Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

I have to pay some cash into the charity's bank account.  I roll up about 2:30 to find the following notice on the door, "To improve customer service during the pandemic, we have reduced our opening hours to 10am - 2pm."    Yeah?

So I walk down the High Street to undertake a personal transaction at my building society, the branch staying open until 4pm.  One reason why I haven't had a bank account for over 30 years.  Bill

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold

Bill, I would have thought they would have stayed open longer so as to avoid queues!

I have to be away shortly to drop the car off for it's annual service and MoT.

It's only done 5k since the last July; the previous three intervals from MoT to MoT have been around 8k so it shows how the lock down has had an impact on trips to see family in various parts of the UK. 

The weather looks nice enough to walk back from Wellington this morning.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I hope you enjoyed your visit to Blists Hill, Richard. I haven't been there for a few years now as I became disaffected with the place when it became more of a Noddy goes to Victorian Land than a museum. To have the remains of the earliest blast furnaces in the world without even a sign to state what they are, ditto for the two big pumping engines, the replica Trevithick locomotive being left to rot when it used to work, the sweet shop that used to sell sweets from big glass jars in paper bags now just selling pre- packed ones in plastic wrappings, the canal and the incline unattended and turning into jungles etc. turned me right off. Has it changed for  the better?

Dave

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I hope you enjoyed your visit to Blists Hill, Richard. I haven't been there for a few years now as I became disaffected with the place when it became more of a Noddy goes to Victorian Land than a museum. To have the remains of the earliest blast furnaces in the world without even a sign to state what they are, ditto for the two big pumping engines, the replica Trevithick locomotive being left to rot when it used to work, the sweet shop that used to sell sweets from big glass jars in paper bags now just selling pre- packed ones in plastic wrappings, the canal and the incline unattended and turning into jungles etc. turned me right off. Has it changed for  the better?

Dave

Not really, I had my usual whine about the wooden framed open wagons being allowed to go to even more rack and ruin.

Of course I was put in my place by you know who!

She told me if I wanted something done about the wagons, I ought to volunteer to sort them out for the museum.  Ditto the  incline plane, overgrown canal bed etc.

But I've still got a load of 7 mm opens to build first, so I'd need a very big round tuit.

The trouble would be, that by the time I'd finished the wagons would consist of the wheels, axle boxes, springs and about 3/4 of the existing iron work.  It's not an impossible task, but without proper workshop facilities it would very much be an uphill battle.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Having helped get a wooden vehicle back to running order I would think that you are very wise to concentrate on 7mm versions.  The horse tram actually bore more resemblance to a 4 wheel railway wagon than an electric tram, and we were able to reuse about 50% of the timber. There was a bit of ironwork that we could salvage/repair but most just served as patterns for new pieces.  It was fun but a lot of hard work.  It is a shame that a lot of museums seem to have lost their way  after a lotbof good work in the 70's and 80's.  Armley Mills Industrial museum in Leeds is the same with steam artifacts left outside to rot. Perhaps I'm being a tad cynical, but did this happen when 'museum professionals' took over from the original founding enthusiasts who had the vision.

Jamie

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I think there are a number of issues regarding the way artefacts are being left to rot away rather than be preserved.

The day of the volunteer just turning up and being given a pot of paint and a brush or a wheelbarrow and a shovel have long gone.

They now require induction courses, health and safety briefings and require training on equipment or have to prove a paper trail of competence before they are let anywhere near a set of steps or a hammer.  They also need to be properly equipped with approved safety gear and hi viz if appropriate.  Don't even dream of helping clear an embankment with a chainsaw unless you have the correct NPTC qualifications.  Machine tools or welding?  Dream on!

Any work they do has to be part of a program of works, so it has to coordinate with other similar jobs that are being undertaken. So it's no good digging out the canal and getting the water flowing again if the lock gates are not rebuilt.

Funding is hard to get.  In the case of the wagons I mentioned, for example a lot of replacement timber and appropriate fixings.

Accommodation is also required.  I'm not talking about beds for the night but a place for the work to be carried out with the appropriate equipment to do the job safely.  Accommodation also needs to be found for the finished restored artefact so that it's future degradation is slowed down.  The natural elements of rain, wind and sun do a superb job of creating decay and rot in all sorts of structures.

