The Tyne dock Consett thread.

• 2 months later...

...Dr Dave Dunn was at the Mining Institute model railway show today with proof pages from the "Steam Memories" book on the Tyne Dock - Consett line (and very nice it looked to...particularly liked the iron ore hoppers being tried out and loaded with coal at Ashington)

...Dr Dave Dunn was at the Mining Institute model railway show today with proof pages from the "Steam Memories" book on the Tyne Dock - Consett line (and very nice it looked to...particularly liked the iron ore hoppers being tried out and loaded with coal at Ashington)

You forgot to do the rest of your promotional stuff and say the book launch is at Railex NE from when it goes on general sale.

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The clarity and crispness of those shots by Stephen McGahon is just amazing, really fantastic to see,thanks for posting. What year do the two pictures in post #402 date from out of interest?

Cheers,

Keith

The clarity and crispness of those shots by Stephen McGahon is just amazing, really fantastic to see,thanks for posting. What year do the two pictures in post #402 date from out of interest?

Cheers,

Keith

Taken on 11 January 1979

John

I've posted a number of Stephen McGahon's photos in this thread but he's sent me another batch... [one of which shows] 37080 & 37010 on an iron ore train ... heading back down from Consett past Annfield Plain with Pontop Pike television transmitter in the background...probably the best photo taken on the line that I've ever seen...

Coasting.jpg

...um, to be honest I prefer close-up dramas of 9Fs 'hard against the collar' pics, though I agree this a wonderful mood shot

...'and now for something completely different'

post-21705-0-03565000-1497872239.jpg

somewhere in the back of that shot on the present day  'trail'

'Kissing is in season' in the gorse a week or so ago at the transformers beside East Castle overbridge.

dh

• Like 1

...um, to be honest I prefer close-up dramas of 9Fs 'hard against the collar' pics, though I agree this a wonderful mood shot

...'and now for something completely different'

attachicon.giftransformers.jpg

somewhere in the back of that shot on the present day  'trail'

'Kissing is in season' in the gorse a week or so ago at the transformers beside East Castle overbridge.

dh

I thought it was Easter Island for a moment.

• Like 1

Another one from Stephen McGahon with a DMU (one of the railtours run for the Stockton to Darlington 150 celebrations in 1975) passing over the ECML at Ouston Junction with the line from Ouston Junction to South Pelaw Junction in the foreground.

Ouston-Jct.-6-9-75-Rail-150-tour-crossin

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

What a fantastic alternative motive power. What date was this?

I reckon it could be late Sept. 1966.

Somewhere I have the dates of when the IO's were worked by the Class 24 & 25's as single units. (Soldering iron is fired up at the moment so I can't go searching.)

Looks like the photo could have been taken on a Sat. or Sun. (via Gateshead) or as it's evening after the Biddick Lane crossing box had been switched out.

We could always ask Mr Watson via his photo site.

https://ironroad.smugmug.com/1960s-Steam-Finale/i-QZNKNmB/O

P

• Like 2

I reckon it could be late Sept. 1966.

Somewhere I have the dates of when the IO's were worked by the Class 24 & 25's as single units. (Soldering iron is fired up at the moment so I can't go searching.)

Looks like the photo could have been taken on a Sat. or Sun. (via Gateshead) or as it's evening after the Biddick Lane crossing box had been switched out.

We could always ask Mr Watson via his photo site.

https://ironroad.smugmug.com/1960s-Steam-Finale/i-QZNKNmB/O

P

Cheers for the link, i found the pic from a Facebook group. Fantastic shots.

Crossing the (then) A1 at North Lodge.

36326513900_76d13f8f6b_b.jpgN0495_196506_Ouston_16 by Tom Young, on Flickr

Crossing the ECML at Durham Turnpike.

35887211244_ee021266f2_b.jpgN0496_196506_Ouston_17 by Tom Young, on Flickr

South Pelaw.

36675670536_6a801e9532_b.jpgN0494_196506_Ouston_GroundSignal_15 by Tom Young, on Flickr

From the trackbed approaching Pelton.

36583168521_f9697b681f_b.jpgN0493_196506_Pelton_CokeOvens_14 by Tom Young, on Flickr

Site of Pelton Station:

36721917665_fabeaf2cc6_b.jpgN0492_196506_Pelton_13 by Tom Young, on Flickr

There's more:

Fill your boots, Richard, Martin, John and all.

Then loose yourself for an hour around the North East and the rest of the UK.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144364384@N05/

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 3

attachicon.gif IMG_4210.JPG

Photo by Bill Watson : a 24 approaching Pelaw Junction with the aid of a pair of Clayton Type 1s at the rear...

If you liked that one, you're going to love this one just sent to me by Bill Watson of the view in the other direction, a few seconds later.  The photo speaks for itself...

Claytonsfinal.jpg

John

• Like 10