The Tyne dock Consett thread.

Is Blackgill making an appearance at Warley this year?

It is. Along with Crock Cock Cook Cooke Crook Crap Croft Depot. Operating two layouts at the same time. That'll be novel.

Edited by Porcy Mane

• 3 weeks later...

37113 working hard on the 1 in 50 bank past Beamish box with empty steel bolsters for Consett steelworks on 20th June 1978. The gradient eased here to 1 in 264 for a short distance through the site of Beamish station before resuming at 1 in 50, with even a stretch of 1 in 35, as far as Annfield Plain where the climb became less taxing for the last few miles to Consett. Photo copyright Stephen McGahon

sp-1.jpg

John
  • Like 14

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some time ago in this thread I asked if anyone knew the number of the Class 40 that banked the final 9F iron ore train, the 'Tyne Docker'.  Up till now, I've drawn a complete blank from everyone I've asked but, thanks to an article in this months Heritage Railway magazine I now know that it was D277 so I can finally make sure that I get the right loco for my model version of the train :)

John

• Like 1

I think that should have read, 6' under snow level.

Which set me thinking; where was the nearest trig point to the upper parts of the line?

My guess is Pontop Pike but does anyone know any different?

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=414971&y=552833&z=3&dn=598&tl=TP5494+-+Pontop+Pike

According to Trig pointing UK there was a Datum Bolt on the Eden Colliery headgear but thats long gone.

P

and to answer my own question:

http://trigpointing.uk/trigs/view-trigs.php?q=1994230

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

Are these of use?

Ta, I should have thought of looking there.

The spot height off 539' behind the Fell Cokeworks on the more modern map looks a bit suspect taking into account the 837' spot mark opposite Temple Gardens on Knitsley Lane. That agrees almost spot on with the spot height on current OS maps. Maybe it was a printing error?

Edited by Porcy Mane

Thank you.

I've found the NLS site before, but not realised that it gave a side-by-side facility.

I've just spent the last hour finding my missing railway (West Durham) - and a river bridge!

That is as well as tracking most of the routes I now cycle on!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

From Stephen McGahon, a shot of two Class 37s on an iron ore train in June 1980 rounding Brooms Curve outside Leadgate.  This was only a couple of months before the closure of the steelworks at Consett.

img1601-copy.jpg

John

I think you should put this pic, in the lines in the landscape thread of Photography as well.

Edited by Ray M

• 2 months later...

A superb, if somewhat depressing, photo from Stephen McGahon.  On 27 May 1982, 31276 passes Carr House signal box with a train of scrap while 37163 is in the background loading rails. The building to the right of 37163 is the iron ore loading facility that came in to use in 1974.

31276-on-scrap.-37163-loading-rails-27-5
  • Like 17

• 2 weeks later...
From Stephen McGahon once again we have a shot of 37062 leaving Consett with a train of scrap on 26 April 1982.  Consett North signal box can just be seen on the left and note the modeller's cliche of a bus on the bridge...

37062-low-yard-26-4-82.jpg

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...