Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

• RMweb Premium

I'm going off you lot.  William Buckland, known for eating every animal he could, opined that mole meat tasted vile.  What do you expect from something that eats slugs?  Moleskin trousers aren't (and weren't) made of mole pelts but a heavy cotton fabric.  I doubt the pelts would be hard wearing enough for workmens' trousers, althought they were made into ladies' fur coats.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I’ve got a pair of moleskin trousers, so warm that they only emerge in the coldest of winters.

So far as I know, no moles were harmed in the making of these leg-coverings.

Brook trout taste of silt and worms, so I can well-believe that mole meat would be similar, but tougher, so perhaps we should try squirrel, which might have a nice nutty flavour, like stuffing, but without all the hassle.

Gypsies we’re reputed to eat hedgehogs baked in clay, but there don’t seem many hedgehogs left these days (run over, or deprived of habitat, rather than eaten out of existence, I think).

5 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I’ve got a pair of moleskin trousers, so warm that they only emerge in the coldest of winters.

So far as I know, no moles were harmed in the making of these leg-coverings.

Brook trout taste of silt and worms, so I can well-believe that mole meat would be similar, but tougher, so perhaps we should try squirrel, which might have a nice nutty flavour, like stuffing, but without all the hassle.

Gypsies we’re reputed to eat hedgehogs baked in clay, but there don’t seem many hedgehogs left these days (run over, or deprived of habitat, rather than eaten out of existence, I think).

Urban squirrels are supposed to have a slight nicotine piquancy, due to their eating and becoming addicted to cigarette butts. I am inclined to the belief that this is just another urban myth.    

I know: we should cut out all the middle-creatures and eat slugs and worms and woodlice (which I’m sure I have seen advocated or served as food) and earwigs and that sort of thing.

Bite their ‘eads off,

Suck the juice out,

Throw the skins away,

You will see how well we live,

On worms three times a day!

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

We've got some that visit regularly for a snack, which we have to put under a plastic bucket with a hole in the side to stop the local moggies getting at it.

Screenshot from a trailcam video two nights ago.

image.png.235c18634d84b16a2907099cdf7d752f.png

Jim

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Now how would you know that?

By eating them.

Now you are going to ask how I know the flavour was of silt and worms, aren’t you?

Right, silt first. That’s easy, because I guess we’ve all tasted soil accidentally, and the ones we caught as kids tasted like the local soil.

Worms? Well, maybe it was caddis-fly larvae, or caterpillars that fell from trees, or whatever else they ate, but there was definitely a tang of wriggly things about the flavour, and maybe we decided it was worms because we used to use small worms, or chopped-up bigger ones, as bait.

The “eating fish” we caught were pike, which are really delicious, fine-flakes of creamy-white meat, very delicate flavour.

Mister Crabtree has a lot to answer for, given that one of my bro’s is spending his retirement not just angling, but as a volunteer coach for The Angling Trust, teaching another generation of kids how to persecute fish.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

On 04/06/2022 at 22:39, Hroth said:

If they want to name it, suggest "Sunday Roast".

If there's more than one, I've always thought that "Mint Sauce", "Rosemary" or "Thyme" would be good names too...

Every year for the last ten years, Mrs 32475 and I have reared three or four lambs and since we get them at a day or two old they are bottle fed and so become very tame.

Last year I declared to a three year old granddaughter that the lambs were to be called Craven, Stroudley, Billinton and Marsh. She wouldn't hear of it and declared that they were to be called Moo, Oink, Neigh and Quack. The names stuck.

This year we asked three young grandchildren to name a lamb each so this year our flock are named Tractor, Bug and Fairy.

I've always considered names such as Bhuna, Korma and Pasanda to be eminently suitable but I'm sure I'll be out voted again next year.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

1 hour ago, 32475 said:

I've always considered names such as Bhuna, Korma and Pasanda to be eminently suitable but I'm sure I'll be out voted again next year.

If there's a feisty one you could call it Tandoori!

Jim

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

12 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Und sah's mit kaltem Blute / Wie sich das Fischlein wand.

Diddley Diddly Plink Plink!

1 hour ago, 32475 said:

Every year for the last ten years, Mrs 32475 and I have reared three or four lambs and since we get them at a day or two old they are bottle fed and so become very tame.

Last year I declared to a three year old granddaughter that the lambs were to be called Craven, Stroudley, Billinton and Marsh. She wouldn't hear of it and declared that they were to be called Moo, Oink, Neigh and Quack. The names stuck.

This year we asked three young grandchildren to name a lamb each so this year our flock are named Tractor, Bug and Fairy.

When young, my siblings and I would always call "Mint Sauce!" out of the car window whenever we passed a field of lambs...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, petethemole said:

I'm going off you lot.  William Buckland, known for eating every animal he could, opined that mole meat tasted vile.   

See what you could have said there was that it tasted vole.

Koalas, due to their diet,  taste overpoweringly of eucalyptus, which is handy when you've got a cold.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

See what you could have said there was that it tasted vole.

Koalas, due to their diet,  taste overpoweringly of eucalyptus, which is handy when you've got a cold.

Go suck a koala??

[Gotta be nicer than 'go suck a zube?']

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Oh dear, what a pity, never mind eh? Still, 148 right minded folks is a start.

One has to put it in perspective - remember how many of those 148 must have voted for him in the first place. Were they in their right minds then?

I'm drinking a glass of port on it anyway: "Confusion to the Tories".

Edited by Compound2632
punctuation
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Over five months since Christmas, you’ve still got some port left?

None drunk during Lent. Not much left in the bottle (but enough for when he goes). Father's Day is coming up. That should see me through the autumn.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

That’s an old pic of BJ, from when he was Mayor of London and, despite what his unsveltness might suggest, he then used to cycle from home to his office everyday. Looks like it was when the ‘Boris Bikes’, the hire bikes that he introduced, were still new and trendy.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

12 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

That’s an old pic of BJ, from when he was Mayor of London and, despite what his unsveltness might suggest, he then used to cycle from home to his office everyday. Looks like it was when the ‘Boris Bikes’, the hire bikes that he introduced, were still new and trendy.

And look at his hair!

He's going quite thin up top nowadays...

Never be PM, it does nothing for your looks!

• Agree 1