Planet Industrials - Kerr Stuart Victory RTR in OO...

James Hilton

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Craigw said:

How far off is the completion of the shipping of the sound locos?

I just logged onto the Light Railway Stores site and my order is listed as unfulfilled

Hi Craig,

You have the double combo of Australia + multiple locos so yours will be among the last to go I'm afraid, but should be en route by early next week at the latest.

• Thanks 2

I think that I can allow myself to get a little excited now. Notification of dispatch this morning by Royal Mail Special Delivery no less. They should arrive in the morning before I set off to be mauled by dentist and hygeneist. It should take a little of the pain away. Being a born worrier, I’m now hoping that they have remembered to add the painted crews. 😔

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

They arrived on Friday morning and have been put through their paces. Not only are these locos good as a first RTR effort, they surpass the products of more established firms. Slow control is superb (they are geared as shunters) and the sound project is excellent. It seems that the drivers of both are called Charlie – scope for confusion there. 😀 The finish on the maroon version hasn’t as much sheen as Rapido’s Beatrice but there is nothing wrong with either finish. The lining is very crisp. A nice touch was fitting the brass builder’s plates. They are so small, I’m sure I would have made a mess of them. I also got PI to fit crews and I’m glad I did. They’re nicely done.

I think I’m rather enchanted by them. 😍

12 IW&D.jpg

3068 Maroon Victory.jpg

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

39 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

I presume that's just a standard model lettered to suit ........ doesn't look to have the tall cab ! ☹️

Yes, Pi sell the lettering. TBH I'm not bothered by the "tall cab". Considering all the EKR wagons I have are Dapol standards in various coal mine liveries barely representing their prototypes, this is as ok for me as I have no serious intention to do a EKR layout.

Instead these will eventually run on a Sheffield Park layout alongside EKR 5 (Adams radial which exists on the Bluebell but never in EKR colours), a sort of fictional preservation might have been... (Both locos are DCC sound fitted).

EKR3.jpg

EKR4.jpg

EKR5.jpg

EKR6.jpg

EKR7.jpg

EKR8.jpg

EKR9.jpg

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

As a hint to any manufacturer who's listening, you need a selection of SER/SECR O & O1 locos to go with those two !

I looked at those. The EKR O class had high pitched domeless Wainwright boilers, pitched higher than the O1 so instantly would require 2 different chassis. 2 completely different sets of toolings.

EKR 6 became a hybrid, with old cab and O1 boiler around 1936.

No 8 never changed

No 100 (later 2) is a true O1 in 1935.

Then a southern 1371 in the 1940s which remained in SR colours 

The last 2 would be best choices even if they cover the later end of the EKR.

TBH, I initially intended to run EKR 5 with late SECR stock but the loco appeared on the EKR a good while after grouping.

I still have to pinch myself that we did this, a dream realised and not only that, one that has been such a rewarding journey with generally overwhelmingly positive feedback on the model and how we approached and communicated the whole project.

Whilst you’re all no doubt wondering what we’re doing next I’m afraid you’ll have to wait a little longer.

‘Victory’ continues to sell well and we’ve not forgotten where we came from, a few modification kits for the model are due soon, along with more of our infamous cab conversions and kits in the wider range.

Thanks to everyone who has bought one (double thanks to anyone who has bought more than one). Please tell all your friends and spread the word as we feel that Planet Industrials could do with becoming more widely known ahead of the next project. 

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5

11 hours ago, James Hilton said:

I still have to pinch myself that we did this, a dream realised and not only that, one that has been such a rewarding journey with generally overwhelmingly positive feedback on the model and how we approached and communicated the whole project.

Whilst you’re all no doubt wondering what we’re doing next I’m afraid you’ll have to wait a little longer.

‘Victory’ continues to sell well and we’ve not forgotten where we came from, a few modification kits for the model are due soon, along with more of our infamous cab conversions and kits in the wider range.

Thanks to everyone who has bought one (double thanks to anyone who has bought more than one). Please tell all your friends and spread the word as we feel that Planet Industrials could do with becoming more widely known ahead of the next project. 

It's a very impressive model that's for sure! Very popular to run on the club layout, which tends to make larger locos struggle with 3 MK1s, so it's definitely a recipe that will be good to see more of going forward.

It will certainly be good to see your next project, however I am going to ask if you will be considering working with a wider range of retailers in future?

• Round of applause 1

13 hours ago, James Hilton said:

Is that a hint there's another loco in the pipeline ?

A crane tank perhaps... pretty please.  😀

• Like 1

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Is that a hint there's another loco in the pipeline ?

A crane tank perhaps... pretty please.  😀

The PI site covers loco, wagon and kits thus meeting the plural.

14 hours ago, James Hilton said:

Well, I hope you remembered my suggestions as per my post back in January 2022?!!

