's a power cut?  To mains powered fire alarms I mean; I know what happens in general in a power cut, the lights go out and my trains don't work, and the bloke across the hallway knocks on my door to ask if it's a power cut and have i got a spare candle.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

But what happens when there's a power cut?  To mains powered fire alarms I mean; I know what happens in general in a power cut, the lights go out and my trains don't work, and the bloke across the hallway knocks on my door to ask if it's a power cut and have i got a spare candle.  

Ours all have back up PSUs in them just like burglar alarms.....simple.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1