More model ideas

• RMweb Premium

With the recent Bachmann announcement of minor electronic upgrades and a new nose I'd expect that the market is somewhat open for a brand new class 40, as I would be surprised to see Bachmann release one in the next couple of years following these. Obviously, this overlooks the KR EOI.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, E100 said:

With the recent Bachmann announcement of minor electronic upgrades and a new nose I'd expect that the market is somewhat open for a brand new class 40, as I would be surprised to see Bachmann release one in the next couple of years following these. Obviously, this overlooks the KR EOI.

I was going to say the same. There is a wide open goal for a 40, especially given the recent pics of the split box 37s.

Very disappointed with Bachmann’s latest batch, especially the pricing for what you actually get.

Edited by 97406
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

I remember chatting to Fran shortly after the Manor was an announced and mentioned one GWR loco that has never been produced to the detail we are used to now.

That is the handsome Hawksworth County Class. A beautiful looking locomotive with that unusual straight splasher nameplate. They looked so powerful with their double chimney. 

Another steam project that needs a really good re-vamp is the LNER D49 Hunt class. Another handsome looking loco.

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 03/05/2023 at 16:17, E100 said:

I think the best approach is to continue to overlook anything that is associated with KR models. 

Rob

• Agree 6

8 hours ago, JohnC said:

I remember chatting to Fran shortly after the Manor was an announced and mentioned one GWR loco that has never been produced to the detail we are used to now.

That is the handsome Hawksworth County Class. A beautiful looking locomotive with that unusual straight splasher nameplate. They looked so powerful with their double chimney. 

Another steam project that needs a really good re-vamp is the LNER D49 Hunt class. Another handsome looking loco.

John

None never produced and a gap in the market would be the B16, especially if you can do B16/2 and B16/3 as well. 

• Like 1

What I would really like to see in 00 gauge is a new generation of passenger coaches starting with the MK1 gangway stock. The existing MK1 coaches on the market are good models, however they are showing their age now and I think that they need next generation features. 

For example, I would like to see passenger coaches with actual connecting gangways. This isn’t an easy task due to the need for radius 2 curves etc, however I think it could be possible with the use of magnets and some fine flexible rubber material that can flex with the movement of the coaches. Dapol & Lionheart have managed to achieve connecting gangways in O gauge on their MK1 coaches. 

I would certainly buy a rake of them 😀

• Agree 6

It would be good to see more coaches, but I would rather we got a wider selection of coaching stock that hasn't been done before. MK1s would be good mind if we could get a Blood and Custard RMB (like the one preserved at Blaenavon), but I would personally rather some new GWR Coaches that haven't been done before alongside some LMS coaches.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, BVMR21 said:

It would be good to see more coaches, but I would rather we got a wider selection of coaching stock that hasn't been done before. MK1s would be good mind if we could get a Blood and Custard RMB (like the one preserved at Blaenavon), but I would personally rather some new GWR Coaches that haven't been done before alongside some LMS coaches.

IIRC, somebody has done a RMB in Blood and Custard, but it's a preservation-only livery. By the time the prototypes were built, it had been superseded by maroon.

My own wants on the carriage front tend to move earlier, LSWR Ironclads and 56' panelled corridor stock, GWR Toplights, Period 1 and 2 Staniers, LMS corridors, plus a better selection of better-executed Gresleys would all do very nicely.

John.

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Dunsignalling said:

IIRC, somebody has done a RMB in Blood and Custard, but it's a preservation-only livery. By the time the prototypes were built, it had been superseded by maroon.

John.

Yes however they constantly sell out and are rather irritating to find. So I guess a new tooled Corridor MK1 would make sense to go with the already announce Suburbans.

• RMweb Premium

The main issue with all current RTR coaches is that you cannot easily build a rake for a region, you often have to mix n match or wait. Over time I built a Mk1 rakes in blue/grey (renumbered buffet required), and maroon but still haven't completed a blood & custard rake. Mk2/2a is just 3/10th done, 2c resolved by AS except a buffet car, Mk2def 4/10th.

