Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, PupCam said:

I think I paid about £300 for my Unimat in the early 80s shortly after marriage.     I'm pleased to  say I still have both and they are are both fully operational.

Pretty much what I remember paying for mine in 1978, although since I was living in Germany at the time I didn’t pay VAT (or was it still purchase tax then?) even though I bought it when on leave in UK. Hence, for the advertised UK price I was able to add a milling attachment and some other bits and pieces. I still use it frequently; in fact I use it far more than the much bigger Hobbymat machine that I bought later from a late friend’s estate. To be honest I don’t really use the Honbymat enough to justify keeping it so I’m thinking of trying to sell it.

Dave

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Could you post some piccies sometime pretty please?

When I get back from this enforced absence and having to put up with sunshine, fine food and relaxation all day long.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

I was chatting to some acquaintances in a Spanish bar earlier and the conversation got round to mis-heard song lyrics. One of the women said that her sister used to think that Creedence Clearwater’s “I see the bad moon a’risin’” was “I pee in the bathroom on the right”. 🤣

Dave

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 13

On 18/10/2023 at 05:47, newbryford said:

One for @Happy Hippo

Playing trains on the new small layout last night! Link in sig. (Just noticed the loose handrails - a tiny dab of glue required.)

No paneers were harmed.

20231016_221908.jpg.bbb9abd65e1340433f85ccf6ce80cef7.jpg

Maybe you can shove those axle boxes and frames in a bit while you are at it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

I just left-click and drag the cursor to highlight the portion that I want to copy then right-click and select copy.

Ah ha I think I may have spotted a slight problem with your excellent piece of advice. Our glorious leader only has 9 and three quarters digits so he is at an immediate disadvantage if he wants to left click or for that matter right click. Whether he  reports such blatant discrimination I'll leave it up to him to decided. Whatever you do Big H you have the support of your loyal followers.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Ah ha I think I may have spotted a slight problem with your excellent piece of advice. Our glorious leader only has 9 and three quarters digits so he is at an immediate disadvantage if he wants to left click or for that matter right click. Whether he  reports such blatant discrimination I'll leave it up to him to decided. Whatever you do Big H you have the support of your loyal followers.

My secretary does the right and left clicking, I just dictate.

And when I 'write' that I do not mean dictate in the vein of:  'I have no more territorial gains!'

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 9
  • Funny 1

13 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

This is my 'local' World's End pub.

https://whatpub.com/pubs/ESW/10994/worlds-end-tilbury

Jeez I  clicked on that link on my phone while sitting having breakfast, firstly got a popup along the bottom half of the screen demanding me to Accept The Cookies, then another  across the middle saying it wanted to know my devices location, then a full screen ad for something called Taproom covered the lot  then a notification slid down from the top asking for permission  to install an app called Paramount.

It was like playing Whack A Mole, so I gave up! 

• Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear also subscribes to our resident Fraggle's method of posting the lot, bullsh1t n' all.  Still seems to work ok.

I just clicked and pasted from the address bar - anything else I leave to people who actually understand computers, which is not me.  Why would I know the rest isn't needed?  Bl**dy computers......🤪😇

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear just happens to be equipped with a very efficient bullsh1t filter - both incoming and outgoing.

Some years ago there was a case of a woman who had been conned out of a large amount of money by a man who she was in a relationship with.  He had claimed to be an MI5 agent as a cover for many things he couldn't explain.  She was a well-educated woman (possibly legally-trained?) but her filters didn't pick up on the nonsense and being able to turn off people's "filters" is how romance - in fact, all - fraudsters work.

We probably all think we're too intelligent to be caught out by bull5h1t, but an academic commenting on the case above made the point that there is evidence of apparently more intelligent, successful people being easier targets for some cons.  This is because their self-confidence may assure them that they would see through any fraudster, so they subconsciously turn off their filter.  My own Dad, a well-educated man and always careful with money, has lost money to an investment fraud before, although thankfully - precisely because he is careful - it wasn't more than he could afford to lose (I wince when I hear how people put their life savings into one investment, on the word of someone they often never met).  Fraudsters are skilled at identifying which buttons to press with different people and when to walk away to the next on the "suckers list".  Which is why the best filter is time: NEVER act quickly (which is what phishing e-mails always ask you to do).

Lest anyone think that being less educated gives them, in some inverse snobbish way, an advantage, remember that most victims of fraud are the less-educated, poorest (i.e. most desperate) people, conned by pyramid schemes and the like.  The easiest way to get someone with very little money to part with it, is to convince them that only you have the secret to why others are richer than them and for a small monthly fee, you'll tell them what it is......

• Like 15
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Some years ago there was a case of a woman who had been conned out of a large amount of money by a man who she was in a relationship with.  He had claimed to be an MI5 agent as a cover for many things he couldn't explain.  She was a well-educated woman (possibly legally-trained?) but her filters didn't pick up on the nonsense and being able to turn off people's "filters" is how romance - in fact, all - fraudsters work.

This one takes some beating:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11299951/Woman-duped-27-000-Russian-astronaut-needed-rocket-landing-fees-marry-her.html

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 14

A friend of mine who is in her seventies and lives by herself started receiving messages from someone (Via Facebook IIRC) claiming to be a former US army officer working on humanitarian aid in Syria. He seemed quite genuine, claimed to be from St. Louis etc etc.

But after a few weeks, he began to spin a tale about needing funding to be able to continue his work.

She told me that it sounded suspect and what did I think as his profile and pictures seemed genuine enough. 

So I got her to suggest talking to her friend, who had served in the British army, worked in Africa on various projects, including fresh water supplies for outlying communities and had spent some time working for GM at Wentzville and knew St. Louis quite well, she was sure that we would have much to talk about.

The messages abruptly stopped.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Northmoor said:

.  The easiest way to get someone with very little money to part with it, is to convince them that only you have the secret to why others are richer than them and for a small monthly fee, you'll tell them what it is......

Can't say I've seen any Nigerian Princes posting here........

• Agree 4
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

No, because they died in the air-crash that has provided the millions now being offered - if you can help get it out of the country!

One can always send donations of money/whisky/cider/cake/barabrith/bacon rolls to Dave Hunt who is collecting on  my behalf for the Central African Sanctuary for Hippos. (CASH)

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

One can always send donations of money/whisky/cider/cake/barabrith/bacon rolls to Dave Hunt who is collecting on  my behalf for the Central African Sanctuary for Hippos. (CASH)

Indeed, on my return I will be available for donations, which will have to be increased because I have spent a lot on holiday some of HH’s needs have grown. 

Dave

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1