It's not that it cannot be done, but you have also got to persuade the financiers that it's a worthwhile project, and if you are successful you also need to get volunteers to take part.  and now we are back to square one as getting people to volunteer is getting increasingly difficult.

I am a volunteer with Girlguiding UK, in that I am an occasional helper. (As such I can be called upon to stand in as a responsible adult at a meeting. ) I am also a D of E  Expedition Supervisor, and a County Adviser.  For all these roles, I have to be DBS checked, hold a 'Safe Space' Level 3 qualification (because I have an adviser's role) and I need to be a qualified First Responder.  And that's before I do any helping, supervising, or advising!

I don't object to having to jump through various hoops, but as increased legislation continues to gets into volunteer activities, and more administrative and 'paper' requirements are brought into existence, there are more and more who are turning around and voting with their feet.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Agree 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

The picture of an almost empty Blists Hill Museum is only a dozen or so people separated from my own experience, visiting with my sister (who lives locally, with Ironbridge itself literally at the bottom of the hill). Maybe being midweek it was quieter, or because being in the middle of school exams there weren't any school trips! I found it interesting, and there was plenty of time to chat to all the different 'occupants'.

Without wishing to stir up another wave of GOG discussion (I think I did quite enough of that on the other thread!), I am glad to read that the majority of others' experiences have been positive, whilst at the same time enough comments resonated with my own post to make me think at least it wasn't just me!  Thank you for all the comments of support (HH included)  As it happens, I have been involved with brass bands (as a player and as a conductor) and with many AmDram Societies as their Musical Director and all I can say is that whenever an organisation becomes large enough to require a formal committee to operate, there will always be differences of opinion between those running the organisation and those in it, and often also between those actually running it! (Internal politics). Human nature, I guess. Anyway, I hope the GOG manages to find a way forward.

Reading of the helicopter water escape training brings to mind my other major phobia - water! But only in large volumes! So I suppose my 'phobia' is actually simply a survival instinct, as in "I don't want to drown!!"

Time for the dog to get his next dose of eye drops!

Steve S

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Time for the dog to get his next dose of eye drops!

Time for mine too!

The young lad at the garage informed me that the car sailed through it's MoT.

My comment about it not being a boat went straight over his head.

As for  water escapes, I think the ultimate has got to be the Royal Navy's submarine course using the Submarine Escape Training Tower (SETT).

I've seen it, and would never have the inclination to try it even if invited.

One of our modelling group has a son in the RN, and he has used it as part of his training for the silent service.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

8 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

As for  water escapes, I think the ultimate has got to be the Royal Navy's submarine course using the Submarine Escape Training Tower (SETT).

I've seen it, and would never have the inclination to try it even if invited.

One of our modelling group has a son in the RN, and he has used it as part of his training for the silent service.

Crikey! Just looked that up one the www and that is a thing of horror for me to even think about! 100 foot ascent without breathing apparatus! Where's the emoji for PANIC! Obviously the whole point is that through training that you are able to do this, but as far as I am concerned that is a non-starter... I get anxious watching "The Poseidon Adventure"!!

Drops are go every two hours throughout the night, so no doubt I shall be annoying various threads to keep awake! 

Steve S

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

Steve,  how long does this regime of 2 hourly drops have to continue?

Having to do to that every two hours for even 48 hours is pretty debilitating.  It will really mess up your body clock as well.

Today has been deemed a gardening day, although my contribution was carried out yesterday with some weeding and getting all the lawns mowed.  I did some hedge work earlier in the week.

However, I'm sure that none of this will be taken into consideration when sentencing is carried out after breakfast.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

My lot are off to St Ives by train today, so I have the house to myself for a few hours.  I am WFH, so no chance of modelling, but I can put my choice of music on loud.

No 2 son had his first ever grade 2 hair cut yesterday (in prep for his 10 week holiday at HMS Raleigh in November) - he says his head is now cold...

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

In due deference to the Great Creator of this forum and in a spirit of solidarity I am also undertaking gardening duties today; or is it because the Management has decreed such and I'm so fond of life's little luxuries like sleeping indoors that I'm falling into line? Answers on the backs of blank, signed cheques please.

On the modelling front I have reached the stage of topographical development on thelayout when vast amounts of glue soaked kitchen roll will be draped over the woven cardboard shell that I've constructed so the mess will probably be indescribable. If I don't post for more than a few days it is probably because I am firmly glued to a large layout in North Hipposhire so please send help.