Complete rakes, especially simple SO/SKs are a must.

• Agree 5

Ive given this a lot of carefull considered thought and on reflection I'd like to see accura produce new models of every loco produced after 1960, with the exception of the deltic, 37,31, 50 66, 89and 92.  Everything else is a must do.

Especially a 40! Before xmas please.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

Ive given this a lot of carefull considered thought and on reflection I'd like to see accura produce new models of every loco produced after 1960, with the exception of the deltic, 37,31, 50 66, 89and 92.  Everything else is a must do.

Especially a 40! Before xmas please.

I don't understand your exceptions.  By the time they get through everything else, buyers will be ready for the definitive Class 37 again.

• Funny 4

I would like Accurascale to do some more GWR Locos namely tank engines like the 2021 class, because why not have a GWR loco that lasted from the late 19th Century to the early 1950s.

Though any new tooled 0-6-0 is a good investment from my perspective...

On 21/04/2023 at 09:49, Covkid said:

Initially I would have said "why bother" as the Bachmann Mk2As and Mk2Fs are available, but then I checked the RRP

Accurascale Mk2B and Mk2C - £59.95 per vehicle with discounts on two or more items

Bachmann Mk2A - £69.95 per vehicle - no multi vehicle discount 

Bachmann Mk2F - £79.95 per vehicle - no multi vehicle discount

Hornby Mk2E - £45.99 per vehicle - no multi vehicle discount

All quoted prices RRP so some discounting probably available from retailers, but if Accurascale wanted knock out Mk2Fs, with their built in lighting and decoding they would be significantly less than the Barwell product, but obviously not quite as "economical" as the Margate product, which AFAIK would need lighting preovision to match that of Accurascale.

Very interesting.

Can't wait for Accuracale to announce the BR(WR) Hawksworths and BR(LM) Staniers !!!    

I think its almost a certainty that we'll see the whole Mk2 range done by Accurascale.

There will be high demand for a lighting and close coupling 2a to mix with b and c in regions such as Scotland and the South West. 

2d and 2e are obvious gaps for a high calibre model.

Personally I'm cashing out on the current 2a on eBay given some of the prices being paid for TSOs. 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

What I would like to see in OO is some 4-car EMUS, for the post-war period, particularly suburban non-gangwayed types. It's all very well producing 2-car units (like the 2Bil, 2Hal, 2EPB and 2HAP), but if I want to run the trains I went to school on, then the trains I commuted to work on, on my layout I've got to find 4Sub, 4EPB (two types), Networkers, ... none of which is available RTR.

3 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Here's a challenge for Accurascale.

Track machines.

Plenty of detail to get your teeth into there.

One of the areas I have thought would be coming would be more specific engineering rolling stock as then you can couple it to different engines. The ones that I would have thought would have been done following on from all the Network Rail ballast stock thats been done would be the lines of point carriers, flat wagons with track pannels - and my educated guess would be the long rail wagons used for CWR. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Er - WOT ??!? .......................... Period 1 and 2 PRE-Staniers p'raps !!?! 😉

.... but there were LOTS of types to choose from.

Agreed, but a widely used shorthand, and the LMS is not my primary interest.... 

19 hours ago, Trainsandtravel said:

What I would really like to see in 00 gauge is a new generation of passenger coaches starting with the MK1 gangway stock. The existing MK1 coaches on the market are good models, however they are showing their age now and I think that they need next generation features. 

For example, I would like to see passenger coaches with actual connecting gangways. This isn’t an easy task due to the need for radius 2 curves etc, however I think it could be possible with the use of magnets and some fine flexible rubber material that can flex with the movement of the coaches. Dapol & Lionheart have managed to achieve connecting gangways in O gauge on their MK1 coaches. 

I would certainly buy a rake of them 😀

I would have thought the Mk1s gangwayed stock would be an open goal as the prices of the existing Bachmann models creeps up year on year. With the period they've been used for and pretty much anyone from steam modellers onwards can use some. If modelled to the current standards, they would really have potential to sell a lot.

• Like 3