KR Models announce the Consett Iron Ore Wagon

KR Models

On 18/12/2020 at 14:32, johndon said:

That’s my website :)

One thing to remember with the loads is that they varied enormously depending on the density and colour of the iron ore that came in to Tyne Dock. Colour could be anywhere from a bright orange to almost black, sometimes the load was clearly visible over the sides of the wagons and other times was below the top of the wagon sides.

John

As not to get bogged down with a varietyty of loads that cost for each set of tools and make the cost prohibitive, then we'll use the general approach of other manufacturers of supplying a load and you can colour differently if you want.  The loads will be removable.  We are in the design stage now.  Photo's to follow.

Edited by KR Models
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

36 minutes ago, KR Models said:

As not to get bogged down with a varietyty of loads that cost for each set of tools and make the cost prohibitive, then we'll use the general approach of other manufacturers of supplying a load and you can colour differently if you want.  The loads will be removable.  We are in the design stage now.  Photo's to follow.

@KR Models It must be asked directly, will the design re-evaluation see something done about the door pockets/internal details? I think the comments posted after the comment by yourselves clearly shows that expectant customers find the choice not to do wagon internal details a let down. I will admit, myself included.

Not to say it is why you did it or point a finger, but that is 1980s Hornby levels of thinking-internal details matter very much in this day and age of modelling, particularly for those modelling an empty run rather than a full run. The wagon has the potential to be a great hit and a real stand out of a much requested specific locale wagon-don't let yourselves down by not bringing it up to the standards that we know can be reached. You only get a chance to make first impressions once.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 20/12/2020 at 11:14, KR Models said:

Maybe you should really take a look at what Accurascale are doing https://accurascale.co.uk/collections/loads

On 20/12/2020 at 04:57, 69843 said:

@KR Models It must be asked directly, will the design re-evaluation see something done about the door pockets/internal details? I think the comments posted after the comment by yourselves clearly shows that expectant customers find the choice not to do wagon internal details a let down. I will admit, myself included.

Not to say it is why you did it or point a finger, but that is 1980s Hornby levels of thinking-internal details matter very much in this day and age of modelling, particularly for those modelling an empty run rather than a full run. The wagon has the potential to be a great hit and a real stand out of a much requested specific locale wagon-don't let yourselves down by not bringing it up to the standards that we know can be reached. You only get a chance to make first impressions once.

Do you have any examples of the internal view of the wagon so that we may correct this oversight?

Just now, KR Models said:

Do you have any examples of the internal view of the wagon so that we may correct this oversight?

I posted an example of a Dave Alexander kit showing the internals a page or so ago.  I'd be happy to have a look thorough the photos I have but, I'll be honest, photos of the interior are pretty hard to come by. 

3 minutes ago, johndon said:

I posted an example of a Dave Alexander kit showing the internals a page or so ago.  I'd be happy to have a look thorough the photos I have but, I'll be honest, photos of the interior are pretty hard to come by. 

Hi John,

Can you email me the reference material of the interior, please? keith@krmodels.co.uk

9 minutes ago, KR Models said:

Hi John,

Can you email me the reference material of the interior, please? keith@krmodels.co.uk

I'm all for manufacturers liaising with modellers in order to correct detail errors, but I think that most of us would expect those same manufacturers to do the majority of the necessary research before going beyond the CAD stage.

KR Models seem to prefer to just do the easy, basic research; post an image of a half-designed EP model; and then wait for the model railway community to finish the research for them. We can only accept the 'We're on a learning curve' excuse for so long; I've a feeling that such goodwill as may previously have existed is going rapidly out of the window!

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I suggest that KR Models buy a Bradwell kit, build it and then consider the shortcomings of what they are considering bringing to market.

Dave Alexander's nearest the camera (unweathered). Dave Bradwell's further away (weathered). 

I think Dave Alexander has too many ribs on the bodyside inner.

DSCN1696a.jpg.077465e2ef6db784e4ecc6429bf5a729.jpg

Dave Bradwell inside. Strange lighting.

DSCN1691a.jpg.0c157cd11b7eb670584e3f06f3b07a5e.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

34 minutes ago, Wheatley said:

Did you really get all the way to tooling without wondering what the inside looked like ?

It seems like an obvious question, so it had to be asked.

I wonder if you'll get a response.

• Like 1

On 20/12/2020 at 12:21, Mark Saunders said:

Take a look at any body that is produced as a one piece mould and all internal rivets, planking and strapping are missing! The closest rtr currently made is the MRS by Dapol!

Are you really saying that all modern one piece wagons are without internal detail?

if so I suggest you looks at the following:

Accurascale HUO

Hornby 21T hopper

Bachmann 16T mineral

Bachmann 7 plank mineral / open

all have rivets, planks and other raised detail as appropriate 

16 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

Are you really saying that all modern one piece wagons are without internal detail?

if so I suggest you looks at the following:

Accurascale HUO

Hornby 21T hopper

Bachmann 16T mineral

Bachmann 7 plank mineral / open

all have rivets, planks and other raised detail as appropriate 

Yes, the floor does but that’s it!

On 20/12/2020 at 12:21, Mark Saunders said:

Take a look at any body that is produced as a one piece mould and all internal rivets, planking and strapping are missing! The closest rtr currently made is the MRS by Dapol!

This is not a wagon that can be produced as a one piece moulded body; the most basic of research would have revealed that.

Anyone who thought that could be done is more than a little naive.

From a modeller's point of view - NOT someone with model design experience - I would be looking at a main moulding comprising ends, floor and chassis, with separate clipped / glued-in moulded side panels with moulded detail on both inner and outer faces. It may well be possible for the side panels to be symetrical, thereby requiring only one tooling.

John Isherwood.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Tbh it shouldnt be that hard to make scratches into a smooth sided tooling interior.

It could be worse, they could have made an inaccurate or fictitious interior... that would be more difficult to rectify. £20 a wagon on this niche level is quite good.

Its good KR Engage, as if they didn't, we wouldn't be having this wagon rtr anytime soon by anyone else.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

If adding the extra detail a few people want put the price up by £5 a wagon, people like me couldn’t afford them. Which in turn would mean fewer sales making the project no longer viable.

As it is, I’m looking forward to getting a rake.