More model ideas

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, BritishRail60062 said:

Also as for the Class 73/9's. I don't know those too well, so I would assume they would be used on the Scottish highlands based layouts only? 

21 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Depends whether you're talking about class 73/9s or class 73/9s .......... Bo-Peep Junction's a LONG way from the Heelans !

1/7/22

And these73/9s?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Craig1989 said:

If and when you do a unit how about a 222 meridian? They seem to have been around for ages and surprised no one has done one yet in rtr form.

cheers Craig 

If the price was good I could certainly see myself getting a few. I'd love a Hull Trains, a Midland Mainline and an EMR full Purple set. 

7 hours ago, Covkid said:

Way way back in the early 1980s I ended up at Stranraer off the overnight and sallied forth across the sea to Larne Harbour.  There was a maroon DEMU in the platform on a service to Belfast so I had it for "haulage" all the way from Larne Harbour to Larne Town, Memories were that it was "bog eyed" and only had a drivers windscreen, had a big headlight and the diamond shape design.  Inside it was painted wooden panelling with lino on the floor which had been recently mopped and smelt strongly of bleach.  Sadly I never recorded the number but I think it was a "70" class, and assume it is the same class as your upper picture Mark.  

I am of no doubt that these will eventually be produced, but also believe Accurascale give their customers time to to restock their funds between releases.  I am guessing the second of Mark's pictures is an "80" class, then there are the 455s to also go at.  Plenty for the rish modeller in the fullness of time. 

It probably would have been a 70 class you caught, which were associated with the Larne line after their replacement on the Londonderry services by the 80 class.  The coach in my picture is actually an 80 class driving trailer, a rebuild of either an ex BR Mk2 or a rebuild of one of the original Enterprise Mk2b/c stock.  Unfortunately I only recorded the number of the DMBS at the other end (8099 Sir Myles Humphries, nicknamed "Sir Smiles) but the DTS was a rebuild, hence the oddly proportioned "Cyclops" lamp on the roof.

The 70 class were interesting in that they were the first DEMU units for the UTA/NIR and although the motor coaches were new build, a lot of the trailers and driving trailers were ex-LMS coaches.  They used to be used on buffet expresses to Londonderry and on the Enterprise before being cascaded down to the Larne line.  The "make do and mend" philosophy of rolling stock procurement extended to the later Class 450 units (rather pig-in-lipstick dubbed the "Castle" class as they were all named after castles) which had new build trailers based on the Southern Class 455 emus, but the power cars had recycled Mk1 underframes in order to support the weight of the English Electric diesel engine.  One of the class acquired a recovered diesel from a bomb damaged 80 class, so they were truly cut and shut ringers, despite which one was used as a "Royal" train to carry the Queen over the new cross-harbour bridge in Belfast.

Sadly NIR is a lot less interesting now but it has to be said a much better service for Northern Ireland than previously.

10 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

... but the DTS was a rebuild, hence the oddly proportioned "Cyclops" lamp on the roof. ...

... and the non-standard gutters. ................. I'm pretty sure it's 8754 : built as a Driving Brake for the 'Enterprise', rebuilt for railcar use and rebuilt again to eliminate the spurious guards van.

687_02.jpg.ea58db4446385ff08b7d43b7ff70e232.jpg

York Road : 17/5/94

1352_05.jpg.1df9cbbbc6586238766e258029408e96.jpg

Dundalk : 9/5/04

Edited by Wickham Green too
  • Like 1

One of the reasons I became mildly obsessed with the NIR 80 Class after working on the Microsoft Train Simulator "Enterprise" add-on was the bewildering variety of rebuilds, replacements and modifications the class had as they fell victim to accidents or terrorist activity.  They also carried an interesting range of liveries, so would give Irish Railway Models pretty much a catalogue's worth of potential subject when they get round to it.

Plus I maintain these would have been fantastic had BR got permission for a batch, fitted out with Inter City style seating, for routes which later went on to get Class 158 equipment.

• Like 1

The trailer cars were almost exactly the same as the later build 455 and 317 driving trailers, fitted with low back suburban seating, large windows (the original build 210/317 units had smaller window pans with hopper vent slits above them) and interior decor based on the later build units.  The power cars were a bespoke design which utilised a Mk1 underframe and no side gangway past the engine, which the Class 210 units had, hence the testing of smaller, more compact diesel engines in the two Class 210 units.

So in that respect the Irish class 450 only shared the fact they were diesel electric multiple units with the BR Class 210, which in reality were closer to their Class 317 "Bedpan" unit cousins than the Irish Class 450.  The concept behind the Class 210 was to produce a diesel Class 317 identical in performance and coupling compatible to allow them to run in the same formation to non-electrified destinations and which made them too expensive for their potential customers in the PTEs, and which eventually led WMPTE to approach local manufacturer Met-Cam to spec up a modern take on the underfloor engine DMU which eventually became the second generation "Sprinter" concept.

• Like 1

An all new Class 373 Eurostar model? I know its niche for the Channel Tunnel and the oddball GNER White Rose services from the 2000's. But its a sleek ultra fast high speed international train that connects the UK to Europe and still is in use today in some extents. Personally I would have the original livery Eurostar and obviously this would need to be done in packs as the base set and then the extension car packs too. If ACS has permission from Eurostar to this pack and use the EPS branding. Maybe some EPS Class 92's as well could be done? The latter being an additional triple grey livery as 92045 Chaucer and 92046 Sweelinck in EPS. Now here is a question? Who would want a new super detailed Class 373 Eurostar in OO gauge? Let's help Accurascale out here and please give my post a like if you would agree as the feedback will help Accurascale and I thought it would help Fran and the crew out with the feedback. 

