Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

54 minutes ago, Johnson044 said:

Yay! The censor has kicked in!!!

an artificial covering of hair for the pub ic area

A species of wig?

Anyone going to be doing something interesting this extended Bank Holiday weekend?

7 hours ago, Hroth said:

Anyone going to be doing something interesting this extended Bank Holiday weekend?

Today:

1. Made revision flash cards for Miss T on the Weimar Republic

2. Watched Trooping of the Colour

3. Bit lip when neighbour said "we designed our house to give our kitchen a view [across Edwardian's garden] of the moors, so can you move your shed because it's in the way"

4. Inched forward in organising the house; the landing is now free of boxes. 

5. Long walk with dogs

Tomorrow:

1. Make revision flash cards for Miss T on the rise of the Nazis

2. Do some modelling

3. Find contract killer to take out neighbours.

4. Make vast strides forward in organising the house. 

5. Long walk with dogs

Saturday:

1. See Elder Child

2. Walk dogs

3. See re-enactors in chainmail bash each other with blunt swords at Richmond Castle

4. Food shopping

5. Elder Child to buy his father a pint (he is now 18)

Sunday:

1. Long walk with dogs

2. Jubilee Picnic on Village Green (for the Greater Good).

And you?

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

Today:

- still trying to get out of my head just how weird the film I took the children to yesterday evening was;

- long bike ride round Vale of Aylesbury noticing competitive patriotism between villages (Qauinton a clear winner, with an absolutely enormous Union flag that began life on a ship a century ago);

- arrived back to help put up tents for residents party tomorrow, just when the job had been finished. Got looked at askance;

- called out AA to my car, which was confirmed to have a serious clutch fault, and in need of being transported to expensive repairs.

Tomorrow:

- is another day.

• Friendly/supportive 5

55 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

And you?

Well, today I too moved boxes around in a creative manner, then took magazine boxes off bookshelves that had done a fair imitation of a "Ronan Point" collapse.  I didn't take a photo to illustrate this, so here's what happened to the block of flats, a similar visual impression...

RonanPointCollapsedFloors.jpg.16ffcdd68728397eb58611c452173505.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronan_Point

It was one of those silly bookshelves made from faced chipboard with pathetic pegs to hold the shelving at a selected height.  Once I get some 2" steel corner/angle brackets, I'm going to beef it up a bit, but that won't be until the beginning of next week.

Then I watched Trooping of the Colour.

After that I pottered about, and prepared a fire basket in the back yard to emulate the beacons.  However, it may well rain by time it makes sense to light a beacon, so that may not happen!

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

3. Bit lip when neighbour said "we designed our house to give our kitchen a view [across Edwardian's garden] of the moors, so can you move your shed because it's in the way"

In a satirical spirit, you could always paint the side of your shed facing your neighbours kitchen to represent the moors...

Lord knows how I'll fill in the rest of the Bank Holiday weekend!

(Though I have been invited to a Platinum Party tomorrow afternoon)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

43 minutes ago, Hroth said:

In a satirical spirit, you could always paint the side of your shed facing your neighbours kitchen to represent the moors...

Hah, Miss T offered to do just that!

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

On a lighter darker note, cover side of shed facing neighbours with large flat screen monitors. CCTV cameras on opposite side of shed, looking out across the moors. Feeding to the shed wall-covered with montoris facing neighbours. Then they won't see the shed.

If neighbours upset you, turn off CCTV and ply non-stop facetious adverts on the shed wall instead?

Or, if they're planning to take a trip out over the moors, play the moors scene with a heavy thunderstorm, so they stay at home, or go somewhere else?

The options are endless.....

I started to take the back axle out of the Dellow. Got as far as jacking it up, on the driveway. It's making a noise it wasn't doing last Monday.

Discovered the Mustang had still got a half tank of fuel in it, so that's the transport over to the local farm butchers tomorrow sorted. It also started up quite well, so I have hopes.

Son-&-Heir is coming round tomorrow for his lunch [he's bringing it]...also his mum [My Ex] is coming to give me my half yearly haircut....she's been charging up her ebay clippers all day today, so there's hope the  battery won't go flat before she finishes.

S&H has also invited himself around on Saturday as well...I think he's after a bacon & black pudding lunch again?

I can't see me being able to get on with jobs much if that's the case?

Didn't watch telly [I don't till much after 8 o'clock, anyway.] so didn't watch Troopin' the Colour....

Village is having a 'street' party on Saturday...down a back lane...Don't think I'll be going....somehow..

