Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

10 hours ago, polybear said:

Would a Bear need a Licence for one of those?  Just askin' for a friend......

9 hours ago, SM42 said:

A bear packing heat.

9 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

No🤪

5 hours ago, pH said:

Perhaps, but the granting of a licence should be a formality. After all, the US constitution guarantees the right to arm bears.

I don't think we should encourage him....

armedbear.jpg.03b6d6ace83b833a5f2fbbb26e51eab8.jpg

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

On mailing lists (computer-related) I subscribe with a text-based mail client, and take the opportunity to rotate my .signature files a couple of times a month.  Some while ago I was using:

The right of the people to keep and arm Bears, shall not be infringed.

I got some grief about that from a Dutch guy - it turned out he had read what he thought I'd written and assumed I was one of the looney right as I think I can safely call them on this list, whereas I'm proudly woke 🙄 (for at least some definitions of woke).

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I don't think we should encourage him....

armedbear.jpg.03b6d6ace83b833a5f2fbbb26e51eab8.jpg

Oh, I dunno......I reckon a few thousand Clone Bears patrolling the streets would do wonders for law n' order in the UK.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Oh, I dunno......I reckon a few thousand Clone Bears patrolling the streets would do wonders for law n' order in the UK.

Not with that ammunition.

It won't fit the gun, so you'll have to throw it at the Voldemorts.

• Funny 13

1 minute ago, Happy Hippo said:

And don't forget his 'diamond cross'. Looks like it might be a cheap knock off though.

• Funny 10

Good morning folks,

The bear’s lower bandolier looks like it’s carrying 20mm cannon ammo, so maybe a Hispano Suiza ex Spitfire weapon would be suitable.

Although Bf109s and Fw190s also toted 20mm cannons, which may be more readily available for certain European locations?

Cheers, Nigel.

• Like 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

Today I get my annual zoledronic acid infusion. Nerdy nurse Corinne will be here before midday. It takes about 20 minutes. I am convinced that it works because my back has been increasingly uncomfortable over recent months, as the anniversary approaches. So every morning since Saturday I have drunk 5 glasses of water over and above my usual tea/coffee/orange juice. And I am required to take paracetamol 4 times a day for the next three days, irrespective of pain or not. I feel the instructions become more strict every year, and have yet to feel ill afterwards to any extent worth mentioning. I hope I don't regret saying that!

Yesterday I consulted my GP about the results of the recent chest scan - and of course she now wants me to see a pneumologist. With our cruise coming up next week I won't hurry. GP herself was in poor form, sadly, looking old and weary, and drinking lots of water. I hope she can diagnose a remedy. I asked if she takes HRT - she's mid-50s - and yes, she does. The fact that my consultation took 25 minutes tells you everything about her diligence. And, like me, being a foreigner - she's Spanish - doesn't help when you feel down, perhaps. 

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, GMKAT7 said:

Good morning folks,

The bear’s lower bandolier looks like it’s carrying 20mm cannon ammo, so maybe a Hispano Suiza ex Spitfire weapon would be suitable.

Although Bf109s and Fw190s also toted 20mm cannons, which may be more readily available for certain European locations?

Cheers, Nigel.

There should be lots of scrap 20mm Gatling guns from the old RAF F4s that would make Bear’s armoury of sufficient scrote deterrent  value.

Dave

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I seem to remember that Sgt Rock of Easy Company was usually shown wearing bandoliers of 50 cal ammunition which he would have no possible use for? 

Edited by rockershovel
  • Funny 7

Roll on next week.

The Bristol Exhibition will have come, and gone

And hopefully that bl**dy 'pop up' will disappear - and I can log into RMweb in peace.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Just off to see our friend who moved last week to Whittington near Oswestry. Must take our passports as the journey involves going through Wales twice. Whilst there the joyous news is that we are taking her shopping for furniture and other household stuff so I will take a book and probably play the ‘Ooh, me poor old back’ card so I can stay in the car and not have to traipse around the stores. On the bright side we are also going to lunch at a rather nice hostelry and since I’m not driving I can have a glass or two of happy water.

TTFN

Dave

Sounds to this Bear like a diversion to the bed testing department is called for.

• Like 8
  • Agree 2

There was a sword attack incident in Hainult, London this morning, during which a 13 yo boy was killed and 4 others, including two police officers, were injured.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-london-68926446

The attacker was tasered to a stop.  Its a pity he wasn't shot by armed officers.  Now we have the waste of money for a trial and keeping the attacker locked up for an appropriate length of time.

Edited by Hroth
typo and missing comma :-)
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Hroth said:

There was a sword attack incident in Hainult, London this morning, during which a 13 yo boy was killed and 4 others, including two police officers were injured.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-london-68926446

The attacker was tasered to a stop.  Irs a pity he wasn't shot by armed officers.  Now we have the waste of money for a trial and keeping the attacker locked up for an appropriate length of time.

The trouble with that sort of response is that any armed response officer who has the misfortune to shoot is put through the wringer.

Typical sort of post incident 'debrief' probably goes like this.

'You discharged your weapon twice and wounded Mr X. when one shot would have been enough to disable him.... explain yourself!  You will be suspended from your role whilst a full investigation is carried out and you may subsequently find yourself on a charge of negligently wounding Mr X with intent to kill.'

However in the USA a similar debrief would go:

'Why did you discharge your firearm seven times when shooting Mr Y?'

'I got a stoppage Sir!'

'OK, fair point.'

• Like 4
  • Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

19 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

The trouble with that sort of response is that any armed response officer who has the misfortune to shoot is put through the wringer.

'You discharged your weapon twice and wounded Mr X. when one shot would have been enough to disable him.... explain yourself!  You will be suspended from your role whilst a full investigation is carried out and you may subsequently find yourself on a charge of negligently wounding Mr X with intent to kill.'

