RMweb

The Night Mail

34 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

....The frequent blood tests do show deviations from “normal” but the consultant said mine are normal for me and prove I am taking the tablets. 

Some of my colleagues have put forward the notion of the "normal abnormal" (or"normally abnormal") . Basically what they mean by that is whilst a finding may be abnormal for a healthy person, it's what you would expect to see in someone with condition "X" (whatever "X" may be).

One therefore can conclude that the urge to paint locomotives Crimson Lake is - for the afflicted individual - "normally abnormal" 🤣

• Like 8
  • Funny 5

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Returning to Polio...

Does anyone else remember seeing these on the High Street in the 1950s/1960s?

896508978_PolioCharity.jpg.0073d24da4466ea0f31c3e1cc775da1f.jpg

I remember them, or similar in the mid 1970s.

Andy

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Basically what they mean by that is whilst a finding may be abnormal for a healthy person, it's what you would expect to see in someone with condition "X" (whatever "X" may be).

When discussing my results once I mentioned to the consultant that originally my dose had been calculated from my body weight but I was now heavier but still on the same dose. He said they no longer used body weight to determine dosage for that particular immunosuppressive drug but various blood tests to measure its effectiveness. Also in the past some patients had reacted very badly to it but there was now a test for a genetic marker that identified for those whom it would be unsuitable. I feel fortunate to be around with so many modern medicines. I probably have the same heart condition as my mother, her siblings and her mother.  I don’t have the problems they did thanks to the stenting and medication. 
Aditi’s Dad started practicing medicine just as antibiotics became available. By the time he stopped working they were becoming less effective. 
Tony

Edited by Tony_S
Words
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

40 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Some of my colleagues have put forward the notion of the "normal abnormal" (or"normally abnormal") . Basically what they mean by that is whilst a finding may be abnormal for a healthy person, it's what you would expect to see in someone with condition "X" (whatever "X" may be).

One therefore can conclude that the urge to paint locomotives Crimson Lake is - for the afflicted individual - "normally abnormal" 🤣

or Brunswick green - abnormally abnormal.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I first went to primary one in 1954. A girl in my class came down with polio. After a long absence she returned wearing a leg brace.

In this digital age people tend to think in terms of absolutes. Vaccines are only any good if there are no risks which is ridiculous. Almost everything we do involves a tradeoff between risk and reward.

I happened to spend a lot of time doing digital engineering. As everyone knows that is really simple because it's just a bunch of ones and zeros. Things are either "off" or "on".

What they don't tell you is that's not really true. There's an ugly condition called "meta-stability" where a signal can be neither up nor down for an indeterminate time. You can reduce the probability of it happening but you can never make it zero. I liked to refer to it as "the Duke of York problem" 😀

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, bbishop said:

or Brunswick green - abnormally abnormal.

Not trying to start a fight here or anything but I do find it odd that they would use something named for a city in Lower Saxony.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, SM42 said:

I was once told that the smallest thing that one should insert into the ear to clean it, was your elbow  

Sound advice in more ways than one.

I remember that from school.  I wonder if the person giving the advice had ever tried it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 4

MrsID was going to bake something today only to discover that the oven control panel on our electric range (cooker) was not displaying anything. The hobs were working but the oven was out of action. Ridiculous! We've only had it for 27 years 😀

We had a rather violent electrical storm yesterday. The mains bounced a couple of times then went out for six hours when high wind folded a tubular steel power pole on the main distribution line. I suspect there was a nasty spike on the mains which banjaxed the power supply in our oven controller.

The controller is quite "old tech". Lots of transistors, diodes, resistors etc which is quite good news because I might be able to find a defective transistor and replace it.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, AndyID said:

MrsID was going to bake something today only to discover that the oven control panel on our electric range (cooker) was not displaying anything. The hobs were working but the oven was out of action. Ridiculous! We've only had it for 27 years 😀

We had a rather violent electrical storm yesterday. The mains bounced a couple of times then went out for six hours when high wind folded a tubular steel power pole on the main distribution line. I suspect there was a nasty spike on the mains which banjaxed the power supply in our oven controller.

The controller is quite "old tech". Lots of transistors, diodes, resistors etc which is quite good news because I might be able to find a defective transistor and replace it.

A cynic might suggeztvthat younareclooking forward to the challenge.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

5 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

A cynic might suggeztvthat younareclooking forward to the challenge.

Jamie

Er well, yes. That and the fact that I'd rather not shell out $700 for a new range when there's not much wrong with this one. I would buy a replacement control panel but it's obsolete and I can't find one, even used.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

18 minutes ago, AndyID said:

I remember a lightning strike on power lines south of Glasgow in the early 1970s where the breakers were slow to open and a spike hit large parts of the city. TVs blew, security alarms went off etc. We had a technician in servicing a piece of equipment the next morning, and he was asked to check another piece of apparatus his company maintained. He found problems on one board, clipped off a couple of transistors, chucked them in the bin and re-installed the board. Apparently those transistors “weren’t really needed”. It made us wonder just how much more of the circuitry “wasn’t really needed”.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

My fridge freezer was similar.

After it failed, the circuit board was changed to no avail. 

"Aha!"said the engineer, "then it must be the second thermostat. "

"You don't really need that," and promptly strapped it out.

I kept the spare circuit board, which came in  handy when I needed a replacement one 10 years later.

Andy

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 2

13 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

I only have the one photo of a prairie in the FoD, in a Ben Ashworth book - unfortunately it isn't clear enough to see what livery it is in, so I got early crest black because I like it......so there. 🤣

4564 was the loco that escaped into the Forest, and although in lined green - they are too nice a loco to quibble over colour.

4564-Gloucester-1964.JPG

Edited by br2975
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

7 hours ago, AndyID said:

Not trying to start a fight here or anything but I do find it odd that they would use something named for a city in Lower Saxony.

Not really. We had Prince Albert and before that the Georges were german.

• Agree 4

Well here I am 

The big day has arrived 

Kick off is at 12

A reasonably carb heavy breakfast has been eaten. 

Start point located.

Equipment prepped 

Just waiting for the go

Somewhere outside a horse laughs 

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

On the subject of putting things in ears. When I was in year 2 at school (nearly 70 years ago) the teacher told us that we should only clean our ears with warm water and we should never use soap. I have followed that advice and have had no ear problems since.

• Informative/Useful 5