Planet Industrials - Kerr Stuart Victory RTR in OO...

James Hilton

It very much is. A friend of mine decided to acquire one having heard my high praise of these magnificent beasts, and he does agree in with my position it is simply the best 0-6-0 on the market. The reliability and running characteristics generally unrivalled, it really deserves more credit more widely than it does currently attract.

I know the PI chaps have said they are not committing, as of yet, to a new locomotive, but I sincerely hope that they do consider doing so, for it could only be to the benefit of the hobby.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/03/2024 at 16:03, BVMR21 said:

I know the PI chaps have said they are not committing, as of yet, to a new locomotive, but I sincerely hope that they do consider doing so, for it could only be to the benefit of the hobby.

They should only go for a railway company with no RTR representation, that built and operated an 0-6-0T that looked like an 'industrial'  design. I give you the North London Railway's Park 0-6-0T of 1880; 8" less wheelbase, 3 feet shorter in the frame than the Victory.  These latterly achieved some fame on the Cromford and High Peak. Made to the same standard as the Victory - I support all the praise already expressed in this thread - 'twould be a knockout.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

41 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

They should only go for a railway company with no RTR representation, that built and operated an 0-6-0T that looked like an 'industrial'  design. I give you the North London Railway's Park 0-6-0T of 1880; 8" less wheelbase, 3 feet shorter in the frame than the Victory.  These latterly achieved some fame on the Cromford and High Peak. Made to the same standard as the Victory - I support all the praise already expressed in this thread - 'twould be a knockout.

Having spent time last year smartening up the paintwork on the sole survivor I have been looking for one to add to my collection. I would definitely put my name down for a couple of them.

Seen on the 19th April last year:

1000006702.jpg.a5fcc832215f8fe0ca8fca687a7b5e07.jpg

• Like 8

I have to say I am more inclined towards asking for the likes of a 16" Bagnall or a 14" Cylindered Andrew Barclay 0-6-0ST, rather than that which is essentially a "mainline" design.

Though it is up to the PI chaps to decide what would make most economic sense for them to produce as a second ready to run locomotive.

Bagnall 0-6-0ST No. 3061 "Empress" (1954)

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Having spent time last year smartening up the paintwork on the sole survivor I have been looking for one to add to my collection. I would definitely put my name down for a couple of them.

Having tried to clean it up when I was in the 9F club many years ago it's nice to see it looking respectable again.

If it helps I can dig my GEM kit out the roundtoit pile. Not sure how far through it I have to get to guarantee an RTR model though?

• Funny 2

8 hours ago, Nova Scotian said:

Riffing on the Inland Waterways and Docks theme... how about an Avonside 0-6-0ST? Portbuy started with I.W &D, before going to PBA.

The Avonside B4s would make sense, decent size to them etc.

Though I guess there is a similar problem as to variations in that design, same with the 16" Bagnalls, or 14" 0-6-0ST Barclays, you're dependent upon it being viable to produce. Last I checked the B4 would require 2 different saddle tanks, so by far not the worst in the world. Avonside B3 though, as far as I am aware, had very few differences between class members, so may be a better option?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone with a sound fitted Victory had issues with the Volume settings?  It would seem that on my model, the V- function key works OK, but the V+ does not.  If I inadvertently set the volume too low, I have to alter CV266 to correct this.  Is there a fix for this?

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, ColinM said:

Has anyone with a sound fitted Victory had issues with the Volume settings?  It would seem that on my model, the V- function key works OK, but the V+ does not.  If I inadvertently set the volume too low, I have to alter CV266 to correct this.  Is there a fix for this?

As the CVs have been altered, try doing a factory reset putting CV 8 back to 8. This will restore the factory settings to the decoder and put the address back to three. That should restore the volume to factory set level. 

Rob

I haven’t altered any CV’s.  I changes the address from 3 to 5, but nothing else. I just changes cv266 to put the volume back to the default.