14 hours ago, James Hilton said:

Thanks to everyone who has bought one (double thanks to anyone who has bought more than one).

And quadruple thanks to anyone who bought four?!! 😉 

Some might say I am daft, but I do now have four beautiful Victory locos in my collection - and that will become five if/when Planet Industrials release one in PLA lined blue!!

Steve S

Edited by SteveyDee68
Forgot to add page link!

1 hour ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Well, I hope you remembered my suggestions as per my post back in January 2022?!!

I can’t disagree with that.

33 minutes ago, James Hilton said:

Quadruple thanks, indeed - I’m afraid you don’t hold the record though!

There is that rather tempting Rails exclusive as a fifth. To go with it (throwing down the gauntlet) what about a USATC S160 Class? 😃

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

16 hours ago, James Hilton said:

... a few modification kits for the model are due soon, along with more of our infamous cab conversions ...

I hope that "modification kits for the model" and "infamous cab conversions" are not mutually exclusive ...... I'm still hoping to raise the roof on my EKR No.4 ! 😉

• Like 2

Now tested under DCC and DCC sound. What a delight. It never cut out once.

As I run it from the PC, braking can be bit of an issue. I first tried a one second burst and it barely slowed, then used latch on/off and it stopped too sharply, eventually settled on 3 second bursts.

The slow speed control is un believable. And with the voice overs, it needs a crew.

The middle axle is sprung so copes with everything my layout throws at it.

Sound never cut out no matter how slow it was going and I believe there is no stay alive on board so... goes to show.

My favorite industrial loco....

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, No Decorum said:

There is that rather tempting Rails exclusive as a fifth.

Purely personal, but my reaction to that livery was on a par with Andy from Little Britain … “I don’t like it!”

2 hours ago, James Hilton said:

Quadruple thanks, indeed - I’m afraid you don’t hold the record though!

Oooh! Intriguing!! I wonder … 🤔

58 minutes ago, Obsidian Quarry said:

10 of the class built, sounds like a good excuse to own a model of each one 😉

Did someone do just that, can you say,@James Hilton?

18 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Now tested under DCC and DCC sound. What a delight. It never cut out once.

As I run it from the PC, braking can be bit of an issue. I first tried a one second burst and it barely slowed, then used latch on/off and it stopped too sharply, eventually settled on 3 second bursts.

The slow speed control is un believable. And with the voice overs, it needs a crew.

The middle axle is sprung so copes with everything my layout throws at it.

Sound never cut out no matter how slow it was going and I believe there is no stay alive on board so... goes to show.

My favorite industrial loco....

Hi,

Do you mean you operate manually but via a PC based cab?

Or via PC automation software?

The manual brake feature is set up for manual operation by default. As it's a progressive force, the way the control key is operated has a profound effect on the braking 'force' applied.

The optimal way to operate is with momentary action on the brake key (F2) when an infinite variation on brake force can be produced by judicial use of the key.

If using automation software, you may prefer to turn this feature off and use the auto program to set deceleration rates and braking distances.

Note. The brake force is also automatically increased when in light engine mode, (F17), so a fixed duration will result in more rapid deceleration. Which is what you should expect given the reduced rolling mass.

Paul 

• Round of applause 1

24 minutes ago, pauliebanger said:

Hi,

Do you mean you operate manually but via a PC based cab?

Or via PC automation software?

The manual brake feature is set up for manual operation by default. As it's a progressive force, the way the control key is operated has a profound effect on the braking 'force' applied.

The optimal way to operate is with momentary action on the brake key (F2) when an infinite variation on brake force can be produced by judicial use of the key.

If using automation software, you may prefer to turn this feature off and use the auto program to set deceleration rates and braking distances.

Note. The brake force is also automatically increased when in light engine mode, (F17), so a fixed duration will result in more rapid deceleration. Which is what you should expect given the reduced rolling mass.

Paul 

Hi Paul, It's automation software. Do you know how to turn it off please?

Rgds John

5 hours ago, JSpencer said:

Hi Paul, It's automation software. Do you know how to turn it off please?

Rgds John

I should do. Lol

CV 309 sets the operating key (default value 2) If the value is zero, the feature is not enabled.

CV 349 sets the brake force, but if not enabled this value has no effect so can be left as is. 

This is also related to the value in CV 4 (momentum), which you will probably prefer to reduce to a much lower value and use your automation software control deceleration.

Good luck,

Paul.

Edited by pauliebanger

Just now, pauliebanger said:

I should do. Lol

CV 309 sets the operating key (default value 2) 

CV 349 sets the brake force.

This is also related to the value in CV 4 (momentum), which you will probably prefer to reduce to a much lower value and use your automation software control deceleration.

Good luck,

Paul.

Thank you very much Paul.