Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

1 hour ago, rockershovel said:

We did have this, it being a feature of English Common Law that any given thing was legal unless specifically demonstrated not to be. 

We had no law by which a man (or indeed, woman) could be taken to court for his (or indeed, her) opinions, however eccentric they might appear.

Then we were told we needed laws to ensure these things and so, by degrees we came to the present pass.

And if my understanding of Continental law is correct where it's the reverse i.e you are not able to do anything unless we tell you you can. Something which seems to becoming more prevalent in this country now a days.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

And if my understanding of Continental law is correct where it's the reverse i.e you are not able to do anything unless we tell you you can. Something which seems to becoming more prevalent in this country now a days.

More accurately that is Napoleonic law as applied in France and some other European states and that certainly doesn't stop protestors. 

• Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, SM42 said:

I couldn't resist  the latest bit if click bait madness about how you risk a £200 fine for not changing the clock in your car. 

How so?  You wonder

Apparently if the clock is wrong people will look at their phone instead. 🤔

The ability to add one to a number is beyond most drivers it seems. 

Andy

Simples just rotate your non dominant wrist and glance at your watch. 

Jamie

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 4

3 hours ago, rockershovel said:

My wife had such in November and it turned out well. I recommend one of those water heater things instead of a kettle 

I would have said that a 'water heater thingy' was too heavy for Ramrod to lift just yet. However lifting  a model loco out of it's box and placing on track, sounds like good therapy

Edited by Canal Digger
addition
  • Like 5
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Canal Digger said:

I would have said that a 'water heater thingy' was too heavy for Ramrod to lift just yet. However lifting  a model loco out of it's box and placing on track, sounds like good therapy

Cutting and buttering slices of Bara Brith then pouring good measures of Penderyn would probably be more beneficial for recovery.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 2
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

For those interested in military history, Ramrod was a type of daylight offensive raid carried out by the RAF between winning the BoB in 1940 and the allied invasion of Europe in 1944.

The general theme would be a small bomber force would attack a specific target whilst supported by a large fighter formation.

On a different track, there  was also a Mr Ramrod, who made a certain type of film on the 1980s.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

14 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

... On a different track, there  was also a Mr Ramrod, who made a certain type of film on the 1980s.

From the degree of circumspection, I deduce the films were of an intimate nature?

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Hroth said:

From the degree of circumspection, I deduce the films were of an intimate nature?

I think that the name sort of gives it away.

Dave

• Agree 9

1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

I think that the name sort of gives it away.

Dave

Well of course we could just go back to the old call sign Quasimodo Hunt, but it just doesn't have the same feel about it as Ramrod.

• Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

There are days that look simple, but go near-catastrophic. I went for my scan. Followed the set procedure of checking in at the accounts office, so charges can be raised, then off to the scanner. Reception there took my creatinine reading result (mid range, so utterly normal) and I waited. Young-ish tech took me into an office/treatment room, and after a few prelims inserted a canula inside the left elbow, with a drip. Off to the scanner, of the polo-mint variety. I got on the trolley, arranged my arms behind my head as instructed and we started, only to find my elbows were fouling the scanner, so my arms were being ripped out of their sockets. Ok, put your arms by your side. Much more comfy and scanning began. Sadly on the second pass the infusion tube must have fouled something, and I think the canula was ripped out of my arm, with fluid spraying everywhere. Tech and another chap quickly on the case but I now have an enormous swelling by the elbow. This was then x-rayed, and lady explained it is only fluid. Cold compress for 20 mins every hour, come back tomorrow for another x-ray. I was a bit shocked by the whole thing - and tomorrow my car gets its annual service! A grand, military FU. 

Although I am really sympathetic to your discomfort, I started to smirk when I first misread that Reception took your cretin reading (mid range, so utterly normal).

This was compounded, when I then scanned, in no particular order, one getting an annual service which involved an enormous swelling, a lady and then fluid spraying everywhere.

I must find my reading glasses.

5 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

When I had to lie on my front on a trolley to gave a biopsy on my back recently I asked what should I do with my arms. Letting them dangle seemed best but I was told to grip the pillow. So I did and it made a popping sound. 

Dear Lord, did you bite it? What did they do to you?

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Dear Lord, did you bite it? What did they do to you?

I honestly only squeezed it. I had thought I was losing my grip a bit recently too. I have never had any problem opening jars but have had to using one of those things to deform the lid a bit to break the seal. As for the procedure I didn’t feel a thing. I now have a scar instead of an abnormal naevus but I can’t see it so am not bothered! 

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

I started to smirk when I first misread that Reception took your cretin reading (mid range, so utterly normal).

In fact my cretin reading has been off-the-scale for years, according to many!

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I honestly only squeezed it. I had thought I was losing my grip a bit recently too. I have never had any problem opening jars but have had to using one of those things to deform the lid a bit to break the seal. As for the procedure I didn’t feel a thing. I now have a scar instead of an abnormal naevus but I can’t see it so am not bothered! 

And no I'm not going to Google - abnormal naevus thank you.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

And no I'm not going to Google - abnormal naevus thank you.

A naevus is a mole, if you have an abnormal one it could possibly be skin cancer.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

16 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

A naevus is a mole, if you have an abnormal one it could possibly be skin cancer.

Ahm thank you but I did say I wasn't going to find this out. Thank you.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

Ahm thank you but I did say I wasn't going to find this out. Thank you.

I was relieved it wasn’t one of these…IMG_0198.jpeg.519a88568defb81ab549238efb6b927f.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

5 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I was relieved it wasn’t one of these…IMG_0198.jpeg.519a88568defb81ab549238efb6b927f.jpeg

One of the funniest things I've ever heard was when attending a music festival in Germany and an early morning shout of "There's a mole in my tent!" from someone who was camping with us!

The little blighter had gnawed it's way through the bottom. Fair do's as he was there first. We moved the tent then tipped it out near it's hole which he dived down. Didn't see him again.

• Like 10
  • Funny 1

17 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

One of the funniest things I've ever heard was when attending a music festival in Germany and an early morning shout of "There's a mole in my tent!"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moll_(slang)#:~:text=Moll%2C mole%2C or molly in,sexual morals%2C or a prostitute.

• Informative/Useful 3