More model ideas

Very helpful. So the 'model requested' is prob two models... 

1. A fixed bar coupling (understand that can work without slack) with some mechanism for slightly extend or contract build within it so the modeller can set the perfect length relevant for their stock and circumstances. 

2. Maybe a magnetic unit that can be universally inserted between corridor connectors similar in principle to the system the last poster built for themselves. Won't be 100% realistic but I think a step better than either visible gaps on curves or an accordion style corridor connector. 

Now I await to hear if it is only me who would want such a hypothetical product or others too! 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MoonM said:

1. A fixed bar coupling (understand that can work without slack) with some mechanism for slightly extend or contract build within it so the modeller can set the perfect length relevant for their stock and circumstances. 

2. Maybe a magnetic unit that can be universally inserted between corridor connectors similar in principle to the system the last poster built for themselves. Won't be 100% realistic but I think a step better than either visible gaps on curves or an accordion style corridor connector. 

Now I await to hear if it is only me who would want such a hypothetical product or others too! 

As an example our Mk5 just released have touching corridor connectors, and the option of both magnetic and fixed bar Dellner scale couplers - https://www.accurascale.com/collections/couplers 

Unless I'm missing the requirement?

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MoonM said:

Almost anything is possible (at least in theory), the question is, can it be done at a cost that enough people are willing to pay?

Fixed bar couplings are potentially problematic, though, for anybody who needs to reform trains or take them off the layout regularly, e.g. taking stock to/from exhibitions.

The Bulleids in my photo are part of a 5-set that originally had the Keen 2-pin links that came with the CCU's. I switched to the Rocos because coupling them up in a tight fiddle yard was a complete pain. 

Incidentally, my paper corridors have been on there for twenty years and I should really make some new ones!

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium
On 09/01/2023 at 14:36, Dunsignalling said:

If AS could do a 3-car 120, for up to £300, I'd snatch both their hands off!

3 old Triang carriages for chassis and roofs. About £20.

3 packs of MJT bogie frames.

MJT roof vents.

S/H Trix Swindon side frames.

Lowrider £60.

12 Gibson DMU wheelsets.

Resin master modelling 10 hours.

Resin casting, quite a few hours.

Drawing sides 4 hours.

Laminating about 10 hours over a month.

Plasticard, limonene, resin, casting rubber.

Paint, transfers (about £20).

LMS buffers.

About £150 in parts and materials.

About 40 to 50 hours of work.

Currently being painted, before glazing and seats.

£300 would be good value if better than my scratch built one.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, McC said:

Way too new (and out of area 🙂) for me.

However, it's nice to know not everybody is terrified of producing units of longer than two cars!

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, McC said:

As an example our Mk5 just released have touching corridor connectors, and the option of both magnetic and fixed bar Dellner scale couplers - https://www.accurascale.com/collections/couplers 

Unless I'm missing the requirement?

So, I think it is a product to go alongside these. For instance your product is likely perfect for close coupling your mk5s to other of your mk5s. But what if I want to couple a (just a random example) a Bachmann mk2a to an accurascale mk2b to a Bachmann mk1 coach? And I want to have corridors touching. For this I will need a coupling bar or magnet where I can custom size the exact length of the couplers. To custom size, maybe you could have a coupling bar or two magnetic bars that can be varied in length to infinite possible lengths to match the exact coaches to close couple. 

Maybe you can solve this by producing a plastic nem bar with a magnet on the end to couple to another nem bar with magnet (ie like hunt couplings typically work and that now you, Hornby and others have also adopted)? The magnet will sit flush with the end of the nem bar. However the magnets will be removable and behind each magnet will be a small magnetic screw that recesses into the bar. If I turn the thread of the screw anti clockwise a few turns and then reinsert the removable magnet, that magnet will then protrude slightly from the end of the nem bar and hence will lengthen the coupling bar very slightly. By turning the screw different amounts I can infinitesimally alter the length of my coupling. Hence I can perfectly close couple any combination of coaches. This will be generically better than having to settle for either an off the shelf 'long', 'medium' or 'short' length where I will inevitably have to deal with a slight gap. 

Similarly I think there could be scope for a flexible product that magnetises to the inside of magnets placed within coach corridors that bends and contours on bends and maintains connection between corridors on a curve 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, MoonM said:

Yes a good vid. But dare I say the gap opens up from touching (when stationary) to a slight gap when moving. Think that is the inbuilt 'slack' I am used to seeing on a number of models and maybe not possible to completely eliminate (certainly it seems that you can get it closer than almost everybody). Still wonder though if there is a way to either reduce the slack, offer couplings with ability to somehow edit the length (that may have advantages if we want to retro fit to old rolling stock or mix/match to the Bachmann mk2a (ie for a rake out of waterloo behind a class 50) or find a clever way to fill the corridor gaps to shield the light gap? 

