Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold

I knocked over a glass jar at the back of a shelf in the garage. The jar broke, and this was left on the floor amongst the debris. I believe it is the trigger and cocking action of a Martini Henry rifle. I can't get it to work as it is missing the action body. Question is what do I do with it? IMG_20200719_115516.jpg.02fd7222526d36d4ff97e13b151a6d80.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Be careful when ordering fork handles HH.

Morning all.

Dave

Mentioning fork handles, I have to set up our service in the rain this afternoon.  Bill

Edited by bbishop
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

I knocked over a glass jar at the back of a shelf in the garage. The jar broke, and this was left on the floor amongst the debris. I believe it is the trigger and cocking action of a Martini Henry rifle. I can't get it to work as it is missing the action body. Question is what do I do with it? IMG_20200719_115516.jpg.02fd7222526d36d4ff97e13b151a6d80.jpg

It's a long time since I wrote notes about firearms law but due to it's age and unserviceabilty it should be covered by the exemption for antiques, as long as they don't reclassify you as well.  Comong to think of it, I'm sure that Martini henry's would have been used against Hippos at some point.....

Jamie

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

It's a long time since I wrote notes about firearms law but due to it's age and unserviceabilty it should be covered by the exemption for antiques, as long as they don't reclassify you as well.  Comong to think of it, I'm sure that Martini henry's would have been used against Hippos at some point.....

Jamie

Your right about the antique: Although with all honesty It would be easier to machine up the likes of a Sten gun, rather than try to build the parts for the rest of the rifle.  And if I were to go sniffing around some of the firing points at Sennybridge, which are accessible by the public when the ranges are not in use, I'm sure I could find enough spent cases that have been missed from the post shoot collection.  Yet when I suggested a bag collection system, I was laughed at.

Of course the police are well aware that anyone with access to a lathe and a milling machine could create a working firearm with not much difficulty and they have to show a modicum of common sense, otherwise every model engineer in the country would be under lock and key.

It is the same with the Firearms Enquiry Officers (FEO) nearly all of them are now civilians, but their attitudes tend to vary greatly.  Any rural force, seems to have a much more positive attitude to gun ownership than their suburban or city equivalents.  As one pointed out to me a couple of years back, the problem is not the people who want to legally hold the gun, becasue they invariably have a reasonable need to hold one. It's those that have them under the counter on the black market, as they are invariably where the trouble lies.

I have four rifles down at a friend's house in Powys.  Now the restrictions have lifted somewhat, I hope to be able to recover them.

I have to admit that I don't like travelling with them in the car even if they are legally held, and are safe.  The last thing I want to be doing is explaining why I am travelling around with  a boot load of guns!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

An ex-landlord of mine held a gun licence, and was borderline psychotic and a raving (literally) alcoholic, so I would dispute that the people who apply for firearms or shotgun licenses are by definition the most suitable to be granted them!  I do agree that the current legislation does not address the issue of illegally held firearms; fortunately we are not yet the USA and our police do not habitually carry firearms except at airports.

Jeremy Clarkson, not that I'm a fan, tells a yarn about being stopped for speeding in a lambo or something equally ridiculous in Switzerland, the car being borrowed for the programme from a Swiss citizen.  The cop gave him a lecture about safety, completely ignoring the machine gun on the back seat.  I have heard an argument that the best way to deal with the 'gun problem' is to ensure that all citizens carry loaded firearms at all times as a legal necessity, and are trained in their use, which effectively prevents their use by criminals.  You can see the place where this viewpoint comes from, but I wouldn't want to go there...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

An ex-landlord of mine held a gun licence, and was borderline psychotic and a raving (literally) alcoholic, so I would dispute that the people who apply for firearms or shotgun licenses are by definition the most suitable to be granted them!  I do agree that the current legislation does not address the issue of illegally held firearms; fortunately we are not yet the USA and our police do not habitually carry firearms except at airports.

Jeremy Clarkson, not that I'm a fan, tells a yarn about being stopped for speeding in a lambo or something equally ridiculous in Switzerland, the car being borrowed for the programme from a Swiss citizen.  The cop gave him a lecture about safety, completely ignoring the machine gun on the back seat.  I have heard an argument that the best way to deal with the 'gun problem' is to ensure that all citizens carry loaded firearms at all times as a legal necessity, and are trained in their use, which effectively prevents their use by criminals.  You can see the place where this viewpoint comes from, but I wouldn't want to go there...

If your ex landlord held an FAC then the FEO would have visited his premises, and he would have been interviewed at some length.  His doctor would have been consulted and his two character witnesses would also have been interviewed at some length.  Telling the FEO an untruth would amount to perjury.  So I'd suggest that he was not in that state when the FAC was granted.

If you know that someone is unwell and is in possession of firearms,  and have concerns about their ability to hold them, then really you should be reporting the matter to the Police.  After all, it is up to the Chief Officer of that particular force/service to issue the FAC, but only once all the criteria have been met.

If they subsequently feel that he or she is a person not fit to hold an FAC or SGC then they will take action to prevent a potential tragedy.  

