Planet Industrials - Kerr Stuart Victory RTR in OO...

James Hilton

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

As discussed umpteen pages ago, it won't be simple matching balance the weights to Gibson wheels as the weights are integral to the Kerr Stuart wheels and take the place of some of the spokes  -  consequently, the other spokes are oddly spaced.

Indeed, but it's the best possible compromise for P4...

23 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Just a quick couple of questions, if I may.

I have to remove the wheels and motion from one of my Kerr Stuarts, in order to convert it to P4. I have some Gibson wheels and 3mm axles ready.

Does the brake gear come away easily, please, in order to remove the keeper plate?

Also, does anyone know if anyone produces the distinctive balance weights, please?

Thanks.

Can you not fill between the spokes as desired?

I filled between the spokes to make the balance weights on this Peckett.

DSCF9750.JPG.c166527ecb3170a89751e674e0040e31.JPG

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 09/12/2023 at 14:18, SteveyDee68 said:

Ain’t so secret - and they want it passing on to anyone who might just fancy a Victory for themselves but didn’t know about them!

Me? I’m resisting the urge* for just one more Victory but who knows what might happen if I’ve had a few Baileys on New Year’s Eve?!

Steve S

* Especially as I have pre-orders due to arrive Jan 24!!

So, there's a code to get a bit of a discount, even after the sale has ended? Mine arrived the other day, and a very lovely thing it is too.

I, err.. I mean my friend would like another, err... I mean their first, but is struggling to get the purchase approved by the distaff side of the finance committee. Any help that @cornelius can offer would be much appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

34 minutes ago, Karl said:

No fancy editing on this but like others I succumbed to the offer and bought another, no dressed with bespoke transfers from Railtec.

Away to be weathered for appearing on the colliery!

20231221_161224.jpg

That's a very nice bit of work. Useful to see one with the extra steps in place and the sandboxes fitted.

I wasn't sure about putting them on mine (still just the one - negotiations are continuing re ordering a second) but having seen yours, I think it looks more "balanced" with those additions.

Edited by BroadLeaves
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Karl said:

No fancy editing on this but like others I succumbed to the offer and bought another, no dressed with bespoke transfers from Railtec.

Away to be weathered for appearing on the colliery!

20231221_161224.jpg

Cousins.  Mine's bigger though!

20231220_144921.jpg.9bde5146e8b3066de1eb4b1fbe422bf6.jpg

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

18 hours ago, BroadLeaves said:

That's a very nice bit of work. Useful to see one with the extra steps in place and the sandboxes fitted.

I wasn't sure about putting them on mine (still just the one - negotiations are continuing re ordering a second) but having seen yours, I think it looks more "balanced" with those additions.

Thanks very much. This is my third Victory, already have the maroon one as "Francis" as it ran at Astley Green Colliery which you can almost see from the house and the grey one. I added the sandboxes, steps and one toolbox to this just so it was different as I haven't fitted them to the others. They are terrific little models, hopefully another engine is to follow in the not too distant future.

16 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Cousins.  Mine's bigger though!

20231220_144921.jpg.9bde5146e8b3066de1eb4b1fbe422bf6.jpg

That is a lovely weathering job! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Very glad to see a piece for the EM Digest inside the latest EMGS newsletter, showing how to convert one of these to EM. Looks pretty straightforward and I am planning on using the same techniques to convert one to P4.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/12/2023 at 14:54, James Hilton said:

Thanks Simon, you are the first to notice! It appears we’ve managed to produce an etch with two left sides. It will be resolved with the utmost haste, etches won’t be back until the new year now though. Anyone who has purchased a set will receive a replacement free of charge, we’ll email you all today.

Received replacements today! Many thanks for that guys! :)

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Bought a green one before Christmas..works well,  looks n8c3.. hut clean..

Last weekend did a weathering demo and..

1706627135105.jpg.ec1bff76b8119abde63ad889902328f4.jpg

Apologies for the angle of the shot.. my camera is in need of some TLC.

Baz

Edited by Barry O
Spullung
  • Like 10

Having received my replacement etched sides today in Australia, thanks gentlemen, any thoughts out there on the best way to attach them to the model? I have a couple of ideas myself but would welcome other opinions.

Thanks in advance,

From Oz,

Peter C.

