Hornby Christmas Launch

robf

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

Yes. Sadly for those egos are so inflated they fail to read posts before replying, they might have noticed this - 

You see, what just happened is that I apologised to you for any offence caused by a misunderstanding of my intended tone.

I assumed that anyone with a sense of proportion about the importance of toy trains would have recognised when an olive branch was being proffered, but apparently not.

Bye.

Edited by RichardT
To avoid me getting moderated.
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I like it, though as with most people already here that aren't starting from scratch it's not a purchase for me. As a kid I didn't get beyond track pinned to wood on a board which spent much of it's time stored vertically behind the bedroom door, so limiting what could be done. Hopefully the buildings and scenery will be a good taster to entice people into taking the next steps. In personal experience, with the layout I'm working on with my son I'm finding as I plan or pick up something to add it has a knock on effect of inspiring other ideas or things to try, which keeps it relevant and us going back to it, if a little expensive month to month ^_^. Maybe this hamper will give people dipping their feet into the hobby that bit extra push over the standard Flying Scotsman etc sets with just the loop of track which many seem to end up not hooking people in judging by ebay listings.

On the view of the stock included, it would have been nice for the carriages and loco to be of the same region, also are those wagons of a time before the BR logo? On steam vs diesel inclusion, again from personal experience, my 6 year old will happily sit at the local station for half an hour watching in all weathers, though we are limited in variety (fortunate to still have HSTs on our line however). He's not too bothered about a trip on a modern train and will usually sit colouring rather than being interested in the trip, his favourite thing to do is stick his head out of the window on a heritage line so in the 1:1 world he prefers steam. In layout terms we have a bit of everything and train of choice varies from week to week, though I think steam slightly wins out. For anything new, in a model shop he just wants everything which isn't helpful on narrowing down what to look at in terms of any new stock purchases and what age to build the layout to. I don't think they'd include a 'big J15' in some boxes and a 'little Peckett' in others without someone taking issue on the perceived value, as I'm fairly sure the J15 is regularly the cheaper option in various sales.

My first train set was a Triang , had a red clockwork loco that didn’t really resemble anything , three wagons and a circle of track . I remember setting up around the Christmas tree, made a little tunnel out of boxes and I loved it . I would just sit there for hours just watching go around and then putting the key in rewinding it and off we’d go again 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Great Eastern Lady said:

My first train set was a Triang , had a red clockwork loco that didn’t really resemble anything , three wagons and a circle of track . I remember setting up around the Christmas tree, made a little tunnel out of boxes and I loved it . I would just sit there for hours just watching go around and then putting the key in rewinding it and off we’d go again 

I think the same clockwork train set was used at an event at my primary school.  The board was divided into segments - some with prizes - that you won if the loco stopped there once the clockwork ran out.

Almost 50 years ago...

Cheers

Darius

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I do think its a missed trick from Hornby not to have an alternative set that includes a Diesel (presumably a 66 or 67) with some modern wagons and some coaches (charter livery?).

Would it have sold as much as a Steam set? Maybe not. But I think they would have made more sales overall.

• RMweb Gold

You’ve got to feel sorry for the modelshops with this attractive pack that would look great in a shop window being followed so closely by lockdown. Nothing they could do to predict that but as many make a large percentage of the years takings in these next two months it’s a loss of passing trade on top of the rest. 
Nice idea and packaging so I hope it’s something they repeat in future when it’ll look great in shop windows. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

You’ve got to feel sorry for the modelshops with this attractive pack that would look great in a shop window being followed so closely by lockdown. Nothing they could do to predict that but as many make a large percentage of the years takings in these next two months it’s a loss of passing trade on top of the rest. 
Nice idea and packaging so I hope it’s something they repeat in future when it’ll look great in shop windows. 

Bit of a double-edged sword tho'.  

A model shop can still put the pack in their window and they can still sell it during lockdown as there is nothing at all to prevent them delivering or sending  it to the purchaser and I think 'click and collect' (or 'phone to place your order and collect) is also permitted.    But it's the same for Hornby as there is nothing to prevent them selling it online for delivery during the lockdown.   The only thing which is lost - and that is serious for retailers - is the spur of the moment type of sale to passers by (unless the passer by happens to have a mobile 'phone to let them place an order).

clicky.jpg.d1374523e959d67c9fe1bf7b2326d1a2.jpg

1 hour ago, JohnR said:

I do think its a missed trick from Hornby not to have an alternative set that includes a Diesel (presumably a 66 or 67) with some modern wagons and some coaches (charter livery?).

Would it have sold as much as a Steam set? Maybe not. But I think they would have made more sales overall.

If you put a diesel in for this market probably needs something easy to put on the rails i.e. an 0-4-0 or a 0-6-0.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Bit of a double-edged sword tho'.  

A model shop can still put the pack in their window and they can still sell it during lockdown as there is nothing at all to prevent them delivering or sending  it to the purchaser and I think 'click and collect' (or 'phone to place your order and collect) is also permitted.    But it's the same for Hornby as there is nothing to prevent them selling it online for delivery during the lockdown.   The only thing which is lost - and that is serious for retailers - is the spur of the moment type of sale to passers by (unless the passer by happens to have a mobile 'phone to let them place an order).

clicky.jpg.d1374523e959d67c9fe1bf7b2326d1a2.jpg

Yes but I was thinking of the passing impulse buyer that will probably now end up tapping it in and getting the Hornby site rather than their local shop ;) It’s unfortunate timing for everyone. 

• Agree 1

• Administrators
6 hours ago, JohnR said:

But then retailers would have to take a guess as how many steam or diesel sets to stock and risk being left with some from the unpopular choice.

The other thought is that the size of the loco box matters. You'll notice that there is no inner tray in the big box so the overall volume of smaller boxes inside need to be as close to the volume of the box to minimise packing. A shorter diesel might see the contents rattling around a bit more.

Realistically though, this looks like a toe in the water. Assuming the concept works, I wouldn't be surprised to see the range expanded in future years with a few more options.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Can the title of this thread be amended please, because whenever I skim the postings list to see whether anything catches my eye, I think that Hornby are going to hold a huge feast of turkey and plum pudding for us all.

I thought it was just me lol :D

• Agree 4

2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Can the title of this thread be amended please, because whenever I skim the postings list to see whether anything catches my eye, I think that Hornby are going to hold a huge feast of turkey and plum pudding for us all.

Me too! Every time!

For "Hornby Christmas Lunch", try this:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurants-g503947-Hornby_Lancashire_England.html

Or this

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/author/janehornby

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CUCKOO LINE said:

If you put a diesel in for this market probably needs something easy to put on the rails i.e. an 0-4-0 or a 0-6-0.

The Coca Cola one would be good for a youngster. Even though it says "For Adult Collectors" on the box... :scratchhead:

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/65430/R1233-WSL-Hornby-Coca-Cola-Christmas-Train-Set

If you want a "better" model try this. I know it's not Hornby.

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/54497/30-130-Bachmann-Military-Manoeuvres-Train-Set

I would have been happy to receive either of those when I was a youngster. I wouldn't turn them down now to be honest! :laugh:

• Like 1