The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Haircuts

spikey

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

However I can assure you that unless you are sleeping in a growbag then I doubt you'll have anything significant length wise even after a few months. Needing to get your hair cut every few weeks is a myth perpetuated by barbers and hairdressers to make money.

My hair doubles in length every week. Haven't been to the barbers in about 20 years though, my Wahl clippers are still going strong and paid for themselves hundreds of times over.

• RMweb Premium

We’d better all get used to longer hair, because even when the restrictions are lifted it might be rather difficult to get an appointment for the first few weeks!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Appointment!? At a barbers!?

The extremely long tedious wait, wedged on a bench with ten other blokes, listening to conversations about fishing and football, to a background of a radio station you would never normally dream of listening-to is all part of the experience.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 7

6 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

The extremely long tedious wait, wedged on a bench with ten other blokes, listening to conversations about fishing and football, to a background of a radio station you would never normally dream of listening-to is all part of the experience.

And all that is mostly why I haven't been to a barbers in decades! That and having to converse with the scissor-wielding as well . . .

Paul

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Invest in a Wahl Self Cut Elite Do it Yourself Haircutting Kit.

My brother used to cut my hair so I bought an ordinary set of Wahl clippers. At that time every time he cut my hair put what I would have paid the barber in a jam jar and when he and his wife moved up to the Midlands we split the contents of the jam jar which he used to buy a dining table for his new house. My share went into the train fund.

Soon as he moved bought the Do it Yourself and have used it ever since. The clippers even have a rotating head for comfortable use on either left or right side.

Keith 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

My hair falls out almost as fast as it grows,  i just use a pair of scissors every six months or so. 

Should it need a real tidy I just go woof woof.. 

SWMBO is a qualified dog groomer... 

• Funny 1

I was up for my Quarterly trim the weekend before we got locked up.

£5 on a Saturday afternoon at the local branch of cheap as chips and looks like it barbers and Im all set for at least 3 months ;)

#2 high and tight as they say is all it takes.....though if we ever get to normal again Ill go to the £15 a go man to get a better cut

• RMweb Gold

For me,it's about every 4-6 weeks.  Mrs Smith does it, and she normally decides when 'I need looking at'. Normally, it's a no 3 cut, because anything less makes me look like a poor version of Eastenders. 

I used to keep it longer, until we had a blowback in the foundry, and I was in the way. Whoosh! and there it was, gone! I've kept it short ever since.  Like a lot of others, I use a Wahl trimmer.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, 5050 said:

I got mine done week ago Monday just before the self-isolation kicked in.  If I hadn't I'd have been scaring old ladies and small children, not that I see many of them these days....................

Since the court order?!!

Mike.

• Funny 2

Here in Australia the hairdressers and barbers are still open, albeit only every second seat is in use.

There was a proposal to limit any 'session' to 30 minutes, which seemed like more than enough time for this bloke although I'm told that it is different for girls, but that has been rescinded.

Mine is simple, number 3 clippered all over, and is done every two months. It could go for 3 months between cuts, but by then I look like I have an Afro.

Had mine cut today and out of interest timed the operation. 8 minutes, and that is with a staff member that I haven't encountered before.

20 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

My usual barber is quite an interesting chap, and likes to involve everyone in the shop in the conversations he's having with the customer in the chair.

He appears in this video at about 1:40:

I bought the book and enjoyed it, as did the missus.  I took it in to the shop a few weeks ago when I last got my hair cut and asked if he would sign it for us.  He was happy to oblige, and asked if we would like him to ask the author to sign it too.  I left it with him so he could get Anthony's signature in it when next he called by, and I got a text from him last week saying it was all done and I could pop in to collect it.  Of course, come Monday he was shut down :(.  He did text me to say that he would keep it safe for me to collect when the situation eases.  He is a genuinely nice man.  For now though. sadly, I will have to rely on using my own clippers in front of the bathroom mirror (and putting up with funny-looking bits that I've either missed, or been a bit to over-zealous with).

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Gareth Collier said:

My hair escaped back to the wild years ago...................

Apologies I shared this before:

I used to have wavy hair,

It got so wavy, it waved goodbye!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/03/2020 at 15:13, Steamport Southport said:

Be one of the cool kids. :sungum:

However I can assure you that unless you are sleeping in a growbag then I doubt you'll have anything significant length wise even after a few months. Needing to get your hair cut every few weeks is a myth perpetuated by barbers and hairdressers to make money.

It’s not the length that causes me hassle it gets so thick I can’t sit the hard hat on my head and it causes much mirth! I saw this coming and bought clippers a couple of weeks back ;) 

My last professional haircut was in February 1974. I went to a very up market hairdresser in Liverpool and had the full wash, cut, blow. A nice experience, I understand why our ladies enjoy doing this. The 'junior' asked "is that your hair" when she came to brush it all up. Cost all of my weekly grant - £11. Was the best investment I ever made. Got the job and stayed with it, with suitable advancement, until retirement.

Ever since my lady (totally untrained) has trimmed it. We have an argument every time about her removing too much but I have to admit it does get whispy and too curly. However, I do look after my hair very carefully and have remarkably little sign of thinning, although as it is March I am moulting in sympathy with the parrot. Goodness knows how much we have saved, a great deal no doubt.

It will be interesting to see if the Turkish barbers that have opened up quite recently down the road will survive the present distress.

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 2