Planet Industrials - Kerr Stuart Victory RTR in OO...

James Hilton

3 hours ago, Ruston said:

I feel the same. The Victory is a great model and I have two of them, for two different layouts, but the sheer size of it makes it difficult to justify for my micro layouts. It's not the sort of thing that you would find employed by something such as a small engineering firm, with just a couple of sidings to shunt a handful of wagons. On the other hand, something small, such as an 0-4-0ST is very easy to justify and I suppose that's why I have 7 of Hattons' Barclays and 14 of Hornby's W4 Pecketts.

Very much so. Though my personal preference is something between the size of the Hattons Barclays and the Victory, personal favs atm being the PLAs (such as 1857 at the PBR currently), but that's possibly more down to the fact 0-4-0s don't really appeal to me as much as outside cylinder 0-6-0s. In that regard something like Llantarnam Abbey would be perfect for quite a number of layouts, at least in my opinion.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cornelius said:

I would love to do a fireless loco but I'd worry the market for it would be very small. Happy to be proven wrong!

Do NOT produce a U.K. spec fireless locomotive in a series of colourful liveries with transfers available from Light Railway Stores to personalise them to various industrial concerns*

HOURS OF FUN!

* This is Steve’s wallet … I don’t think I could survive another “purchasing bender” should you announce such models!

Edited by SteveyDee68
Bloody spellchucker again!
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

8 hours ago, Ruston said:

I feel the same. The Victory is a great model and I have two of them, for two different layouts, but the sheer size of it makes it difficult to justify for my micro layouts. It's not the sort of thing that you would find employed by something such as a small engineering firm, with just a couple of sidings to shunt a handful of wagons. On the other hand, something small, such as an 0-4-0ST is very easy to justify and I suppose that's why I have 7 of Hattons' Barclays and 14 of Hornby's W4 Pecketts.

You could of course argue that post ww1 surplus meant the victory was available cheaper than a contemporary, smaller engine was, and was operated in confined environs, but with such a casual duty cycle it lasted for many decades as such. 

Paul. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Paul_sterling said:

You could of course argue that post ww1 surplus meant the victory was available cheaper than a contemporary, smaller engine was, and was operated in confined environs, but with such a casual duty cycle it lasted for many decades as such. 

Paul. 

It wouldn't work like that in reality.  If all you need is something such as a 14-inch 0-4-0 it would make no sense to buy a much larger 17-inch engine, even if the initial cost is less. The 17-inch 0-6-0 is going to cost a lot more in fuel, repairs and maintenance and so would be a false economy. 

Shunting costs would have been taken seriously.  They were a major reason that diesels gained a foothold in shunting long before they did on the main line. When a steam engine stands idle but at the ready it burns fuel and needs a crew to tend to it. A diesel burns no fuel and doesn't need anyone to tend it because it is shut down and becomes ready at the push of a button.

• Like 7

On 03/12/2023 at 13:41, cornelius said:

I would love to do a fireless loco but I'd worry the market for it would be very small. Happy to be proven wrong!

I saw one at Locomotion and took a fancy to it. (The same thing happened with the (S160.) Very niche but there’s only one way to be proven wrong*. On the other hand, the point about more common industrials is well made. I know you’re called Planet Industrials but does it have to be an industrial? There are plenty of small steamers available to go for – Rapido has had no trouble finding some. Then again, does it have to be small?

*By which I mean make one. Expressions of interest is another way. If PI isn’t as widely known as other brands (it ought to be) perhaps try putting a few likely models to a vote in order to gauge comparative interest.

Edited by No Decorum
Spelling and clumsy English.
  • Like 1

On 02/12/2023 at 21:22, Wickham Green too said:

I've now found a decent picture of the rear of EKR No.4 and I have a feeling the circular windows ( rear AND front ) are slightly higher than on the 'other eight' ( maybe 2'' ). Between the rear windows are a pair of rectangular windows - were they original to both tall locos or an EKR mod ? The roof profile appears to be a simple arc as on the other locos and not as shown in the Railway Mudeller drawing !

I am certain the EKR one was one of the pair with 4in taller cabs. As I'm not trying to model the EKR specifically, my Victory is a fantasy preserved sample for my eventual Bluebell layout so the cab is not an issue. I already had number 5 (the preserved Adam's radial) and about 8 wagons typically found on the EKR line (even if some never left the coal field they worked for). The wagons are all RTR and are mostly not particularly accurate either. Likewise the radial has never run in EKR livery in preservation.

But they are all fine for my eventual Sheffield park where the max number of locos will be sound fitted or - at best - DCC plain.

EKR1.jpg

EKR4.jpg

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/12/2023 at 13:16, Michael Hodgson said:

I think you've made a sound assessment of the likely outcome. 

But give it a few years and the market situation will be different; don't lose the tooling!

I don't think anybody's done a RTR fireless loco yet; there's a number of industrial senarios that would fit.

23 hours ago, cornelius said:

liliput made this delightful 0-6-0 Meningen verision in HO many years ago and its still very popular (though there are some of the real thing still in use in Germany).

https://www.hattons.co.uk/22231/liliput_l103000_industrial_fireless_steam_locomotive/stockdetail

Certainly fits a 00 layout.

However in 00 a small 0-4-0 maybe good…

https://collection.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/objects/co205802/fireless-locomotive-named-imperial-fireless-locomotive

but do think a crane tank may be better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

liliput made this delightful 0-6-0 Meningen verision in HO many years ago and its still very popular (though there are some of the real thing still in use in Germany).

https://www.hattons.co.uk/22231/liliput_l103000_industrial_fireless_steam_locomotive/stockdetail

Certainly fits a 00 layout.

Nice but hush! You might put PI off!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

That’s the job! Would you believe that I turned up in Locomotion with the wrong card in my camera? No souvenir piccies. 😭 I like it even more now that I’ve seen that picture! Thank you for posting the link.

• Like 2

We've got a few ideas already identified and initial research undertaken... but no promises! 

A bit of an update on the initial (very welcome) success of the offer on our Facebook page:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0EYvWesXTUPNbBzo2nZ7bHaHV88wiKJ4AFZJDkfsbCgjPZ3LqBtUBZbxmfLyPTkiEl&id=100063770790934&mibextid=WC7FNe 

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, James Hilton said:

We've got a few ideas already identified and initial research undertaken... but no promises! 

A bit of an update on the initial (very welcome) success of the offer on our Facebook page:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0EYvWesXTUPNbBzo2nZ7bHaHV88wiKJ4AFZJDkfsbCgjPZ3LqBtUBZbxmfLyPTkiEl&id=100063770790934&mibextid=WC7FNe 

If any of those ideas are for steamers (but not fireless) please think about light from the fire. It would show up the delightful crews James painted for my two, in the process rendering most of my steamers obsolete!

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, James Hilton said:

I do like your desk in that picture, if you flip it other way up is it hiding a layout underneath ?

• James Hilton changed the title to 36 hours left - £99 sale - Planet Industrials - Kerr Stuart Victory RTR in OO...