More model ideas

I think a HEA would fit snuggly into their 'powering the nation' range.

I know others have done this wagon, but others have done Accurascale's range of 31s, 37s, 50s, 55s, HAAs, CDAs etc.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, it's-er said:

Re jools1959 comment of a few hours ago, I think Hornby have the Black 5 covered with their forthcoming model. The first photos appeared in Engine Shed a couple of days ago

https://uk.Hornby.com/community/blog-and-news/engine-shed/view-p2

John S

I’ll be very interested in seeing the new Hornby Black 5, but Hornby have a habit of falling at the last fence with silly mistakes, livery errors etc, so I’m going to wait until the trade have reviewed it.  if it’s the mutts nuts, then their onto a winner.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I’ll be very interested in seeing the new Hornby Black 5, but Hornby have a habit of falling at the last fence with silly mistakes, livery errors etc, so I’m going to wait until the trade have reviewed it.  if it’s the mutts nuts, then their onto a winner.

Even if it's not the mutts nuts, would you spend the money on tooling something to compete with it?

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

A nice challenge for somebody, how about a U1 ?  !!

UK's biggest mainline steam beastie!!

Al.

A Southern U1 would be preferable.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

3 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Had to look a few times to understand what was happening with the valvegear on the LHS!!

Just an overlap.

Lovely model - just needs glazing and crew.

Al.

Thank you. I got the model built for me because it took me so long to build the only two models I did myself and the results were poor. It’s a very weak machine. I did discuss with the builder installing a second motor in the other end. A good thing I took it no furher because he started letting me down.

I wouldn’t get anything built now even if I could trust the builder; it’s very likely it would appear RTR. Amongst others I had built were P2 Lord President, LN Sir Francis Drake, a rebuilt W1 and a Southern N.

Given the Manors are about to appear, I would really like some WR coaching stock to run with them. I have a few Hornby Colletts and Bachmann Hawksworths, but what IMHO is really needed is an up to date rendition of the vehicles Bachmann sold.  I believe these are Colletts which are quite elderly and with deep glazing.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

GWR

No one has done the mid 1930s GWR stock RTR.

The Mainline TK BCK are not bad apart from glazing  but no one has done C67 and friends.

The BCK 6913 was mainline registered, based at SVR.

That said i just do comet kits myself.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Human8984 said:

Some GCR Engines wouldnt go amiss... Jersey Lillie (c4) , Sam Fay (b2) or Glenalmond (b8) Class Anyone?

GCR 4-6-0s are certainly interesting, but with so few surviving into BR and no celebrity loco, most of them are unlikely to have RTR models.

Let's see which of the 9 classes would stand a bigger chance.

The Victorian looking classes:

B1/B18 (1903) - only 2 built, last withdrawn 1947

B4 (1906) - 10 built, last withdrawn 1950 (never wore BR numbers), last GCR 4-6-0 to be withdrawn

B5 (1902) - 14 built, last withdrawn 1950 (never wore BR numbers)

B9 (1906) - 10 built, last withdrawn 1949 (2 wore BR numbers)

The express passenger classes:

B2/B19 (1912) - 6 built, last withdrawn 1947, only inside cylinder GCR 4-6-0

B3 (1917) - 6 built, last withdrawn 1947 (excluding the Thompson rebuild)

The mixed traffic classes:

B6 (1918) - only 3 built, withdrawn 1947

B7 (1921) - 38 built, last withdrawn 1950 (11 wore BR numbers)

B8 (1913) - 11 built, last withdrawn 1949 (never wore BR numbers)

To extract maximum era, you only have the B7 and B9 to choose from. The B7 appears to be the most successful GCR 4-6-0, so it would have a relatively bigger chance (although that's still very slim).

The B2 and B3 look impressive, but do they have enough celebrity status?

• RMweb Premium

I'd quite like a 230. I've seen a few photos of the unit GWR are trialling for battery technology, and it is a very attractive unit. Maybe a bit limited in scope though, although a few one off/prototype liveries which always sell well I think. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

I'd quite like a 230. I've seen a few photos of the unit GWR are trialling for battery technology, and it is a very attractive unit. Maybe a bit limited in scope though, although a few one off/prototype liveries which always sell well I think. 

Someone in the know seems to think someone is thinking about it… http://philsworkbench.blogspot.com/2023/06/battery-powered-train.html

Put me down for a GWR example and a LU D Stock set if it pans out!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 04/08/2023 at 17:01, nightstar.train said:

They'd best not be thinking of them for the Reading-Gatwick North Downs line.......

• Agree 1