Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

23 hours ago, saxokid said:

Im same pete toying with idea getting new 37430,but sametime ile be keeping all my favorite Bachmann large logos too👍

I think if I was going to keep it as 37430 I would be very tempted renumbering to 427 would meN some work so doing one already started makes more sense.

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Steven B said:

I do like this scene. Very convincing.

How did you make the vegetation on the embankment?

Steven B.

Thanks Steven, the actual base is carpet underlay teased out and stuck down in clumps with PVA the green is woodland scenic fiber that again is teased out to form bushes than flock is added to the top. Other bushes are foam clumps and the trees are seafoam.

Cheers Peter.

• Informative/Useful 3

• 3 weeks later...

Just a question for people follow the thread. My Hornby 08s have been playing up a bit lately my 08472 has always been a bit more fussy  but recently 08695 has been stalling. Any advice on what the go to decoder with stay alive would be to  improve the running. DCC concepts looks pretty good.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, P.C.M said:

Just a question for people follow the thread. My Hornby 08s have been playing up a bit lately my 08472 has always been a bit more fussy  but recently 08695 has been stalling. Any advice on what the go to decoder with stay alive would be to  improve the running. DCC concepts looks pretty good.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Do you know what decoders are in them, as that may have a bearing on advice?

Rich

15 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Hi Peter,

Do you know what decoders are in them, as that may have a bearing on advice?

Rich

Hi Rich, pretty sure gaugemaster I should really check though I was thinking of putting in a newer decoder with the stay alive. The ones in the loco's have been in for a number of years now so newer ones would certainly be smaller and leave me more room.

Cheers Peter.

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...

Pete, ESU decoders have the possibility of a keep alive capacitor to be installed. Might be worth a google around for the instructions. - Locally the ESU's can be had from Metro Hobbies boxhill for about $60. I have bought a number there recently. Most of the instructions could be had from the Hornby mag DCC installs either sound or not. You can buy the cap's at Jaycar. Not sure which uF rating you need or the voltage but from memory it has to be higher ie 35v rather than 16v (the later is below the voltage of the dcc units!) ... google is your friend... or ask SRman he may have played with a few. 

On 11/11/2022 at 11:08, Lowlander said:

Need some updates Pete. Getting withdrawal symptons here😁

Thanks Mate, I will take a few pics and post them up I have been a bit slack recently.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 11/11/2022 at 13:50, DougN said:

Pete, ESU decoders have the possibility of a keep alive capacitor to be installed. Might be worth a google around for the instructions. - Locally the ESU's can be had from Metro Hobbies boxhill for about $60. I have bought a number there recently. Most of the instructions could be had from the Hornby mag DCC installs either sound or not. You can buy the cap's at Jaycar. Not sure which uF rating you need or the voltage but from memory it has to be higher ie 35v rather than 16v (the later is below the voltage of the dcc units!) ... google is your friend... or ask SRman he may have played with a few. 

Thanks Doug, I will have a chat with you next time I see you. The capacitor will need to be a small as I have very little room in the class 08.

Cheers Peter.

On 15/08/2022 at 13:28, P.C.M said:

Cheers Peter.

Peter,

I have a pair of the older Bachmann 08s and I find that when their running gets a bit intermittent the best fix is to dismantle them to be able to properly clean the wiper pickups located at the top of the wheels (access is impossible without dismantling). Neither has a keep alive, but the decoder is a small Hornby one (hard wired) as that's all I could find that fits.

Ian

• Informative/Useful 1

18 hours ago, ISW said:

Peter,

I have a pair of the older Bachmann 08s and I find that when their running gets a bit intermittent the best fix is to dismantle them to be able to properly clean the wiper pickups located at the top of the wheels (access is impossible without dismantling). Neither has a keep alive, but the decoder is a small Hornby one (hard wired) as that's all I could find that fits.

Ian

Thanks Ian, My Hornby ones are pretty clean, they have a better set up than the Bachmann models but i can certainly have a better look.

Cheers Peter.

14 hours ago, Temeraire said:

HI Pete

My two 08s are the Bachmann versions that have the daft pickup arrangement at the top of 4 of the wheels. All the dirt and crud makes its way to the top and builds up under the pickup until it stops making contact. 🙄

My solution pictured below. This mod makes them run faultlessly with basic Bachmann chip hardwired in after removing the circuit board and their mounting pips behind the radiator, with no need for stay alives.

08Pickups_250710.JPG.2f2c8866fd0f6f75d61fe9dcc63dcc84.JPG

They pickup from all 6 wheels now!

Hi Ian, How's it going mate, I did that on my old Bachmann models too. It might be worth doing it on my Hornby ones but the pickups do seem to be doing their job. 

Cheers Peter.

9 hours ago, Melangoose said:

Hi Pete

I see that the layout is in next months Hornby Magazine.  Will sure get a copy to keep.

Hi Nigel, It is yeah looking forwards to seeing how it looks myself.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Hi Ian,

What’s on the end of your pickups?  Have you just formed the wire into a loop?

Paul.

Hi Paul

Yes. I just bent the wheel end of the wire into a small loop to increase surface area that's all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

Peter,

many congratulations on the Llanbourne write-up in the January edition of Hornby Magazine. That was a welcome surprise when I was out running errands earlier today. I very much enjoyed reading about the evolution of the layout over  time; and your strict adherence to a particular time and place, which places everything in context so effectively.  It shouts, 'real railway.' Some fabulous photographs, too, which really show off the scale of your accomplishment. I was pleased to see also that you intend to continue to develop the layout further - I shall look forward to reading more about it in future as it evolves.

Best wishes,

Paul

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1