Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Hi Peter,

Some seriously good motive power on Llanbourne!!  I had a bit of a double take when I saw the McRats tho :D

Obviously the gen is a bit thin on the ground as I can't believe there's a pair of 40's with nobody leaning out of the coach windows ;)

Cheers

Lee

Thanks Lee,

It's funny you mention the class 40s the owner of the blue one which sounded really good after I sorted the pick ups remembers them really well and used to Bash the north Wales coast back in the early 80s so had plenty of haulage on them, and has a few very nicely detailed models. D200 belongs to another as it turns out class 40 fan. Though Jim is a bit younger than me he still has good memories of seeing them around Manchester.

The McRats didn't look out of place on Llanbourne, when two were sat in the station it made me think of Inverness back in the day. 

Cheers Peter.

• Like 3

Hi Peter

More superb photos. The crane looks superb as well as the Mc Rats. After spending the whole day on Peakdale yesterday I think it's time to have a play day today.

Managed to get the track laid in the run round loop and the rest of the quarry so I've got plenty of operating potential now. Also my mate from work came and solidered my droppers on ready for when I put the DCC system in. So a very busy day.

Keep those pictures coming.

Cheers

Marcus

Thanks Marcus,

I really need to crack on with a few jobs on Llanbourne but the layouts running really well at the moment so I just keep running trains. 

I will look out for some pics on your thread it's coming together very well.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

More great pictures as ever that crane is a bit special, I read somewhere the dc kits one isn't the best kit but it looks good to me

David

Thanks David,

You are right it's not the best kit. My mate has spent a lot of time adding his own detail parts, but it looks very good now and just needs some transfers to finish it off.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2

Morning Peter, well I just cant wait to get mine running now, your pics are so inspiring, looks rally lovely, well done.

Hi Andy,

I am sure at your rate you will have things running in no time. I will still be faffing around with stock and you will be on to your next layout.

Cheers Peter. 

A few friends came over yesterday for a bit of a running session. Here are a few pics of the visiting loco's and my friends DC kits crane. Both class 26s had Bifs sound and sounded superb. 

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

Liking your friends early MacRat - I've just finished one if it's sisters, complete (thanks to your tips/ideas) with pipes 3 piece ploughs and KD's on both ends.  Presently adding early round style cab roof radio pods, and it's then to be weathered up.  It's also has Bif's (V3.5) sounds together with 8 function full LED lighting, which includes working ScR style car type headlights.

Regards

Ken

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Rick,

Are you back from the UK yet?

Hope you are having/had a good trip. Will have to catch up sometime.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

Been back a week now and into the swing of things.  I have some six-day weeks coming up (and this is supposed to be a part-time job???) so not sure how much spare time I might have this month but we'll find a time and place to catch up soon enough.

The N-gauge project did well - see the Boghouses link below for full story - and Eastleigh came up trumps with classes 01, 07, 08, 09, 20, 33, 66, 70, 73 and 450 on show and a pair of 1967 tube stock units and a few mystery vehicles as well.

• Like 1

Hi Peter

Liking your friends early MacRat - I've just finished one if it's sisters, complete (thanks to your tips/ideas) with pipes 3 piece ploughs and KD's on both ends.  Presently adding early round style cab roof radio pods, and it's then to be weathered up.  It's also has Bif's (V3.5) sounds together with 8 function full LED lighting, which includes working ScR style car type headlights.

Regards

Ken

Thanks Ken,

Feel free to post up a pic of the finished beast. I have a class 25 with Bifs sound but will eventually get one for one of my class 26s.

Do tell how you have managed to get the ScR car headlights to work as my mate wants to do his. He asked one of the companies Express Models I think, if they would do a lighting kit but has no no joy.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

Been back a week now and into the swing of things.  I have some six-day weeks coming up (and this is supposed to be a part-time job???) so not sure how much spare time I might have this month but we'll find a time and place to catch up soon enough.

The N-gauge project did well - see the Boghouses link below for full story - and Eastleigh came up trumps with classes 01, 07, 08, 09, 20, 33, 66, 70, 73 and 450 on show and a pair of 1967 tube stock units and a few mystery vehicles as well.

Hi Rick,

Well that went quick, and straight back into it too. Hope you are enjoying the new job. 

Glad the N gauge worked well and was that an open day at Eastleigh? or a look round the works.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peter.

That Eastleigh visit was just a diversion off the M27 between Brighton and Penzance - and a diversion I might make again as it's quite short.  A quick drive down Campbell Road bagged the shunters, the LT stuff (including several red buses and what I suspect are or were LT tube-gauge engineers vehicles) and a brand-new 66763 then a pit-stop in the Aldi car park allowed a view of the yards.  

The new job is OK so far.  The novelty wore off a bit tonight with no trains to Frankston or Werribee for most of the evening peak but on the whole it's not bad.  You know what railway shifts are.  And I'm starting to remember!

Cheers

Rick

IMG_1865-L.jpg

IMG_1863-L.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Ken,

Feel free to post up a pic of the finished beast. I have a class 25 with Bifs sound but will eventually get one for one of my class 26s.

