Exclusive OO Gauge Class 89 produced by Accurascale

Oliver Rails

5 hours ago, 47606odin said:

apparently accurascale are announcing a new OO product in Glasgow this week, so maybe, clutching at straws, it will be the commitment to 89001

That straw isn’t strong enough to hold  us both. Perhaps Accurascale is asking Rails not to announce anything until late in development. Perhaps Accurascale is waiting until the working pantos on the 92 are finalised before tackling the 89. It’s all speculation and all we can do is wait.

Incidentally, we have not been given much information in the announcement about the distinction between the two GNER versions, i.e. the one with the white lettering and the one with the gold. In ignorance, I expressed interest in the white, not knowing if it was shorter lived than the gold or vice versa. I have since acquired Brush Diesel & Electric Locomotives1980–2020, George Toms, RCTS. It informed me that the 89 was little used after the lettering was painted gold.

“In January 1999 89001was returned to Loughborough for bogie overhaul and repair … the opportunity was taken … to replace the white GNER lettering with gold lettering … Its return to traffic came on 25th [May]. Only a brief return was made …”

It was only used for brief periods afterwards – jet washing had made a mess of its traction motors.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 47606odin said:

apparently accurascale are announcing a new OO product in Glasgow this week, so maybe, clutching at straws, it will be the commitment to 89001

They had teased a while ago about models being in production that had not yet been announced. With the Class 37's soon to hit these shores I wouldn't be surprised if centre headcode Class 37/0s or 37/4s might make an appearance. It would be an obvious extension to models we do know about

1 hour ago, Torbay Express said:

Sure a MK2 DBSO at £59.99 or £64.95 would be popular........

I'm sure that would lead to a lot of cancelled orders for somebody else's, although I aren't sure how a DBSO could be done properly for the same price as a coach.

2 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I'm sure that would lead to a lot of cancelled orders for somebody else's, although I aren't sure how a DBSO could be done properly for the same price as a coach.

equally it shouldn't be in the same price bracket as one off's like Caroline or LNER Dynamometer car either when it has minimal differences to a normal Mk2F BSO

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, GordonC said:

They had teased a while ago about models being in production that had not yet been announced. With the Class 37's soon to hit these shores I wouldn't be surprised if centre headcode Class 37/0s or 37/4s might make an appearance. It would be an obvious extension to models we do know about

It looks like the tooling for the 37 has all the swappable elements necessary to make all 37 variants. The windscreen surrounds, recesses on the cab roof for horns on the centre box 37s and the refurbished/unrefurbished nose end grilles being examples of this on the first batch. I’ve stopped upgrading any more Bachy 37s now as I have a reasonable fleet and I’ll wait for the Accurascale ones to come along. I have very few locos running straight out of the box, but these look promising, save for a little weathering, perhaps.

• RMweb Gold

Folks we are wandering way off the class 89, can we put ideas for other products in the relevant Accurascale thread instead. 

31 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

It’s all speculation and all we can do is wait.

Which is why I quoted Oliver in my last post as he will get a notification when he’s next back on. He may be able to give any actual news. 

• Agree 4

23 minutes ago, GordonC said:

equally it shouldn't be in the same price bracket as one off's like Caroline or LNER Dynamometer car either when it has minimal differences to a normal Mk2F BSO

Whilst not relevant to the thread, is it the same price bracket though?

How much would they be if announced now? LNER Dyno car is several years old, Caroline was announced a while ago.

It is also DCC fitted, look what that adds per coach on Bachmann (the only people who release DCC fitted coaches in the UK AFAIK) and it is also comparable to the coach decoders ESU do IIRC. LNER and Caroline are not AFAIK.

Caroline was £140 directly from Revolution IIRC when ordering as soon as it was announced. No dealer margins to worry about. LNER was £150 IIRC at a time when things were completely different price wise. Bachmans new DBSO is £127 IIRC from dealers so is a decent chunk cheaper, has DCC and has another party to pay out of it.

Tooling for the DBSO I expect will be dearer than a coach, body wise more like a HST or similar as the ends have shapes that add complexity to removing parts from the mould (applying what little I know about injection moulding). Most coaches will be pretty straightforward I expect as the main detail on the end is the corridor and that is a separate part.

Given all this, whilst it is definitely dearer than I wanted it to be I don't think it is a ridiculous price, and I don't think it is in the same price zone as the other two for the reasons stated. Would you say a DCC fitted loco for £127 is the same price zone as a DCC ready one for £150?

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, 47606odin said:

Well, Rails are announcing a new loco at 1200 22/2/22

Class 40 number D222?

LNWR Claughton number 2222?

Disappointed they're not announcing at 22:22 hrs.

Edited by spamcan61
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

14 hours ago, adb968008 said:

All those plain black J15, J50, K1,K3, S15, Radial, N mogul…. Just cant sell enough of them eh ?

Not sure where black steam locos come in?

18100 / E1000 / E2001 is a single tooling set, which can depict an iconic experimental locomotive, in two radically different forms, with three different numbers. Hardly a barely noticeable, low profile workhorse.

No doubt the badger will have its day - after 18100.

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Not sure where black steam locos come in?

18100 / E1000 / E2001 is a single tooling set, which can depict an iconic experimental locomotive, in two radically different forms, with three different numbers. Hardly a barely noticeable, low profile workhorse.

No doubt the badger will have its day - after 18100.

John Isherwood.

perhaps.

I am encouraged by todays announcement of the D1, and at such an advance stage.

It shows they basically went radio silence after the Terrier, but no news was actually good news.

The 89 project is 7 months younger than the “D” which I guess was genesis of the “D1” also, and the 89 was only expressions of interest at that stage, not an actual commit.

Where we disagree is popularity, I reckon an 89 will outsell a D1, only Rails will of course know this, and i’m hoping they did way back in summer 2020 and decided to turn the handle.

And as for the 80.. well I doubt anyone other than KR would copy that, so less need the secrecy.

I think the 89 was / is a definite Hornby copy cat risk, so silence is a good thing.. as if it didnt proceed then there would be no need to keep us hanging…

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

I think the 89 was / is a definite Hornby copy cat risk, so silence is a good thing.. as if it didnt proceed then there would be no need to keep us hanging…

Yes I completely agree, the W1 and turbomotive showed they aren't afraid of one offs (nor helping justify the tooling with imaginary/what could have been liveries which the 89 could have plenty of room for speculation on). They also like ECML express trains, new and old and they already manufacture a plethora of coaching stock suitable for the loco.

• Like 1