The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Are You Expecting Any Models?

The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold

Trinity House vessel 'Patricia' is out again today searching for containers reported t be adrift in the area.  An Warning to Ships on 20 October reported 8 containers adrift off the north coast of Cornwall although that Warning was later cancelled.  However THV Partricia was in the area searching for adrift containers yesterday morning and is back there again today so maybe someone else has seen and reported them.  There's no indication of where they might have come from but when we were on the ship back in 2012  she searched for, and found, an adrift shipping buoy in the same area and it had come from Canada.   So the boxes might not even have been destined for a UK port - breathe a sigh of relief if you really are expecting a shipment from China ;)

1284799910_Adriftcontainers.jpg.aeda7162e9fc0f4a9ed5463dcb2ea8c4.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Trinity House vessel 'Patricia' is out again today searching for containers reported t be adrift in the area.  An Warning to Ships on 20 October reported 8 containers adrift off the north coast of Cornwall although that Warning was later cancelled.  However THV Partricia was in the area searching for adrift containers yesterday morning and is back there again today so maybe someone else has seen and reported them.  There's no indication of where they might have come from but when we were on the ship back in 2012  she searched for, and found, an adrift shipping buoy in the same area and it had come from Canada.   So the boxes might not even have been destined for a UK port - breathe a sigh of relief if you really are expecting a shipment from China ;)

1284799910_Adriftcontainers.jpg.aeda7162e9fc0f4a9ed5463dcb2ea8c4.jpg

What do they do if they find them? I would think it difficult to recover them. Perhaps send the Navy in for some gunnery practice? 

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

What do they do if they find them? I would think it difficult to recover them. Perhaps send the Navy in for some gunnery practice? 

That's an interesting question.  It would be very difficult, if not dangerous, for Patricia to try to lift them because apart from not having the proper gear to hook on to a container they won't know how heavy it is.  Lifting the Canadian buoy had a touch of that because although it could be hooked on in the normal way there was a big question mark about how much chain it might have attached plus the weight of the buoy itself although it worked out as not causing any serious problems despite the sea state and wind being pretty near the limit for such a lift.

It might be possible to get a tow onto a container but it would not be a very safe process of hooking on and a big risk when towing because again the weight, and more importantly the buoyancy, of the container won't be a known quantity.    The containers weren't shown as containing dangerous goods so sinking them might be the safest option?

This was the buoy (here being unloaded at Swansea) but it only weighed about 8-12 tons and as you can see it was straightforward for the ship to lift (it had the same arrangement of lifting eyes as a British shipping buoy) 

1683002334_IMGP0023copy.jpg.a5c107f6e186ff57e4ed121042aef18c.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

50 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Oh dear.

Hope its not the L&MR, Open Third Class Carriages.

However, Hornby stuff tends to be landed at Felixtowe, I think...

Is it? Felixstowe Docks are very busy these days, five container ships in port at present. There are usually several more container ships at the Harwich Anchorage (six at at the moment). Presumably Christmas is being delivered from China.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Oh dear.

Doesn't matter where the boxes are normally landed because these could have come off a ship bound for any port in northern Europe, including Southampton, the Thames ports, or Felixstowe or even Liverpool.   And allowing for ocean currents they might even have come off a vessel bound for the US east coast.

That Canadian buoy I illustrated above was calculated by one of the ship's officers to have crossed the Atlantic in no more than 28 days (and probably less than that).  However it was obviously far less likely to sink than a container:)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Doesn't matter where the boxes are normally landed because these could have come off a ship bound for any port in northern Europe, including Southampton, the Thames ports, or Felixstowe or even Liverpool.  

True, I keep forgetting that anything heading for "north European" ports has to come up the English Channel, and rough weather in the mouth of the Bay of Biscay could dislodge any number of containers and waft them up St Georges Channel.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Oh dear.

Hi Hroth,

I doubt that would be the reaction of anyone on small fishing vessel or similar should they be unfortunate to be in collision with a semi submerged container.

Gibbo.

• Agree 6

4 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

I doubt that would be the reaction of anyone on small fishing vessel or similar should they be unfortunate to be in collision with a semi submerged container.

I completely agree with you, poorly secured containers are a very real maritime menace.

• Agree 6

We lost friends crossing the North Sea in a yacht which hit a container at night.  Only the person on deck survived, & he nearly didn't. as his life line dragged him down until he could cut it.  Hope this won't end the jokes & amusing stories though.

• Friendly/supportive 16

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Hornby stuff tends to be landed at Felixtowe, I think.

I've seen many outer boxes marked up as Thamesport. This would make sense for proximity to Hersden/Margate but I don't know if there are any direct ships from China so there could be a change of vessel en route. Mind you, what the container's destination says is more relevant than what's printed on a box inside it.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, AY Mod said:

I've seen many outer boxes marked up as Thamesport. This would make sense for proximity to Hersden/Margate but I don't know if there are any direct ships from China so there could be a change of vessel en route. Mind you, what the container's destination says is more relevant than what's printed on a box inside it.

Most of the container ships bound into Felixstowe or London Gateway (Tilbury) usually arrive from Rotterdam or other European ports. I suppose that they are offloading and picking up as they go.

We used to see Evergreen ships when we cruised into the Medway, but they are now also using Felixstowe while Maersk have also moved some of their shipments to Tilbury. I don't know what decides which ports goods are imported through. Peugeot, for whom I worked before I retired used Harwich and Sheerness  as their UK import/export ports, when production was at Coventry and the distribution center was at Corby. Latterly they have been using Hull but I believe are moving the import centre to Avonmouth. It's probably simply down to the best deal rather than simply the most logical place to import/distribute.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, AY Mod said:

I'm not sure anyone's still using Thamesport . Wikipedia reports that the stack area appears to be being dismantled and it's some years since I've heard of any service on any trade serving there. I think London Gateway has more or less knocked it on the head

The successors to the Grand Alliance US services that used it are certainly calling at other ports - Southampton and Gateway I think

Tilbury and Gateway are separate ports , about 10 miles apart (though if it was the Netherlands they'd be branded as terminals of the Port of London - Rotterdam Delta is about 10 minutes flying time away from Rotterdam the city)

Edited by Ravenser
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ravenser said:

I'm not sure anyone's still using Thamesport . Wikipedia reports that the stack area appears to be being dismantled and it's some years since I've heard on any service on any trade serving there. I think London Gateway has more or less knocked it on the head

Might be making space for the impending, "possible" increase in requirement for Customs checks on items from our friendly neighbours, in the rather near future.

Julian

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Ravenser said:

I'm not sure anyone's still using Thamesport . Wikipedia reports that the stack area appears to be being dismantled and it's some years since I've heard of any service on any trade serving there. I think London Gateway has more or less knocked it on the head

The successors to the Grand Alliance US services that used it are certainly calling at other ports - Southampton and Gateway I think

Tilbury and Gateway are separate ports , about 10 miles apart (though if it was the Netherlands they'd be branded as terminals of the Port of London - Rotterdam Delta is about 10 minutes flying time away from Rotterdam the city)

Thamesport appears to be operational judging by their website and there is currently one small container ship there which works a regular short sea route to there from Moerdijk (in Holland and lying roughly between Rotterdam and Antwerp).  The ship's owning company offers whole container and groupage services for traffic on its various routes and has at least five vessels -  all appear to be for container traffic - which sail between Moerdijk and various UK and German ports.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1