Rails of Sheffield Improved Precedent Class

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

It's a great shame when a small number of abusers spoil innocent fun. I'd been aiming for maximum groan - I had a post that had rated 22 groans and no other responses and was feeling rather chuffed.

I was going to suggest (on the forum jokes thread) to see who could get the most groans and then I found it had gone.  If ever Andy deems fit to re-instate it perhaps it could be used against the likes of Black Hat and used every time they start shooting off. There is the problem of course that they are so thick skinned that they won't realise that the urine is being extracted. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

perhaps it could be used against

That’s exactly why we don’t want it back! These threads get heated enough with passion without bullying. 

Getting back on topic I’ve added Shakespeare to 247’s to do list simply because I like it more than Lucknow ;) 

With previous comments on detail this, and the coal tank, certainly pushes the detail further than the only previous OO rtr LNWR locos I have ;)

5A569701-B211-4EBB-A2CF-2829AB8E77EB.jpeg.63495d5caf9970bcd198552bdad581b7.jpeg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 7
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, john new said:

What really surprises me is that the Derwent Valley Light Railway was one of the smallest railway companies in existence but with the announced release of Hardwicke r-t-r it is amazing that such a high percentage of every loco type ever seen at Layerthorpe is now available (or has been announced) in 4mm. Numbers and variants within a class may differ but for a minority interest company the availability of stock is difficult to criticise for just the sake of a rogue white cab roof!

• Manning Wardle  contractors engine - kit?
  • NER 1679 (Opening day special) - not yet.
  • Sentinel shunter - kits and it was a r-t-r model recently (a new batch?)
  • ex-HBR N12 0-6-2 - not yet
  • ex-NER G5 - announced
  • various NER 0-6-0 tender engines - not yet the exact type, but close approximations yes announced by Oxford.

Not that close an approximation — the usual loco during the 1950s was a J25, a significantly smaller loco than the J26/7, though it is available RTR in 'N' (from Union Mills).

As well as the Drewry shunters — ex-BR class 04, so have been available RTR in both OO and N, class 03s were also hired from BR during the 1960s. The book on the line by S.J. Reading (the line's former general manager, published by Oakwood quite a few years ago) makes reference to "Ministry of Transport" 0-6-0Ts. It's believed these may have been J94s, but there's no photographic evidence so this remains uncertain.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Me.

And me and a lot of others .hope certain folk (not Andy Y)are happy with spoiling good light hearted fun on other parts of the forum which is needed in these strange times. 

We should feel lucky thst people are investing money in new products at all

Th

Sorry to hijack your thread

Edited by simontaylor484
Edited for clarity
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, AlfaZagato said:

Preordered Talavera this morning, along with a Jumbo.   

Was there something suitably commonplace that the last few Improved Precedents hauled?   I suppose none of the Pullmans made by Hornby qualify?

The LMS never operated Pullman services throughout its existence*! It did inherit a few cars from the Caledonian IIRC but they all quickly got absorbed into the regular LMS fleet.

Unfortunately the Stanier period 3 stock Hornby do make probably came along only after most of the locos were scrapped and the remainder painted in unlined black.

What we could do with is some early LMS corridor stock (Period 1) but as yet no RTR manufacturer has seen fit to do it.

* Basically the LMS (and to a lesser extent the GWR) avoided Pullmans, preferring to invest in their own coaching stock several of which were thought of as just as good or even better than what Pullman provided. By contrast the Southern Railway and the LNER were enthusiastic users of Pullman cars through their existence. This did produce an anomaly whereby some relatively small towns got ‘luxuary’ pullman services while large cities like Birmingham didn’t until BR days.

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AlfaZagato said:

Preordered Talavera this morning, along with a Jumbo.   

Was there something suitably commonplace that the last few Improved Precedents hauled?   I suppose none of the Pullmans made by Hornby qualify?

How about Hattons Genesis Coaches in LNWR/LMS livery that they are producing as 4 and 6 wheelers !

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, johnd said:

How about Hattons Genesis Coaches in LNWR/LMS livery that they are producing as 4 and 6 wheelers !

I have a feeling that by the 1920s the Precedent class would be hauling bogie stock rather than 6 wheelers.

Granted the LNWR liveried coaches are a good fit for the LNWR liveried locos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

Unfortunately the Stanier period 3 stock Hornby do make probably came along only after most of the locos were scrapped and the remainder painted in unlined black.

What we could do with is some early LMS corridor stock (Period 1) but as yet no RTR manufacturer has seen fit to do it.

1 hour ago, johnd said:

22 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

I have a feeling that by the 1920s the Precedent class would be hauling bogie stock rather than 6 wheelers.

Photos of Precedents in LMS days that I've seen generally show them working sets of elliptical-roofed carriages, usually a mix of late LNWR and early LMS (Period 1) 57ft corridor stock. So what's really needed are some ex-LNWR carriages of post-1908 vintage! To complicate matters, there are two styles - with traditional Wolverton panelling and "Toplights".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Legend said:

Would the old Mainline LMS coaches be reasonable stock for an LMS Precedent ? 

That thought had gone thru my mind as well ! Also the Ratio coach kits !

Edited by johnd
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I guess Peco are moving the coaches into the Parkside range now from Ratio. I wonder if they’ve ever considered preprinting the sides liveries like Slaters have done on their L&B coach kits recently? They certainly have access to the technology as proved by their Victorian 009 bug box coaches. I suspect that would jump the sales quite a bit, just a thought ;) 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/12/2020 at 08:00, Legend said:

Would the old Mainline LMS coaches be reasonable stock for an LMS Precedent ? 

With a repaint to fully lined livery, they'd work a treat.

IIRC Alan Gibson made some overlays to convert these to Late Midland coaches and they were later produced by David Geen, I don't know their current availability.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If the  LNWR era is not the one you specifically model, but you want one of these, you could always buy Hardwicke and run it with four BR blue grey mark1s. It may well look odd but would be correct (number of coaches is from memory but won’t be far out).

Edited by john new
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, john new said:

If the  LNWR era is not the one you specifically mode!, but you want one of these, you could always buy Hardwicke and run it with four BR blue grey mark1s. It may well look odd but would be correct (number of coaches is from memory but won’t be far out).

I run my Bachmann NRM Compound with crimson and cream LMS Period 3 carriages - looks very smart. The LMS had considered adopting cream upper panels (I forget quite when) but in the event only the Directors' Saloon was thus turned out.

• Like 1