Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

Re-the above?

Any sheep will likely be more costly to acquire and run, than a 'robot mower' sheep?

Although with the future electric power prices, I am not so sure?

Seems, in light of recent events worldwide, that , the  sage economic advice of pre-covid, has now all gone out the window?

What you do is let out your large lawn/meadow/orchard/whatever to a hill farmer to fatten their flock on prior to them being sent to market. The sheep cut the grass and apart from you having to ensure that they are penned in safely, Bob's your uncle!

Allegedly.

Edited by Hroth
More places to park a sheep...
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, alastairq said:

Seems, in light of recent events worldwide, that , the  sage economic advice of pre-covid, has now all gone out the window?

That seems to be such a long time ago that I can not even remember what the then sage advice would have been. It may well have been, to keep a sheep in your garden, as that will ensure that you have a few fulfilling meals before starvation sets in.

4 hours ago, alastairq said:

Try getting that one past your kids?  :)

If they want to name it, suggest "Sunday Roast".

If there's more than one, I've always thought that "Mint Sauce", "Rosemary" or "Thyme" would be good names too...

• Funny 1

Another option must be rabbits, a very good food-crop animal, keep grass very tightly mown, almost to cricket-wicket standard, highly active in self propagation, continual ground fertilisers, dig over the ground thereby aerating and generally improving the soil, pelts make lovely winter-jacket-linings, ideal for annoying the neighbours, don’t get all those horrible foot rot and fly-strike problems that sheep suffer from.

Moles have some of the above qualities, but I can’t find any recipes for mole stew, I think that the yield per unit area is lower, and they are dismally poor when it comes to mowing.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

WW2 was a time for keeping food rabbits in the backyard...I believe?

Then there's roadkill?

Not 100 yards outside my village's boundary, I saw, on Friday, a recently clobbered small deer, laid on the grass verge.   Normally the Council will remove carcasses [they leave small children, however!!  :(   ]..., Obviously nobody local is really that inclined to skin and butcher a small deer....at the moment!

Our local deer population has somewhat burgeoned over the past year or so......apparently.

Food for thought?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Hroth said:

If they want to name it, suggest "Sunday Roast".

If there's more than one, I've always thought that "Mint Sauce", "Rosemary" or "Thyme" would be good names too...

Sheep-worrying

8 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Thankfully no one's posted this one

by the New Zealand philharmonic.

I've got the original release on a 45 of that...  1979. Baaaaaaaa!!!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

7 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Thankfully no one's posted this one

by the New Zealand philharmonic.

Every nation is entitled to a National Anthem, I suppose, and since Wales has ‘Land of my Fathers’, I guess it’s OK if NZ theme theirs around sheep.

17 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Every nation is entitled to a National Anthem, I suppose, and since Wales has ‘Land of my Fathers’, I guess it’s OK if NZ theme theirs around sheep.

I know I should feel dirty doing cheap shots about New Zealand and their love of sheep, but they pay us back using  The Flight Of The Conchords.

• Funny 1

23 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I've got the original release on a 45 of that...  1979. Baaaaaaaa!!!

There's also a 2 part dance version called C'est sheep, I didn't bother posting the link, it's just Baaing to a disco beat.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

After the eponymous TV series was aired 40 years ago, several people wondered if their father/grandfather was Lloyd George, so maybe that should be singular?

41 minutes ago, Regularity said:

maybe that should be singular?

I’ve always wondered about that; surely a person can only have one father.

Presumably encompasses grand, great grand, great great grand, great great great grand ……. (Probably best I stop there).

Was your father/grandfather? Or just knew him?

Edited by rocor
Thought that I would add some question marks, for no particular reason.
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, rocor said:

Was your father/grandfather, or just knew him.

A common phrase was, “Lloyd George knew my father” (or Grandfather, but not both, Stephen).

After the TV show, people were replacing “knew” with “was”…

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Regularity said:

A common phrase was, “Lloyd George knew my father” (or Grandfather, but not both, Stephen).

After the TV show, people were replacing “knew” with “was”…

The original saying, I believe, was a reference to LG's generosity with peerages.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Another option must be rabbits, a very good food-crop animal, keep grass very tightly mown, almost to cricket-wicket standard, highly active in self propagation, continual ground fertilisers, dig over the ground thereby aerating and generally improving the soil, pelts make lovely winter-jacket-linings, ideal for annoying the neighbours, don’t get all those horrible foot rot and fly-strike problems that sheep suffer from.............

It is my understanding that rabbits were introduced to Britain by the Normans for the reasons you mention - As a high protein food crop with very useful skins / fur. There is some suggestion it might have been the Romans, rather than Normans - but more likely that the Romans brought the Hare here.

One local area in Milton Keynes is named "Conniburrow" - as that was an area kept for raising Coneys (Rabbits) for food.

Also a friend's wife used to have a Maltese pen friend - early 1970s, when we were all much younger. When a little bit older, the lady visit the Maltese family and was introduced to the rabbits - and asked to chose which one was to be dinner that evening.

Regarding Moles, I thought they were supposed to be rather earthy eating, but the skins were good for making hard-wearing and warm work trousers.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Metropolitan H said:

Regarding Moles, I thought they were supposed to be rather earthy eating, but the skins were good for making hard-wearing and warm work trousers.

Regards

Chris H

I guess that you wanted to see who would fall into one........

mole-traps-2001688.jpg

• Round of applause 1