The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Self isolation support group

Neil

Message added by AY Mod

Please keep this thread free of Coronavirus information or discussion, there are two other threads to go into details if one wishes to visit.

42 minutes ago, gordon s said:

From little acorns.....:-)

They are lovely when in bloom, but it’s all too short. The main trunk on ours is probably 5” in diameter and the spread around 40’ across the back of the house. 

Once you have erected the support frame, you can start to train the main shoots and as it establishes itself, you implement the seven and two rule.....

In July. (7th month) cut all side shoots back to leave seven buds from the main stem. In February (2nd month) you cut all those same stems back to two buds from the main stem. Just remember the seven and two rule.....

My wife told me to add ‘as quoted by Adam Frost of Gardeners World.......

Thanks, I googled "7 & 2" and found this:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=242

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Something kind of railway related.

This is the first time I've seen a big dipper where they actually built the scenery!!

Also there appears to be at least two turnouts in the system.

Edited by Colin_McLeod
typos

Steph is now back working at Donegal Hospital (Covid free) after her stint in Killybegs where they have 4 Covid cases. A benefit of being back on the front line is that she was called up for testing. Last week Donegal Hospital was visited by a mobile team who tested all patients and staff on site. Progress. What's this got to do with isolation? Well as someone who is officially cocooned, it's reassuring to know that my wife hasn't picked up the virus in the line of duty. Self isolation between us just wasn't working!

• Friendly/supportive 9

FULL MARKS TO SERVICE 111  -  IN THE SHADOW OF COVID-19’S PRESENT DOMINANCE.

I'd like to post about the brilliant response of 111 to my call after my wife collapsed with, what appeared to me a heart attack and stroke, yesterday evening. 

Ten minutes after I first dialled the call, an ambulance arrived, stabilised her, then spent the next hour and half carrying out  e.c.g., blood and neurological tests before reassuring us that things seemed OK, but that they wished to take her to A&E for ‘observation’ (because of her earlier history).           

At this point I could see my wife was alarmed because it was not to the nearest, (and world famous) hospital just 20 mins away along the main artery of public transport routes, but one over 50 mins away.                                                                                                                  

The older (foreign) paramedic explained that although the legislation required it to be the “nearest hospital”, current beaurocracy assigns ambulance crews to hospitals by post-code. 

He explained that if my wife refused to enter the ambulance, they would no option but to depart after leaving all the test results and full report with us - but if anything were to develop we could ‘self present’ to the main regional A&E just 20 mins away who would be obliged to accept us.                                                                                                                                           

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, runs as required said:

The older (foreign) paramedic explained that although the legislation required it to be the “nearest hospital”, current beaurocracy assigns ambulance crews to hospitals by post-code. 

He explained that if my wife refused to enter the ambulance, they would no option but to depart after leaving all the test results and full report with us - but if anything were to develop we could ‘self present’ to the main regional A&E just 20 mins away who would be obliged to accept us.                                                                                                                                           

Yes, heard of this before.  A crew told me they went to a fall & suspected broken hip (?); the daughter was with the mother & explained that her mother was currently under the care of a consultant at Harlow Hospital - could she go there?  The home address made sense for this too.  Ambulance nearly at Harlow Hospital when control relayed a message from Harlow A&E - they'd seen incoming info & collection address & wanted to know why the patient was being taken there - Ambulance Crew responded with reason.  A&E Manager refused to accept patient due to postcode (not workload), so Ambulance had to U-turn and go to North Middlesex Hospital (Edmonton/Tottenham).  Ludicrous.

• RMweb Premium

Slightly different around here.

We come under Worcester Acute services but depending on problem, depends where you go.

Broken Leg - Alexandra, Redditch

Stroke/Heart Problems - Queen Elizabeth in Birmingham, which is a different NHS trust. (and has a superb reputation for acute care, it's where the soldiers go if injured on service.)

Time wise the ambulance will get to either in around the same time.

Even outpatients appointments vary, I have had to go to either the Alex or the QE depending on what the reason is.

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, runs as required said:

I'd like to post about the brilliant response of 111 to my call after my wife collapsed with, what appeared to me a heart attack and stroke, yesterday evening. 

Best wishes to her and I hope she makes a full recovery.

I know what it's like, my wife had a stroke 3-4 years ago.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Slightly different around here.

We come under Worcester Acute services but depending on problem, depends where you go.

Broken Leg - Alexandra, Redditch

Presently where our Son is in A&E......Doctor, not with a broken leg :lol:

• Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I was in no way complaining about the NHS and the response we had in the present emergency.

In fact I was very grateful for the way the East European older paramedic, who said he had grown up under a paralysing bureaucracy, resourcefully delivered what the patient clearly would feel more comfortable with.

Furthermore, after two days of resting her pericarditis in bed, it has not been necessary so far to resort to the fast track self-presentation.

I always remember a Finn I once worked with abroad saying  "...you English are far too passive. You never ask enough questions!"

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, runs as required said:

Furthermore, after two days of resting her pericarditis in bed, it has not been necessary so far to resort to the fast track self-presentation.

• Good news, I think I heard the bell go.....more tea required there :D

• RMweb Gold
On 01/05/2020 at 12:11, runs as required said:

I always remember a Finn I once worked with abroad saying  "...you English are far too passive. You never ask enough questions!"

But then I have heard of Swedes saying "They're not people - they're Finns!"

• Funny 2

2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

But then I have heard of Swedes saying "They're not people - they're Finns!"

If your swedes are talking to you, you've been isolated too long.

Spend less time with your veg and more time on here :lol:

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

If your swedes are talking to you, you've been isolated too long.

Spend less time with your veg and more time on here :lol:

Especially so if he has heard them talking back :o

:lol:

• Funny 2