Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

• RMweb Gold

Got myself a digital copy of Hornby magazine and it was great to see more of the layout. The period modelled is my favourite too, and I well remember the N Wales coast at the time as I had just passed my driving test so went up there a lot. Still visit there today every now and again but it's all boring multiple units these days, alas. Absolutely splendid stuff with the layout anyway!

• Like 1

On 28/12/2022 at 02:54, 97406 said:

Got myself a digital copy of Hornby magazine and it was great to see more of the layout. The period modelled is my favourite too, and I well remember the N Wales coast at the time as I had just passed my driving test so went up there a lot. Still visit there today every now and again but it's all boring multiple units these days, alas. Absolutely splendid stuff with the layout anyway!

Thanks mate, things certainly aren't what they used to be. I think they call it progress.🤣

Cheers Peter.

• 2 weeks later...

Pete, I received the mag today, the photos have really shown the layout off to its best. It is funny to see it in print when we know it in the flesh so to speak! 

I hope you have a couple of copies for the next meeting so you can "show off"... you know the rest of the members will keep you grounded🤣🤪

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 10/01/2023 at 22:09, DougN said:

Pete, I received the mag today, the photos have really shown the layout off to its best. It is funny to see it in print when we know it in the flesh so to speak! 

I hope you have a couple of copies for the next meeting so you can "show off"... you know the rest of the members will keep you grounded🤣🤪

Thanks Doug, i will have to check the newsagents and find a copy or two.

I can sign them and make a profit.🤣🤣🤣

• Funny 3

8 minutes ago, P.C.M said:

Thanks Doug, i will have to check the newsagents and find a copy or two.

I can sign them and make a profit.🤣🤣🤣

Pete this is one of my favourite layouts on here. I was just wondering does it ever cross your mind to build a new layout though? If you did would it be the same era and location?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, Wummyock said:

Pete this is one of my favourite layouts on here. I was just wondering does it ever cross your mind to build a new layout though? If you did would it be the same era and location?

Thanks mate, I am building a 7mm layout Holmes Road. Thread in the 7mm section. Similar time frame but based in Scotland.

I think about rebuilding or starting again in 4mm but but just dont have the time really.

Cheers Peter.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SRman said:

Just got my Hornby Magazine this morning. It is a nice article accompanied by great photos of Llanbourne. No pics of the owner though! 😉

Thanks Jeff, 

Pictures of me isn't going to make people want to read the article.🤣🤣

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Lovely as always Peter.

I actually find the alternating liveries in a rake quite attractive and run a few rakes like that myself. It's amazing how often different liveried coaches seemed to be placed alternately.

I presume coach livery wasn't taken into account at all when forming up rakes and that this was just down to chance? 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Alternating liveries on the Euston are perfectly prototypical and make for an interesting scene. 

Llanbourne is always good viewing. 

Thats Rick, the mid 80s was good for variery in liveries. My rakes change abit to form different trains so they get muzed up a fair bit. The last two coaches are blue grey so it not quite alternating all the way through.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Waverley West said:

Lovely as always Peter.

I actually find the alternating liveries in a rake quite attractive and run a few rakes like that myself. It's amazing how often different liveried coaches seemed to be placed alternately.

I presume coach livery wasn't taken into account at all when forming up rakes and that this was just down to chance? 

Thanks Dave, Nice to hear from you. As i said to Rick my inter city rakes get changed about a bit so the alternating liveries in that set might nit last for long.

Coach liveries wouldn't have mattered when forming the train, though consist did. From pics i have seen the Euston services normally had two or three first then a buffet then opens then a brake at the Holyhead end of the train. The depot making up the formation would only worry about getting the rigjt coaches in the train and liveries wouldn't  matter.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Clive martin said:

I have just watched your latest you tube video of Llanbourne  and enjoyed every minute,just perfection !

I found that just before I left for work at lunchtime son really looking forward to watching it when I get home in a couple of hours 😀

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 25/02/2023 at 07:37, P.C.M said:

Most of you would know Llanbourne featured in the January copy of Hornby Mag,  i now have a copy too. it normally takes a few months for mags to get out to Oz and the Hornby mag showed up this week. Its nice to have a hard copy, i am really happy with how it came out.

20230225_092440.jpg

It seems odd that it takes so long to get there, you’d think printing it locally would be cheaper than shipping!

Great that you have a copy, I imagine it’s a proud moment. The photos look great and it’s nice to be able to read a full length article on it. 

Now if you could just pop over with it to the Warley show, that would be excellent. 

• Agree 1

On 02/03/2023 at 02:18, Clive martin said:

I have just watched your latest you tube video of Llanbourne  and enjoyed every minute,just perfection !

Thanks Clive.

On 02/03/2023 at 07:59, 61656 said:

It seems odd that it takes so long to get there, you’d think printing it locally would be cheaper than shipping!

Great that you have a copy, I imagine it’s a proud moment. The photos look great and it’s nice to be able to read a full length article on it. 

Now if you could just pop over with it to the Warley show, that would be excellent. 

I think they get sent on a boat to keep the cost down. 

Unfortunately llanbourne wont be leaving the garage any time soon. I would love to get to Warley again though it was a good show when i went in the early 90s

• Like 1