On 01/06/2023 at 19:11, Ruston said:

Wm. Pepper's Victory at Blacker Lane opencast disposal point, May 1968.

DSCF0010.JPG.faebd38f1d22f4b1f177d6f2d26c247d.JPG

And another one.

DSCF0990.JPG

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had a bit of trouble with mine the other day, I was trying to adjust the volume with the up/down functions (27/28) and found that when entering on or the other, the sound just either kept increasing or decreasing rather than just moving up a step as expected. I think I've managed to stabilise it, but it seems to have affected the speaker, which has become rather crackly at times and I'm worried that it going up to full volume has maybe blown the speaker a little.  If this is indeed the case, could anyone recommend a replacement speaker with plenty of bass to replace it with?

I certainly enjoy running the loco and am very tempted by a second, the slow speed control and real sense of effort the loco displays, despite being more than comfortable with anything I've hung on the back (or front) of it so far!

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Cheers

J

10 minutes ago, JaymzHatstand said:

I had a bit of trouble with mine the other day, I was trying to adjust the volume with the up/down functions (27/28) and found that when entering on or the other, the sound just either kept increasing or decreasing rather than just moving up a step as expected. I think I've managed to stabilise it, but it seems to have affected the speaker, which has become rather crackly at times and I'm worried that it going up to full volume has maybe blown the speaker a little.  If this is indeed the case, could anyone recommend a replacement speaker with plenty of bass to replace it with?

I certainly enjoy running the loco and am very tempted by a second, the slow speed control and real sense of effort the loco displays, despite being more than comfortable with anything I've hung on the back (or front) of it so far!

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Cheers

J

You choos do a wide range of 8 ohm sugar cubes. One is bound to fit and sound quality is very good.

• Thanks 1

On 09/04/2024 at 16:47, Pre Grouping fan said:

Second by me. Or 3rd....

On 09/04/2024 at 16:55, BVMR21 said:

I have to say I am more inclined towards asking for the likes of a 16" Bagnall or a 14" Cylindered Andrew Barclay 0-6-0ST, rather than that which is essentially a "mainline" design.

Though it is up to the PI chaps to decide what would make most economic sense for them to produce as a second ready to run locomotive.

Bagnall 0-6-0ST No. 3061 "Empress" (1954)

I guess they are waiting for a barrage of other industrials due to come out to calm down first. 1 on Dapols list and at least 3 due on Rapido's. There is only so much one can buy in one go....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

I guess they are waiting for a barrage of other industrials due to come out to calm down first. 1 on Dapols list and at least 3 due on Rapido's. There is only so much one can buy in one go....

I've got a Dapol Hawthorn Leslie on order (due soon) and two Andrew Barclays (Q3 apparently).

If PI were to announce another I'd ignore my annual loco budget for the year and just buy it. I'm so impressed with the Kerr Stuart Victory I would make it happen over almost anything else. Rapido's Manning Wardle is cute, but potential pricing worries me (145gbp for the Y7 does not compare favourably to Dapol Hawthorn Leslie, Hornby Peckett etc). 

It might be a "trend of one", but given that they started with an inland waterways loco, they could stick to the "waterways" theme - opportunities with MSC and others. PBA used lots of Avonsides. PLA used lots of Andrew Barclay 0-6-0 side tanks (18" mostly I think?).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Nova Scotian said:

I've got a Dapol Hawthorn Leslie on order (due soon) and two Andrew Barclays (Q3 apparently).

If PI were to announce another I'd ignore my annual loco budget for the year and just buy it. I'm so impressed with the Kerr Stuart Victory I would make it happen over almost anything else. Rapido's Manning Wardle is cute, but potential pricing worries me (145gbp for the Y7 does not compare favourably to Dapol Hawthorn Leslie, Hornby Peckett etc). 

It might be a "trend of one", but given that they started with an inland waterways loco, they could stick to the "waterways" theme - opportunities with MSC and others. PBA used lots of Avonsides. PLA used lots of Andrew Barclay 0-6-0 side tanks (18" mostly I think?).