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

In a satirical spirit, you could always paint the side of your shed facing your neighbours kitchen to represent the moors..

Or even better you could pimp their view by painting  The Grand Canyon, The  Taj Mahal or Uluru (Ayers Rock). 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Here’s something moor-related, which if played across multiple screens, and loudly, should get them out of bed at midnight.

That was popular the year after the Silver Jubilee......

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Hroth said:

That was popular the year after the Silver Jubilee......

I remember that that video clip.  It was on Radio With Pictures back in the days when television was worth watching.  It was strange back then and it's still strange now.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 02/06/2022 at 18:20, Edwardian said:

Today:

1. Made revision flash cards for Miss T on the Weimar Republic

2. Watched Trooping of the Colour

4. Inched forward in organising the house; the landing is now free of boxes. 

5. Long walk with dogs

Tomorrow:

1. Make revision flash cards for Miss T on the rise of the Nazis

2. Do some modelling

3. Find contract killer to take out neighbours.

4. Make vast strides forward in organising the house. 

5. Long walk with dogs

Saturday:

1. See Elder Child

2. Walk dogs

3. See re-enactors in chainmail bash each other with blunt swords at Richmond Castle

4. Food shopping

5. Elder Child to buy his father a pint (he is now 18)

Sunday:

1. Long walk with dogs

2. Jubilee Picnic on Village Green (for the Greater Good).

And you?

Last week I discovered the contractors that my neighbour was employing tearing down my garden fence. When confronted, my neighbour said that she had spoken to me about putting up a new fence. She had, but had not said that it would be mine that was to be renewed. I was placated when I found out that said fence was a better proposition to the one that I had (admittedly a somewhat rough structure).

The fence is now erected, and this morning the neighbour called on me looking for a contribution to the cost of said fence. Neighbour was sent away with a (polite) flea in her ear.

Neighbours! Nuke them.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I’m 99% sure there is a rule of maintenance around fences. The deeds or tenancy agreement show which ones are yours to maintain, but if they’ve always been erected correctly it’s easy to tell, because the “fair” face of a fence for which you are responsible for should face outwards from your land.

I put concrete spur posts in to support ours, well before the posts failed at the foot, because I could see what a hefty job it would be to deal with them if they did rot (4” posts, and big, heavy panels). When the ones belonging to our neighbour at the end of the garden failed, she tried to angle the job and cost my way, but I pointed out all of the foregoing, and she got some burly guys in to sort it all out.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I’m 99% sure there is a rule of maintenance around fences. The deeds or tenancy agreement show which ones are yours to maintain, but if they’ve always been erected correctly it’s easy to tell, because the “fair” face of a fence for which you are responsible for should face outwards from your land.

I put concrete spur posts in to support ours, well before the posts failed at the foot, because I could see what a hefty job it would be to deal with them if they did rot (4” posts, and big, heavy panels). When the ones belonging to our neighbour at the end of the garden failed, she tried to angle the job and cost my way, but I pointed out all of the foregoing, and she got some burly guys in to sort it all out.

There was no dispute as to whose fence it was (mine), the fence was not in a state of disrepair even though erected over thirty years ago when the house was built.  It was just somewhat insubstantial, being about a 1-metre-high wire mesh structure supported by, short concrete post. The neighbour, I believe, wanted something more substantial (6 foot high wooden slatted panels, between concrete post). Well, that is what they have now got, and that is what they have paid for.   

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

The deeds or tenancy agreement show which ones are yours to maintain, but if they’ve always been erected correctly it’s easy to tell, because the “fair” face of a fence for which you are responsible for should face outwards from your land

Had a neighbour to the rear who had a new fence put up, and it was the wrong way round. When the shoddy workmanship he had paid for was revealed a few years later, but well before the anticipated end of life of the panels, and it needed doing properly, he tried to get us to pay half.

I told him to look at the deeds, and it was his fence and the replacement that he had already put up was still the wrong way round.

• Like 2

One of the advantages of living in a holiday hot-spot is that the neighbours rarely stay for more than a week. That can also be one of the disadvantages ...

Our garden fences are brick and flints and about 8 feet tall. Still have to consult the deeds to find out who is responsible for maintaining them though.

Apart from one (permanent) neighbour who regularly goes over the top, this village is remarkably free of bunting and stuff. The deli has a couple of large union flags outside but that's excusable as she's family.

Richard

On 02/06/2022 at 10:22, Hroth said:

A species of wig?

