Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Thanks Andy & ess1uk, and all the people who agreed,

Look like girder gets the vote, to be honest once I had done the foam board one it was looking a lot better than the stone arch. I have made a start on the girders tonight.

Cheers Peter. 

• Like 3

Hi Peter

Lowering the 37's is well worth the effort - as the new 37 506 shows !   BTW Girder not the bridge.  Restricting the sideways movement of the bogie pivots has helped with the 26/KD problem, but I've also noticed despite checking and re-checking the height of the chassis mounted KD with a KD gauge before fixing - I still managed to get it wrong - it's mounted slightly to high !! which may not be helping the uncoupling issue.

Regards

Ken

Thanks Ken,

Glad you got your uncoupling problem sorted. I have a few that sit a bit high if you lower the pin a touch that might help them to uncouple it has worked for me.

Don't forget I want to see a pic of the lovely class 26 when it's weathered up.

Cheers Peter.

Nice collection of Tractors Peter, I do like the Banger Blue one, lovely! I would like to have one like her as well.

For what it's worth, I am in the girder camp!

Thanks Alex,

I made a start on the girder bridge tonight. The arch didn't get a single vote, glad I had a second thought now.

I do like my Banger Blue class 37, I have another one to do but that will be a ploughed up IS beast. The 37/5 will probably be sold.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2

I think I have made a bit of a Balls up. Hopefully the pics will show what I mean. To be honest this has been the hardest structure I have built and it was looking ok until I started to glue the new bit on. The problem is I think the deck of the bridge needs to be where the girder section joins the stone. Meaning that the new girder section should sit lower. 

Any thoughts,

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-12083500-1433228644_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-52008400-1433228706_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-72168500-1433228833_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-01098800-1433228873_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Yep the girder would be below deck level to support the girders that run under the deck. Girder bridges such as the one you have next to it have deeper sides which have the cross girders to approx the bottom 3rd or so and the rest above the deck. The one you have with the stone usesthe stone as the bridge sides.

Morning Peter, I would opt for a single Girder, and forget the stone work over it, as per the right hand side, just MY personal preference.

Hi Andy,

Bit late to go with girders all the way as I chopped the last few down to do whats pictured above. I don't fancy waiting to get more as I am in  the mood to to this and I am rapidly getting over it so I will crack with the stone/girder idea. It did seem a good idea at the time. I will teach me to try and be clever.

Cheers Peter.

Yep the girder would be below deck level to support the girders that run under the deck. Girder bridges such as the one you have next to it have deeper sides which have the cross girders to approx the bottom 3rd or so and the rest above the deck. The one you have with the stone usesthe stone as the bridge sides.

Hi Cav,

Thanks for the diagram, it looks like I got the first bit about  right as I had a similar diagram to work from. 

I think I can work something out with other bit, I can lower the girder section so the the stone matches the deck. I found a few pics that show this and think it should work ok. 

I will post up pic tomorrow. 

Cheers Peter.

Single girder - no stone.

Not so much a balls up as a learning curve perhaps.

Hi Rick,

As I said to Andy I will go with the stone for now unless it looks completely wrong, I have had a bit more time out there tonight and think I can make it work.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well here it is and I am quite happy with it, though it seems to have taken a while to get it to this stage. I managed to slice into my thumb last night while trying to change some stonework after that I decided to leave things alone.

The first peoples in the shape of two P way guys have been finished and placed on a the new section, once the bridge is in place I plan to crack on with more scenic work.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-69679500-1433940863_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-80096800-1433940903_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-43191800-1433940938_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-79015600-1433941045_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

The bridge looks superb Peter. I've sent you a PM asking for a bit of advice as I've just built two bridges up out of foam board for Peak Dale Wood.

Out of interest whose stone cladding have you used? Sorry if you mentioned it else where in the thread.

Cheers

Marcus

Very nice work Peter!

I am looking forward to seeing some trains emerge from under the new bridge.

Thanks Alex,

I am going to try and get some paint on it soon and lay the track, so hopefully it won't be too long.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

The bridge looks really good Peter, and after a touch of your excellent weathering it will look great!!

I like your lineside cabinet with the front open.

Jinty ;)

Thanks Mate,

I saw the open cabinet on a layout years ago so always wanted to do one.

I like the new pic in your sig always liked 4fs I have one I detailed in my display cabinet.

Cheers Peter.

Looks very good indeed Peter, BUT I cant see any blood on the Brickwork, hahhah

Super job mate.

Thanks Andy,

Blood went on the floor and my other hand while I tried to stop the flow. lol 

Cheers Peter.