Have a good Friday each.

Dave

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

How some of you poor wretches suffer! 

Sherry arrived early on Wednesday, and I had already  mowed, trimmed and strimmed the acre. On the St Cosme side field the farmer was busy yesterday with a -flicker, soon followed by a sort of harrow. He had cut his barley last week. Alison tells me the barley crop is a disaster in some places.

I need to emulate Dave on the scenery front, with a long run of undulating and sloping greenery to create, through which a lane must wind. It will put the station into perspective.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

On the modelling front I have reached the stage of topographical development on the layout when vast amounts of glue soaked kitchen roll will be draped over the woven cardboard shell that I've constructed so the mess will probably be indescribable. If I don't post for more than a few days it is probably because I am firmly glued to a large layout in North Hipposhire so please send help.

Have a good Friday each.

Dave

Should I happen across your mortal remains so entombed, I will twirl my tail whilst blowing the last post, then remove the complete boards and rename it Hunter's Hill.

With a name like that it could be either in the South East, or even a way side stop on the old north Cornwall line.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

No 2 son had his first ever grade 2 hair cut yesterday (in prep for his 10 week holiday at HMS Raleigh in November) - he says his head is now cold...

If he thinks it's cold now, wait until his grade 2 is wandering around Dartmoor in the cold and wet.  

If it's dark as well, I can guarantee he will also accidentally find a nice cold bog to wade through.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Steve,  how long does this regime of 2 hourly drops have to continue?

Having to do to that every two hours for even 48 hours is pretty debilitating.  It will really mess up your body clock as well.

Today has been deemed a gardening day, although my contribution was carried out yesterday with some weeding and getting all the lawns mowed.  I did some hedge work earlier in the week.

However, I'm sure that none of this will be taken into consideration when sentencing is carried out after breakfast.

Whatever happened to "Bob a job"?

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

If he thinks it's cold now, wait until his grade 2 is wandering around Dartmoor in the cold and wet.  

If it's dark as well, I can guarantee he will also accidentally find a nice cold bog to wade through.

He did mention he was looking forward to the Dartmoor excursion (about Wk 6), until I mentioned that would be mid-January...

Re the earlier posts about dunking, he is definite he is not going in the Submarine service.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I have (in)conveniently pulled a muscle in my chest:  I do it on a not irregular basis, so it's just uncomfortable and not something to get worried about.

It has prevented me from doing any more work with the hoe, which is not such a bad thing as it's quite warm outside.

But it is preventing me from leaning over and picking things up:  Bottles of Pimms and Lemonade are the worst culprits, so I am reduced to standing and chopping the fruit up, whilst the drinks are being made up.

It's hell having to sit in the garden drinking when there's nothing else to do:mocking_mini:.

I'll have to take my notepad out and do some sketches of the proposed re-landscaping of the back garden.

Of course it will have to take into account the 7.25" line I have plans for. (Just a small run you'll understand.)

• Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold

Good news is I ran the preliminary sketch of the new garden plan past the Obergrumpenfuhrer and she was quite taken with it.

I can only assume she missed the socking great 7.25" gauge line running up the hedge line!

• Like 7
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

A busy day. The G word for most of the morning but unlike our forum leader a bit to the south I wasn't quick thinking enough and missed out on the sitting and drinking version. This afternoon I did get some work done on the layout and actually managed to get a bit more glue on the scenery than on me then since it was my turn to cook dinner got to grips with some salmon in an orange and ginger sauce. After dinner a bit more paper and glue was scattered around the workshop and some landed where it was wanted so all in all a not unsuccessful foray.

Watch the arm lifting HH; with a pulled chest muscle you need to avoid asymmetric movement so it's best to have a drink in each hand.

G'night all.

Dave  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Salmon with orange and Ginger sauce sounds delectable, you must share the recipe.

I had an unexpected surprise just now as the door bell rang, I answered in my pajamas, it was our next door neightbour.

She offered me some of her son's birthday cake that Georgie, the cake making star (next door but one) had made for the occasion.

Being a gentleman it would have been rude to refuse, although I will have to share it with another cake fancier, who is now making a pot of tea to accompany.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Just got back from thevqiz, 3rd equal out of 8. We now have some of the keys to the friends house.  The Model Railway club meal and chat went very well.  Driving back from the quiz there was a very bright star to the south of I think it's Saturn.  

Regards to all.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 8