• Like 2

How about some 70’ GWR stock of one variety or another? Admittedly not much use for inter regional trains but key stock for trunk route express trains, either as full rakes when new or dotted about amongst other varieties later on.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Well heres something for you guys, only one left now as the local council gas axed one,Consett steelworks ladle car,on the road down from Tesco.

IMG_1717[1].JPG

IMG_1718[1].JPG

IMG_1719[1].JPG

IMG_1721[1].JPG

IMG_1723[1].JPG

Nahh.  You would never get an NEM pocket under there !!!!!

16 hours ago, BritishRail60062 said:

An all new Class 373 Eurostar model? 

Interestingly De Dietrich modified the Eurostar coach body design to produce the cross border Irish Enterprise coaching stock for the Dublin to Belfast route.

There you go.  Synergy.

39 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

Interestingly De Dietrich modified the Eurostar coach body design to produce the cross border Irish Enterprise coaching stock for the Dublin to Belfast route.

There you go.  Synergy.

They were built to a more generous loading gauge than most GB stock, weren’t they? They seem more spacious.

3 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

They were built to a more generous loading gauge than most GB stock, weren’t they? They seem more spacious.

I expect they were built to "Irish" gauge, but the body profile and window arrangements were very similar

18 hours ago, 7802 said:

How about some 70’ GWR stock of one variety or another? Admittedly not much use for inter regional trains but key stock for trunk route express trains, either as full rakes when new or dotted about amongst other varieties later on.

Could even be handy for GW / WR branch termini modellers as the odd '70 footer turned up to bolster services occasionally, on the Marlow branch for instance.

I'm late to the thread so haven't trawled all the way through it, but how about some state of the art 1972 onwards Yeoman / ARC hoppers, a la Paul Bartlett's excellent archive...

MODPGA_14188_PR_WestEaling_DateUnk-L.jpg.87158526af2ce920ecbd86fc372be798.jpg

MODPGA_14219_PR_WestEaling_DateUnk-LGLORIOUSNSERMWEB.jpg.c39da7467f20bc6ed68da54026a3409c.jpg

This photo is by Jim Payne...

scan0544.jpg.58833ef09e65b159e0a26096fd45b7ff.jpg

• Like 8

From my understanding. The Irish rails have more space for larger stock than the UK hence the DD stock being more roomy compared to the Eurostar stock. I would imagine that had the Nightstar been successful. That stock would have been a similar length. VIA Rail in Canada bought the former nightstar stock and use it on services around Canada with F40PH's and P42DC's and I wouldn't be surprised to see them being used with the ALC-42's should VIA Rail buy them. 

Meanwhile here is one of the Class 373's at London St Pancras in 2009. 

2009_09050075.JPG.8e389eb57cca4982aa8647e188a1e149.JPG

Original livery without the "snail" logo. I do like the original livery the most. It suits the train. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BritishRail60062 said:

From my understanding. The Irish rails have more space for larger stock than the UK hence the DD stock being more roomy compared to the Eurostar stock. I would imagine that had the Nightstar been successful. That stock would have been a similar length. VIA Rail in Canada bought the former nightstar stock and use it on services around Canada with F40PH's and P42DC's and I wouldn't be surprised to see them being used with the ALC-42's should VIA Rail buy them. 

Meanwhile here is one of the Class 373's at London St Pancras in 2009. 

2009_09050075.JPG.8e389eb57cca4982aa8647e188a1e149.JPG

Original livery without the "snail" logo. I do like the original livery the most. It suits the train. 

Original logo was much classier too 😃

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I was intrigued that when Ellis Clark announced their Quad Art coaches in April, it was Great Northern Quad Arts they announced. It suggests to me they are aware someone else is working on Great Eastern Quad Art coaches - and who better than Accurascale, who have already announced their forthcoming GER/LNER J67/69?

We know Accurascale are working on 7 steam locomotives, of which we know only the first two - GWR Manor and LNER J67/69.  I’d be delighted if Accurascale announce a GNR K2 sometime, especially if it is at a price point around £160. K2s appeared in various parts of the LNER system - East Anglia, West Highland line, other parts of Scotland - and they are an attractive model in their own right.

John

4 hours ago, it's-er said:

I was intrigued that when Ellis Clark announced their Quad Art coaches in April, it was Great Northern Quad Arts they announced. It suggests to me they are aware someone else is working on Great Eastern Quad Art coaches - and who better than Accurascale, who have already announced their forthcoming GER/LNER J67/69?

We know Accurascale are working on 7 steam locomotives, of which we know only the first two - GWR Manor and LNER J67/69.  I’d be delighted if Accurascale announce a GNR K2 sometime, especially if it is at a price point around £160. K2s appeared in various parts of the LNER system - East Anglia, West Highland line, other parts of Scotland - and they are an attractive model in their own right.

John

Crikey, I’d love a K2 and a Gresley K1 but above all a K4. The latter is cute, wore LNER green and all were named. If Hornby can sell Thompson Pacifics in muddy green, then surely Accurascale …

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Crikey, I’d love a K2 and a Gresley K1 but above all a K4. The latter is cute, wore LNER green and all were named. If Hornby can sell Thompson Pacifics in muddy green, then surely Accurascale …

Wholeheartedly agree. Plenty of scope for Scottish examples too!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2