However, they also have to be very careful that the report is not generated out of spite, ignorance or both.  You would not believe how many are!

With regards arming everybody, well absolutely no way.  You only have to see how many idiots are granted licences to drive motor vehicle, and who blatantly have allowed the most basic of skills to degenerate after they pass their driving test, to counter that argument. 

If you look up shooting fails on You Tube, you will see members of the land of the free  proving they are totally inept when it comes to shooting and the safety parameters that go with it.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

You would not believe how many are!

Actually, I probably would, and accept that this is one of the difficulties of the situation.  Reporting this person as unsuitable was inadvisable, as I'd have ended up homeless as a result.  He eventually went into a meltdown mode, fired one off in his conservatory, and was sectioned by his long suffering wife, and I was able to get better accommodation with a less wobbly landlord shortly after.  I lived next door but one and was woken up by the shot and the breaking glass, but only the conservatory was injured.

I lost contact with him at this point, but would hope that the gun license was not renewed!  Heard some years later that he'd taken his own life but I don't know the method.  But the experience left me with little faith in the 'system', not that I've got a viable or practicable alternative at hand to suggest.  Some people are always going to need firearms to perform their jobs, so an outright ban is impossible.

I absolutely agree that arming everyone would be catastrophic, but I can see the reasoning behind it.  I am not ideologically particularly strongly opposed to governments constantly having to factor the possibility of outright large scale armed insurrection into their decisions!  I am very strongly opposed to it in practical terms however.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

The good people of Wentborough  and Holmfield will be delighted that the consulting engineer of their railway has (almost) completed his last project and work can  resume on the railway. image.jpg.8212070bc67c84f427ca9bbdec97c7a1.jpg

The Midland and Western factions have now all gone to have a stiff drink followed by a lie down to calm their injured sensibilities!

• Agree 3

13 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

The Midland and Western factions have now all gone to have a stiff drink followed by a lie down to calm their injured sensibilities!

Well you did say something to the effect that The Night Mail was a broad church.

• Funny 5

8 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I guess you’d better call Color Sergeant Bourne...

7AD0F296-0947-4FF4-8795-37A11EFFDEB6.jpeg

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Well you did say something to the effect that The Night Mail was a broad church.

A broad church sounds like what we needed for one of our congregation. She was at least two chairs wide.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

A broad church sounds like what we needed for one of our congregation. She was at least two chairs wide.

Jamie

The above reminds me of a grievance that one of my colleagues  had to sort out at work. A certain policewoman who worked in plain clothes insisted on wearing tight jeans. She was rather broad in the beam. She found out that some of her colleagues  referred to her as TC, which of course she took to mean Top Cat.  The manure hit the fan when she found out that it actually meant 'two chairs'.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Edging along, still needs a tender. 

F543FB4F-CE49-4B34-9F36-08F4C56229F1.jpeg

Is it my imagination, or is the LH rear wheel not touching the ground?  Mind you, it could be that the board it's on is less than flat....

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

The above reminds me of a grievance that one of my colleagues  had to sort out at work. A certain policewoman who worked in plain clothes insisted on wearing tight jeans. She was rather broad in the beam. She found out that some of her colleagues  referred to her as TC, which of course she took to mean Top Cat.  The manure hit the fan when she found out that it actually meant 'two chairs'.

Jamie

My son's girlfriend refers to me as TC:  In this particular instance in means 'Train Club'.

I suspect it probably stems from an early visit to the house when the OFMC were in attendance.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

It looks as though the site maintenance went smoothly.  Well done to all concerned.

I spent the latter part of the morning at Attingham Park.  A good walk around the deer park and woods with a short stop for a packed lunch alongside the River Tern.

It started off quite cool, although was warming up when we left.

Yesterday's restoration work was my great Grandfather's Cobbler's Last.

It weighs in at nearly 4 kg and is cast iron.

The restoration consisted of cleaning off years of acculumulated grime and other grot, as well as getting the surface rust off it.  A blow over with some paint finished the job.

It does look a lot tidier now and is allowed into the house.  I suspect it will be used in future as a doorstop or a rather ott paper weight.

image.png.2a9bf95ec13606553f662d1bc92364bc.png

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

7 hours ago, polybear said:

Is it my imagination, or is the LH rear wheel not touching the ground?  Mind you, it could be that the board it's on is less than flat....

The quartering was at the time still slightly out, and yes the cutting mat has warped over time, must get round to buying a new one. But the chassis is perfectly level. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I spent the latter part of the morning at Attingham Park.  A good walk around the deer park and woods with a short stop for a packed lunch alongside the River Tern.

My parents bought my maternal grandparents a Jack Russell on my grandfather's retirement. They promptly headed off on a round-the-world cruise for three months - visiting my aunt in Auckland - leaving us with Toby...

Anyway, later, c. 1971, when visiting us in Shrewsbury, the story went that, on crossing the bridge over the Severn*, my grandfather said "Attingham, Toby" at which the dog went beserk, trying to attack the windscreen.

*At this date, Telford's Holyhead Road, now the B5061, was still the A5.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7