The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

On Cats

didcot

• RMweb Gold

Here's a question for all of you who have cats - do any of your cats eat vegetables?

We've discovered that one of ours loves eating cooked courgette (cooled off, of course). He loves eating and we now use this to bulk up his food, as it has next to no calories, thus helping us keep his weight under control. The other one, however, can't stand the stuff...

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Hroth said:

Check your slippers for "contributions" in the morning...

One of my favourite Fat Freddy's Cat cartoons has the cat thinking "just wait til he puts on his stereo headphones" 🤣

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Here's a question for all of you who have cats - do any of your cats eat vegetables?

Kato eats anything that isn't securely padlocked, even sprouts.  His all-time favourite, however, is an unattended packet of bourbon biscuits🙄

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

We've discovered that one of ours loves eating cooked courgette (cooled off, of course). He loves eating and we now use this to bulk up his food, as it has next to no calories, thus helping us keep his weight under control. The other one, however, can't stand the stuff...

We had one that loved Cantaloupe melon, to the extent that if we were eating one, Smudge would sit back on his hind legs sit right up and wave his front paws while meowing to catch our attention that he had not had his portion.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

No, but I'll give it a try!

You may have solved two problems at once: What to do with the annual courgette glut and how to satisfy the cats endless appetite cheaply and healthily.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

A lot of commercial cat food now seems to have vegetables included as if it's a trendy healthy thing although cats are obligate carnivores and need to eat meat to stay healthy and alive. They can't synthasise taurine (an necessary amino acid from animal protein) from veggies although there is generally no harm for them to eat some veggies (but not anything from the allium family)

My cat, Marley, doesn't like the veggies in his food and picks them out, leaving them to one side, particularly peas and green beans, although he will eat a little carrot if it is very small pieces and smothered in gravy. I have to be careful when cat food shopping and check what is in it otherwise some of it is wasted.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

do any of your cats eat vegetables?

Peggy would go mad for mushy peas, no other vegetables that I knew if.  If you had peas, she had peas and would then use her paw to clean out the tin.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Tilly hates vegetables.  She won't even eat them if mixed with fish.  I am careful not to waste my money on cat food adulterated with veg.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

"What are you looking at?"

image.png.b7d2e457ed01d989ef13ca328d5f1d58.png

"You didn't want to use this warm damp compost you just put here, did you?"

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 15
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

I have teeth and claws that I will use to explain why I should not move if you don't understand the look you are getting.

Edited by Chris116
Spelling
  • Like 3
  • Funny 1

On 06/04/2024 at 10:48, Captain Kernow said:

Had a female brown tabby (Ki-ke) that would turn down tuna for peas. In fact pretty much anything would be left if peas were available.  Stunning looking girl but I've always thought since brown tabbies aren't wired up quite right!

(My current brown tabby boy Merlin is just as nuts but slightly more conventional in his food likes)

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 06/04/2024 at 10:48, Captain Kernow said:

Years ago, when I was still a kid, we dumped some leftover stew in the cat's bowl, and later found the meat still there but all the greens gone.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2