Probably easier to wait for us to make all the stock to the same close coupling standard :) 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, McC said:

Probably easier to wait for us to make all the stock to the same close coupling standard :) 

Well that would be the ideal solution! But I think I recall hearing earlier in the thread that it is likely you will do a mk2c but not mk2a. So I'll need a Bachmann mk2a or two in my accurascale class 50 hauled rake from waterloo to Exeter... 

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, MoonM said:

Well that would be the ideal solution! But I think I recall hearing earlier in the thread that it is likely you will do a mk2c but not mk2a. So I'll need a Bachmann mk2a or two in my accurascale class 50 hauled rake from waterloo to Exeter... 

Never say never :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, MoonM said:

So, I think it is a product to go alongside these. For instance your product is likely perfect for close coupling your mk5s to other of your mk5s. But what if I want to couple a (just a random example) a Bachmann mk2a to an accurascale mk2b to a Bachmann mk1 coach? And I want to have corridors touching. For this I will need a coupling bar or magnet where I can custom size the exact length of the couplers. To custom size, maybe you could have a coupling bar or two magnetic bars that can be varied in length to infinite possible lengths to match the exact coaches to close couple. 

Maybe you can solve this by producing a plastic nem bar with a magnet on the end to couple to another nem bar with magnet (ie like hunt couplings typically work and that now you, Hornby and others have also adopted)? The magnet will sit flush with the end of the nem bar. However the magnets will be removable and behind each magnet will be a small magnetic screw that recesses into the bar. If I turn the thread of the screw anti clockwise a few turns and then reinsert the removable magnet, that magnet will then protrude slightly from the end of the nem bar and hence will lengthen the coupling bar very slightly. By turning the screw different amounts I can infinitesimally alter the length of my coupling. Hence I can perfectly close couple any combination of coaches. This will be generically better than having to settle for either an off the shelf 'long', 'medium' or 'short' length where I will inevitably have to deal with a slight gap. 

Similarly I think there could be scope for a flexible product that magnetises to the inside of magnets placed within coach corridors that bends and contours on bends and maintains connection between corridors on a curve 

In practice, a 1mm gap is pretty much invisible unless viewed square on against a light background.

Keeping corridors in contact on curves is another matter, and depends more on the radius of the curve than on anything you manage to do to the gangways. My guess is that the rather splendid arrangement devised by Wickham Green too will function well down to a 3' radius and my paper ones will stay put reliably down to 2' but aren't entirely "trustworthy" on trainset curves. 

If your desire is for something detailed that will maintain contact round a No.2 radius, I think you are in Holy Grail territory. All the more so if you want it to work within a rake of mixed stock.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

... My guess is that the ... arrangement devised by Wickham Green too will function well down to a 3' radius ...

Correct - and proven on Maunsell, Bulleid, Pullman, Mk1, M2 and even Mk3 stock ......... a simpler version uses paper bellows fitted with Comet faceplates and the two 'base' springs ( P.O. wagon buffers ) as above. 

• Informative/Useful 1

On 13/01/2023 at 10:03, Wickham Green too said:

Correct - and proven on Maunsell, Bulleid, Pullman, Mk1, M2 and even Mk3 stock ......... a simpler version uses paper bellows fitted with Comet faceplates and the two 'base' springs ( P.O. wagon buffers ) as above. 

And that solution does sound great. I suppose I am wondering (speaking as someone who is time-poor working long hours and having a young family, plus with limited modelling ability), whether a manufacturer could develop a more plug-and-play solution adapting maybe some of the ideas from these concepts and that does not involve surgery on the models. I appreciate it won't be a perfect solution but I expect a solution can evolve past the stick-on paper bellows approach

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

It should be possible - at a price - to have a lightly sprung gangway which would remain in contact on wider curves ..... an improvement on the concept of Keen Systems sprung faceplates without the extra length !

But the critical words in that post are "on wider curves".

An "original equipment" version of what you do is undoubtedly possible but would only work down to 36" curves or thereabouts.

The problem is that everything produced for the r-t-r market has to perform on half that radius, thereby ruling out any feature  that can't.

John

• Agree 1

On 08/01/2023 at 21:08, McC said:

Having unpacked my 4 & 6 Coach Caledonian sleeper sets, I couldn’t help but think how attractive a 442 5-WES EMU would look in a 5 coach set box. 🤔😊 micro LED’s with 3rd rail shoe arcing would look pretty neat!!

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Tornado

A highly detailed Tornado would be good IMO, although I expect Hornby would be most likely to do one given they already have the relationship with them (both from existing Tornado and POW) and big LNER locos are high on their list.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Sets of 3, or 4 BR Standard 16 ton mineral wagons  -  with different liveries and numbers  -  sure seller.

4-COR  EMU  - lots of liveries and finishes  (could add 4-RES,  4-BUF  and  4-GRI )

Ex LBSCR  K-class 4-6-0  -  a different looking of Southern mogul.

• Agree 3