Anyone remember that weird Tony Newley film about Heironymous Merkin and his lady, Mercy Humpe? Or am I the only one to have seen it?

Richard

On the subject of fences....It's one of the advantages of being a tenant [renting] that the issue of who pays for what lies entirely between my landlord, and my next door neighbour [the bunnyboiler]!

The other side borders a ten-foot, so has a wood fence some many-feet high all the way up, front to back. Maintenance [creosote, or equivalent] has to be done, but I don't pay for it.

The front garden fence isn't full length...the difference being made up with a ten foot tall thick hedge [house end]. But a year or so ago the lower wood fence down to the road was in a dilapidated state....

This didn't matter very much as both side's gardens were shrubbed so only next door's cats, jumping onto the top, noticed the degree of wobble.

At the time, next door's hubby was a tree surgeon, with all the gubbins. [She chucked him out soon afterwards, poor lad...or , maybe he had a lucky break?}

One of the 'perks' was that he found himself with a 'surplus ' of a few concrete slotted posts, left over from a job where the customer changed their mind. These were already bought & paid for, in the estimate, so were 'gash', so to speak.

Plus, I had helped him out wth transport for his business when he had land rover reliability issues, and a lot of work on.  So we were, and still are, good mates.

Anyhow, he offered to replace the wooden fence with a pukkah job using the well-founded, good quality concrete posts...he would do the work, provided my Landlord could supply the fence panels.

A quick text later, and LL turned up with some panels he had stored in his barn [he is like that, collects all sorts, ''just in case''] Old fence out, cats mystified for a day or so, then new fence in..the panels just slotted in [with 'wedges' to hold in situ]...and could be replaced very easily as & when they fell apart...as wood panels tend to do after a while. The posts are permanent...

Job done, no expense to myself, my landlord, or neighbours.

Then a year later [after the 'big split'....] bunnyboiler decided she wanted to paint her side of the fence, cream.

First I knew about it was when I noticed the large runs of cream paint that had crept between the slats of wood on the fence, down my side!

Not that I cared over much [I'm like that, I struggle to be house-proud any more]...but I mentioned it to her, she hadn't realised.....and offered to come over and paint my side the same colour....I declined....

Can't really see much of the fence from my side, owing to the conifers and shrubs that hide it. 

Perfect for cats to go sneaking through, however...

The back garden has a low wood fence with a hedge on 'her' side, around ten or twelve foot tall. I clip my side of the hedge, and the top as far as my aching arms can reach with the 35 year old B&D electric hedge trimmers I have....when stood on various unstable standy-on things...

Aforementioned tree surgeon mate has some of those long reach trimmers, so he comes in & does ten minutes trimming for a cuppa tea...But even he cannot reach over the top to the far side.......which has never been 'trimmed'...by bunnyboiler! Despite what she claims to 'have in hand!'  It really is her hedge! Her sheep deal with the lower parts, but it's really too tall for them!

The downside of having back-garden sheep to keep the grass tidy is, the amount of sheep sh#t they leave behind.

Edited by alastairq
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, alastairq said:

The downside of having back-garden sheep to keep the grass tidy is, the amount of sheep sh#t they leave behind.

That used to be considered the upside back in the day of 'fold-coursing'. The sheep would consume the leftovers of the harvest and manure the land as they went. That's in addition to the usual sheeply things like providing wool and mutton...

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Is there a breed of miniature sheep, sort of miniature poodle sized, suitable for use in small suburban garden?

Probably?

Next door's back-garden sheep are Cameroonian sheep...They don't have 'wool' fleeces, but have hair coats,so don't require shearing..they have fleeces which shed once a year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cameroon_sheep

These sheep tend not to be keen on jumping fences, etc...preferring to stand on their hind legs and eat anything that grows, within reach.....

All of which makes them ideal as lawnmowers in the larger domestic garden, without risk of getting out & running amok within the community. Woe betide any larger shrubs, etc that the next door neighbours happen to be growing near the boundary fence, though.

{The lambs in the field opposite my 'umble abode, have discovered they can get their heads and necks through the holes in the 'sheep-wire' fence surrounding the bungalow opposite....and reach all the plants in the beds down that side....]

Are these sheep too big?

https://www.wynnes.co.uk/product/ouessant-sheep-available-now/#:~:text=Claimed to be the World's,British breed%2C the primitive Soay.

These look to require a larger element of annual 'care'....How are you with shearing??

Edited by alastairq
not sure really
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1