Do tell how you have managed to get the ScR car headlights to work as my mate wants to do his. He asked one of the companies Express Models I think, if they would do a lighting kit but has no no joy.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

For the working headlights, I used tiny 0603 SMD Sunny White LED's and very fine magnet wire, being so small, a real beast to solder up.  Peco R15 plastic wagon axle bearings were used for the lamp housings, opened out slightly deeper and thin slices of 2mm fibre optic cable for the lenses, next time I'd use blobs of araldite for that, much easier and far quicker !  I've another example on the WB that I plan to use the Heljan headlamps on - as per your mates model. 

26 035 features 8 function full LED lighting using two decoders including an ESU adaptor board for it's 2 additional function outputs, markers and switchable cabs / headlights / tail lights. I scrapped the HJ circuit board, and designed a new one to enable it all to fit squeeze in, and of course not forgetting the great sounds by Biffo !

If your mate has any questions, let me know

Regards

Ken

post-2215-0-67964900-1430924028_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-08316900-1430924142_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-78592900-1430926629_thumb.jpg

Edited by tractor_37260
  • Like 5

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the info on what you did. I will let my mate know.

You class 26 looks great and I notice the early Highland Stag too, very nice. Looks like a class 27 in the woks too. I would love to see a pic when it's all weathered up.

Cheers Peter.

A quiet Sunday afternoon at Llanbourne. A Sundays only working of a class 128 and van waits to depart to Chester.

37428 has arrived on a service from Crewe, the loco has already run round and pushed back ready to depart. 

Sundays normally means a few loco's on shed and today is no different.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-88109800-1431002444_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-54242000-1431002503_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-97953600-1431002572_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-72296800-1431002676_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-99987200-1431002747_thumb.jpg

Edited by P.C.M
  • Like 18

Hi Peter.

That Eastleigh visit was just a diversion off the M27 between Brighton and Penzance - and a diversion I might make again as it's quite short.  A quick drive down Campbell Road bagged the shunters, the LT stuff (including several red buses and what I suspect are or were LT tube-gauge engineers vehicles) and a brand-new 66763 then a pit-stop in the Aldi car park allowed a view of the yards.  

The new job is OK so far.  The novelty wore off a bit tonight with no trains to Frankston or Werribee for most of the evening peak but on the whole it's not bad.  You know what railway shifts are.  And I'm starting to remember!

Cheers

Rick

IMG_1865-L.jpg

IMG_1863-L.jpg

Nice pics Rick,

I noticed the buses in the pic, never seen any there before. Nice to see the 07 getting some use.

I wouldn't mind a pound for everytime I have stood on Campbell Road bridge.

I must admit I didn't mind earlies or lates but nights don't miss them unless I was Depot groundframe I could always get a few hours sleep.

Cheers Peter.

Really like the 40. Your weathering is right up my street. You need to give 37428 a going over mind. She looks a bit clean!

Thanks Cav,

Weathering is something I try and get right, I normally find a few pics of the actual loco and weather what I see. There seems to be too many models out there now which have a quick blow over with an airbrush and look like they have been off road. I find adding a few paint chips rust spots and a bit of fading can make a loco look well used but not over done.

37428 is quite clean I think it could do with a touch more grime but during 86-7 it was fairly clean as it was cleaned up when it was named sometime in 86.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 3

A quiet Sunday afternoon at Llanbourne. A Sundays only working of a class 128 and van waits to depart to Chester.

37428 has arrived on a service from Crewe, the loco has already run round and pushed back ready to depart. 

Sundays normally means a few loco's on shed and today is no different.

Cheers Peter.

Stunning pictures Peter, really oozes atmosphere and as ever makes me envious of your skills  :O

Looking forward to more great pictures.

Simon

Very nice as always Peter. I feel you have Scottish leanings with some of your stock, a friend and I are currently working on a layout project which may prove of interest, it will certaintly satisfy my requirements for all things Scottish :-)

• Like 1

Stunning pictures Peter, really oozes atmosphere and as ever makes me envious of your skills  :O

Looking forward to more great pictures.

Simon

Thanks Simon,

I have stopped playing trains at the moment so there will be less pics. I need to get things done on the workbench I have been slack recently so plan to crack on with a few projects.

Noticed you are doing a bit yourself, the weathered wagons are looking good.

Cheers Peter.

Very nice as always Peter. I feel you have Scottish leanings with some of your stock, a friend and I are currently working on a layout project which may prove of interest, it will certaintly satisfy my requirements for all things Scottish :-)

Thanks Lee,

It was mentioned on the running day with my mates class 26s and 20 sat on the layout that Llanbourne would work quite well as a Scottish terminus.( Anyone want to sell me some 37/4s) it would need a few.

I will eventually start a thread with my next project which will be based in Scotland but things are going to be busy in the next few weeks so it wont be for a while.

Looking forwards to seeing yours, I did notice on your workbench thread mention of something in the pipelines. It will be good to see you doing something for yourself.

Cheers Peter.

Hello Peter

As you requested on George's thread I've popped some pictures up of 37075 on yesterday's bash at Keighley on Peak Dale.

Hope you like them.

Although the weather was a bit mixed it was a good day with 5 round trips to be had with the added bonus of a real ale bar on the train.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 1