However in the USA a similar debrief would go:

'Why did you discharge your firearm seven times when shooting Mr Y?'

'I got a stoppage Sir!'

'OK, fair point.'

In contrast, the senior policewoman who by lucky chance happened to be on site and was quickly able to discharge  3 shots and drop the bloke who went on a stabbing spree, killing 6 people  in Bondi Junction Plaza a couple of weeks ago   has been praised  by the PM down.  

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2024/apr/13/police-officer-who-shot-bondi-junction-attacker-wielding-a-massive-knife-hailed-as-a-hero

NSW police carry a Glock and a Taser. No one here would think of questioning why she chose the Glock solution...

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 4
  • Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

In contrast, the senior policewoman who by lucky chance happened to be on site and was quickly able to discharge  3 shots and drop the bloke who went on a stabbing spree, killing 6 people  in Bondi Junction Plaza a couple of weeks ago   has been praised  by the PM down.  

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2024/apr/13/police-officer-who-shot-bondi-junction-attacker-wielding-a-massive-knife-hailed-as-a-hero

NSW police carry a Glock and a Taser. No one here would think of questioning why she chose the Glock solution...

Good on her.

My interaction with members of the Australian Armed Forces many years back, led me to believe that they had neither the time nor the inclination to stand on ceremony and pussy foot around when it came to taking action.  That they got backed up by their superiors was refreshing.

Unfortunately the British police and the  UK criminal justice system has been taken over by the biggest bunch of liberal wet wipes the world has ever known.  They are well known for making the perpetrator the victim and the victim(s) the perpetrator.  The more liberally minded get further up the greasy pole of promotion, whilst the sopping wet get all the way to the top.  When they are entrenched in these positions, they then promote like minded individuals into senior roles so the whole system becomes a self perpetuating clusterf*ck.

(It appears I may have become a little agitated, for which I apologize.)

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Good on her.

My interaction with members of the Australian Armed Forces many years back, led me to believe that they had neither the time nor the inclination to stand on ceremony and pussy foot around when it came to taking action.  That they got backed up by their superiors was refreshing.

Unfortunately the British police and the  UK criminal justice system has been taken over by the biggest bunch of liberal wet wipes the world has ever known.  They are well known for making the perpetrator the victim and the victim(s) the perpetrator.  The more liberally minded get further up the greasy pole of promotion, whilst the sopping wet get all the way to the top.  When they are entrenched in these positions, they then promote like minded individuals into senior roles so the whole system becomes a self perpetuating clusterf*ck.

(It appears I may have become a little agitated, for which I apologize.)

Along with that other bunch of well-known Parasites, the 'uman rites lawyers.🤬

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

31 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I've been  a civvie contractor for the Australian army then the RAAF for the last 27 years, all spent on military bases. Seeing the interaction between officers and troops has been interesting.  Starting in  WW1 there's been an unofficial "no d!ckheads" policy whereby if an officer is perceived as being too "officery" without first earning  respect he is quickly  pulled into line.

Our armed forces are small numerically but pride themselves in being able to do whatever they are tasked with,  and in return those in charge give them the resources and freedom  to be able to do it.

The same is true of the emergency services, hence why Amy Scott will no doubt get official recognition  for her gallantry rather than have to justify her actions before some tribunal.

image.png.afc13524a3838a8207783c97e89f7ec6.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 10
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, polybear said:

Along with that other bunch of well-known Parasites, the 'uman rites lawyers.🤬

More than a few politicians in both the upper and lower chambers are either in amongst that bunch, or have close friends and relatives who are.

See how the wetness spreads.

If you don't believe me, take a cup of water and empty it over a table and see how far it goes.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

It seems to me that there are only two ways to fully maintain civil order: the first (and by far the best) is where citizens understand that they have obligations, duties and responsibilities - as well as rights - and thus behave in public (and to each other) with respect and consideration (as we see in Japan) OR the state meets out such terrifying, unavoidable and draconian punishment for any sort of infraction that no-one dares put a foot out of place (such as in North Korea).

The UK has to be careful that, with the widespread ascent of (as HH put it) of "the biggest bunch of liberal wet wipes the world has ever known.  They are well known for making the perpetrator the victim and the victim(s) the perpetrator". the populace doesn't elect (or allow the takeover by) a Kim Jong Un act-alike strongman.

Probably, the most galling thing about the current situation in the UK is that seems to be driven by naked self-interest (for top jobs, promotions, eye-watering salaries etc.) rather than by any real commitment to the ideologies they espouse and promote.

If there was money to be made, promotions to be had and stellar careers to forge by cleaving to  draconian "kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out" policies, most of the current bunch of "soppy liberals" (other terms are available) would would commit such an about-volte-face  and start meeting out such punishments as to make "Hanging Judge" Jeffreys say "whoah, slow down a bit"....

Edited by iL Dottore
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

22 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Probably, the most galling thing about the current situation in the UK is that seems to be driven by naked self-interest (for top jobs, promotions, eye-watering salaries etc.) rather than by any real commitment to the ideologies they espouse and promote

In the end it all comes down to pay, and in the UK probably the class structure. 

Here you can leave school early and get a job driving heavy plant in the WA  mines and earn more than the local  MP.   There's heat and dust and flies but working FIFO (fly in fly out) you get one week on then 10 days off to spend back  in your Perth mansion with your jetski and V8 ute.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

'You discharged your weapon twice and wounded Mr X. when one shot would have been enough to disable him.... explain yourself! 

“Well, anyone who has been properly trained in the use of firearms when trying to stop and armed perpetrator will have been taught ‘double tap’ as the way to do it.”

Dave

• Like 8
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 2