Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium

Thinking about Polybear's fur colour, an uncle of mine had a huge blonde moustache that used to get stained quite easily so the thought arises that in PB's case it could be long term lemon drizzle cake staining?

Dave

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 10

1 minute ago, Dave Hunt said:

Thinking about Polybear's fur colour, an uncle of mine had a huge blonde moustache that used to get stained quite easily so the thought arises that in PB's case it could be long term lemon drizzle cake staining?

Dave

Hmmm interesting Big H but the thought of a bear doing a Frizby Flop into a LARGE vat of lemon drizzle cake is rather disturbing even for one who has seen some disturbing sights in his time.

And on that note I am about to step into the shower to remove some of my staining.

• Like 3
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

PB's Avatar looks remarkably like my childhood teddy that was called Brumas, apparently named after a famous cub at London Zoo.   Perhaps PB is older than we think and, Peter Pan like has never grown up.  He's obviously in search of the lost LDC.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

Polar bears are off-white anyway.

I was going to say, think LNWR carriage "spilt milk" or even GWR carriage cream, but realised (a) polar bears aren't varnished and (b) distracting you from thinking lemon drizzle cake would be too much of an uphill struggle.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 3
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

Something has been bothering me for some time and now I know what it is...

If Polybear's location is the North Pole and his username is pronounced Poly (as in Roly)........

why is his avatar of a brown bear ?

image.png.cb4b8a79404ec80de1842362ccb9d904.png

A well known side effect of LDC addiction.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Airsickness. Depends on how calm the boarding experience was, at least in a public plane. I’ve never had any problems with a private plane.

Private planes are so much better.

I can just imagine Douglas's tribe climbing aboard their Gulfstream G500 for the forthcoming jolly.

I now have to go to Reading, followed by Headcorn on Friday.

No chance of a plane for that one,  which is especially galling as we are staying a mere five minute drive from Headcorn aerodrome.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I now have to go to Reading,

I dare say you've heard the joke about the American visitors at Paddington in the 30s but I'll repeat it anyway. They were very impressed by the service offered by the GWR. Not only were there the usual Dining Cars and Sleeping Cars, but also cars labelled "Reading" and "Bath".

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 18

3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I can just imagine Douglas's tribe climbing aboard their Gulfstream G500 for the forthcoming jolly.

It was a Cessna Citation, at dads old company they had several jets (Cessna is now sold for a G550) and if it had been a good year they would gift the some managements family’s a long weekend with the jet. Quite fun!

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Despite all the travelling I've done since 1966 maybe I've been lucky regarding travel sickness. Prior to boarding the P&O Chitral in August 1966 the only ships I had been on were the paddle steamers on the Woolwich Free Ferry.......

The journey across the Bay of Biscay on the Chitral went smoothly and no problems were encountered until the ship left Colombo and headed for Penang  when I ended up being confined to my cabin for a couple of days living on cheese sandwiches.

Once in Hong Kong I joined the Marine Division of the Hong Kong Auxiliary Police Force where we normally manned the little tugboat-like boats on the harbour. During the Red Guard riots we were mobilised and one weekend we did a 24 hour duty on one of the 70ft launches and encountered some rather rough weather on the way back to base. The boat commander realised that I was not looking happy and told me to take the wheel which certainly kept me busy with no time to honk!!

Once back in the UK in the early 70's I had to spend a week a month in Brussels and rather than fly I would drive up to Harwich and catch the overnight (Dutch) ferry to the Hook of Holland and then drive down to Brussels. On one trip the Dutch boat was being serviced and the (British Rail)  steam-powered  Avalon was substituted which was much more comfortable than the diesel-powered Dutch boats. I had an excellent nights sleep but when I got ready to disembark was told that because of the windy conditions they could not offload the car as the Avalon (at the time) was not a drive-on/drive off boat and it was too windy the crane the car off the boat. 

Bearing in mind the amount of flying I've done after I left Hong Kong I've only honked on board once and that was self-inflicted on a TWA flight from New York to London when I overdid the Harvey Wallbangers and headed for the loo. On leaving the loo one of the flight attendants had a black coffee reading and waiting. Dad was meeting me at Heathrow and asked me if I would like to drive home. I declined...

Over the years I've been through a few turbulent flights including an approach to Anchorage when coming out of the clouds we were heading for a rather large mountain. Engines roared into life and up we went to make another landing attempt.

Keith

Keith

• Like 12

Morning all,

Today is been a very good day. This morning I got my drivers permit, to my joy or terror I don’t know. 

But, it gets better…

I have finally fixed the Mogul! After several more days of careful fettling it has finally returned to full strength. Although the track is on a slide hill so it can’t run for as long as it could on a perfectly level one. It also didn’t hush oil everywhere this time, as I’m finally finding the correct amount of oil to put in the lubricator.

My thanks to all who have helped the project.

Douglas

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 10

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Something has been bothering me for some time and now I know what it is...

If Polybear's location is the North Pole and his username is pronounced Poly (as in Roly)........

why is his avatar of a brown bear ?

image.png.cb4b8a79404ec80de1842362ccb9d904.png

Huh?  :o

A Brown Bear.....

1353272889_IMG_18051.JPG.88840da126b67c2687e52ef086517d6d.JPG

A Polybear......

1047375730_IMG_18031.JPG.a6d4b616886a60a79af2e6f6ad8e1d49.JPG

10 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

Bear's sayin' nuffink.....

:yes:

10 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Hmmm interesting Big H but the thought of a bear doing a Frizby Flop into a LARGE vat of lemon drizzle cake is rather disturbing even for one who has seen some disturbing sights in his time.

Duly added to Bear's Bucket List.....

9 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

PB's Avatar looks remarkably like my childhood teddy that was called Brumas, apparently named after a famous cub at London Zoo.   Perhaps PB is older than we think and, Peter Pan like has never grown up.  He's obviously in search of the lost LDC.

Jamie

A distant relative of Poly's......Pipaluk (the little guy), also at London Zoo:

https://www.zsl.org/blogs/artefact-of-the-month/‘pipaluk-and-sally-at-london-zoo’-postcard

Note the yellow tinge, which is hereditary throughout the family;  Pipaluk is legendary in that he once found a LDC hidden in a blue cheese warehouse.  Bear still has a puzzle featuring the little guy in the loft.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Morning all,

Today is been a very good day. This morning I got my drivers permit, to my joy or terror I don’t know. 

But, it gets better…

I have finally fixed the Mogul! After several more days of careful fettling it has finally returned to full strength. Although the track is on a slide hill so it can’t run for as long as it could on a perfectly level one. It also didn’t hush oil everywhere this time, as I’m finally finding the correct amount of oil to put in the lubricator.

My thanks to all who have helped the project.

Douglas

EVERCLEAR???? That is some really nasty stuff! To those that might not know, it is sold a a beverage:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everclear

190 proof; no wonder that Mogul is happy! :yahoo:

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

EVERCLEAR???? That is some really nasty stuff! To those that might not know, it is sold a a beverage:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everclear

190 proof; no wonder that Mogul is happy! :yahoo:

I also noticed that and did wonder if young Douglas has a serious drink problem, but didn't like to ask....

• Agree 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Couldn't you hitch a ride from a passing Chinook and bale out over Headcorn HH?

Dave

Not owning a parachute system anymore, my bailing at altitude from any airframe would be like dropping a MOAB.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

I also noticed that and did wonder if young Douglas has a serious drink problem, but didn't like to ask....

I am guessing the Mogul is gulping it down; didn't you see the wobble as he moved down the track? :biggrin_mini:

• Funny 9