• Agree 1

That’s a very good question Peter and one I agonised with myself. In the end I used liquid, as opposed to gel, superglue. I wouldn’t say I made a perfect job of it, but it’s ok and the frets are holding firm. Make sure you check the fit before gluing and cut the fret  out carefully. The thin part above the cab door is particularly delicate.

I’d be interested if anyone has an alternative approach but obviously too late for me

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

GWR etches applied, painted and weathered. Also number plates and new dome added. I think the dome is a bit large, but it was the most suitable one I could find for a GWR loco with a curved boiler.

I've added the words 'Great Western' to the tank sides. I couldn't find conclusive evidence that this livery was applied, but given the Victories were 'Swindonised' I have assumed it would have been.

Now I've seen the photo I may just tone the weathering down a bit.

IMG_2920.JPEG

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 12/02/2024 at 09:32, 45568 said:

Having received my replacement etched sides today in Australia, thanks gentlemen, any thoughts out there on the best way to attach them to the model? I have a couple of ideas myself but would welcome other opinions.

Thanks in advance,

From Oz,

Peter C.

A very thin coat of epoxy adhesive is the best way, IMO. It gives lots of time for adjustment and to squeeze out and wipe away any excess. You will need to hold it in place with pegs or clamps. I have used it to successfully add etched panels to both brass kits and RTR plastic-bodied loco models.

Edited by Ruston
I spellzed sumfink wrong
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

3 hours ago, sdh-stbriavels said:

GWR etches applied, painted and weathered. Also number plates and new dome added. I think the dome is a bit large, but it was the most suitable one I could find for a GWR loco with a curved boiler.

I've added the words 'Great Western' to the tank sides. I couldn't find conclusive evidence that this livery was applied, but given the Victories were 'Swindonised' I have assumed it would have been.

Now I've seen the photo I may just tone the weathering down a bit.

IMG_2920.JPEG

667 definitely received “GREAT WESTERN” and plain ”G W R”

DDCD3B52-15E3-4D2C-8A14-339F7256A720.jpeg.f3e4b3931fe871fb8a77336a64e578f1.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ruston said:

A very thin coat of epoxy adhesive is the best way, IMO. It gives lots of time for adjustment and to squeeze out and wipe away any excess. You will need to hold it in place with pegs or clamps. I have used it to successfully add etched panels to both brass kits and RTR plastic-bodied loco models.

I'm glad you suggested epoxy, Dave, because I had come to the conclusion myself that this was the only practical way.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Had a chance to give mine a proper run today for the first time.

I can state, hand on heart, that this has the best mechanism of any loco I've ever owned. The weight for an 0-6-0 is amazing, and with the gearing as it is even at very low speeds you can see the flywheel smoothing gaps in electricity delivery (I made it creep over insulfrog). For something of this wheelbase and format it's absolutely incredible. (Roco diesels always had amazing mechanisms, but that's easy when you've got bogies, central motors etc - doing it in steam outline 0-6-0 is just incredible).

Paint finish is excellent. Looks the business, sounds the business - and does the business.

Two problems - and they're glaring

1. I'm terrified of messing up the paintwork when I do decide to decal + weather.

2. Why would I spent more than 130 GBP on any loco ever again, when I could buy another one of these?

That I got this for 100 GBP is an absolute steal.

On the thread for suggestions for Rapido I asked for a MSC Hudswell Clarke long tank (MSC no.70, specifically!) - I'm now hoping they leave that one to PI.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

20 hours ago, Nova Scotian said:

I can state, hand on heart, that this has the best mechanism of any loco I've ever owned. The weight for an 0-6-0 is amazing, and with the gearing as it is even at very low speeds you can see the flywheel smoothing gaps in electricity delivery (I made it creep over insulfrog). For something of this wheelbase and format it's absolutely incredible. (Roco diesels always had amazing mechanisms, but that's easy when you've got bogies, central motors etc - doing it in steam outline 0-6-0 is just incredible).

Agree with that! Mine ran superb straight out of the box! I just need a suitable layout to run it on! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sb67 said:

Agree with that! Mine ran superb straight out of the box! I just need a suitable layout to run it on! 

Three of mine run really well, the fourth though is a grumbly thing. I've emailed the guys, having followed their advice to try and resolve the noise but i'm still waiting on a response to my second email from January. 

Paul.

Edited by Paul_sterling
  • Friendly/supportive 2