I'm impressed with my Victory tank too. In my case it would depend on what Pi announced. As most of my industrial tanks are preserved types (the Victory was an EKR, which is a side interest), that narrows down my choice a bit, but technically I have 4 right now (2 Hornby peckets one hattons Barclay, a DJM austerity - 1 of these under plain DCC), with Invincible about to arrive, to be followed by 4 Rapido models (all 5 DCC sound).

Probably enough though Baxter would be nice!!!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, JSpencer said:

I'm impressed with my Victory tank too. In my case it would depend on what Pi announced. As most of my industrial tanks are preserved types (the Victory was an EKR, which is a side interest), that narrows down my choice a bit, but technically I have 4 right now (2 Hornby peckets one hattons Barclay, a DJM austerity - 1 of these under plain DCC), with Invincible about to arrive, to be followed by 4 Rapido models (all 5 DCC sound).

Probably enough though Baxter would be nice!!!!

Funny you mention the Austerity.

Imagine if PI made that. The weight, haulage, running characteristics, and of course the right paint patina from the diecast. The DJM looked good, the EFE takes that further with a slightly re-engineered chassis.

I can't imagine there's a market for another entrant (given Hornby is there too). The Austerity was just about everywhere after the war, PLA had a few. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nova Scotian said:

Funny you mention the Austerity.

Imagine if PI made that. The weight, haulage, running characteristics, and of course the right paint patina from the diecast. The DJM looked good, the EFE takes that further with a slightly re-engineered chassis.

I can't imagine there's a market for another entrant (given Hornby is there too).

Personally, I think the Austerity has reached OO market saturation point…

> Kitmaster/Airfix kit (motorised)

> (Original) Dapol model

> Hornby model (based on the Dapol)

> DJM (over engineered) model

> EFE (based on the DJM body shell)

The Hornby loco provides a cheap(ish) and perfectly acceptable model, the EFE takes the DJM body and marries it to a Bachmann chassis, so definitely the best RTR version currently available. For those on a budget or wishing to do some loco fettling, the old Dapol model then fills that gap in the market.

I love the Victory (I have four of the beasts*) and am looking forward to what Planet Industrials comes up with next, but as I have a Dapol, a Hornby and two EFE examples I would find it difficult to justify another Austerity, albeit no doubt superb. I’m certain others are in the same situation.

Now, some MSC 0-6-0 side tanks (short and long) would be very welcome!

Steve S

* Don’t ask 🙄

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I have a Hornby and aDJM version. Both were not good runners out of the box but at a very good price so after a little fettling, they both now run well.

I also have a second hand kit to build so at present that would fill my needs for these locos.

My Victory in EKR livery runs very well but it was the only loco to sometimes jump the Peco bullhead turnouts. Turns out that the medium radius turnouts can go out of gauge as the curved stock rail can move in a little bit. Luckily this was spotted before completing the trackwork and the Victory now is one of the best runners on the layout and ran really well last Sunday at a show.

20240519_155539.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2

Whilst I think there is a market for a high quality 18" Hunslet range, I would more look at the Hunslet 48150s, not the Austerity type. I think a number of people (myself included) who have the EFE Austerity do think it's a waste of money, can't pull a lot even with added weight, mechanism is mostly unchanged from DJM days, and it's just generally not a nice model; and as such I would fail to recommend it to anyone.

Though I do think it would be better to see something like the 14" 0-6-0ST Barclays, mostly because they're lovely little locos irl, obviously I have mentioned my desire to see a 16" Bagnall 0-6-0ST, and then of course there are the Hudswell Clarke PLA type things (more thinking like HC1857), all of which are decent sized locos, never produced RTR in 00, and would make decent light railway locos.

Victory really is the standard for a decent 0-6-0 industrial locomotive.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Now, some MSC 0-6-0 side tanks (short and long) would be very welcome!

Yes some more side tanks like those would be great. They meet the cute factor, preserved and useful on any industrial or colliery system. 

• Like 3