Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

• RMweb Gold

Currently reading the new (ish) Hull & Barnsley books and it seems the H&B were quite fond of those crossings usually between the main station building and the waiting room opposite, they look to be only a couple of feet wide though. I suppose if staff are going to take a short cut it might as well be as safe as possible. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Graham T said:

I was juggling three at one point in my life; it ended up quite messily, as you can imagine.  Not highly recommended!

I was reminded of that the second time I managed to get into such a situation…

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I'm reminded of the joke told by the wife of my doctoral supervisor. A lawyer, a doctor, and a physicist are discussing whether it is better to have a wife or a mistress. The lawyer recommends a mistress - no legal ties or obligations. The doctor recommends a wife - someone to look after you when you're ill. The physicist says "No, it's best to have a wife and a mistress. Then the wife thinks you're with the mistress and the mistress thinks you're with the wife, so you can go down the lab and get on with the experiment."

My supervisor sat there nodding - "so true, so true", he said...

The Latin teacher at my high school (who looked old enough to have been alive when Latin was a living language) once told us, "remember boys, always have girlfriends in odd numbers, so if two find out about each other, you've still got at least one to fall back on!"

Sexist I know... but this was the 1970s....

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

25 minutes ago, Jon Harbour said:

The Latin teacher at my high school (who looked old enough to have been alive when Latin was a living language) once told us, "remember boys, always have girlfriends in odd numbers, so if two find out about each other, you've still got at least one to fall back on!"

Sexist I know... but this was the 1970s....

I'm not sure if we're still allowed to give that a thumbs up anymore! :D

Seriously though, why would anyone genuinely be offended?

Does anyone believe that women don't say the same things and far worse? I know for certain that they do.

Of course not, it's just about a few people trying to force their world view on others whilst enjoying a little power trip.

If you reversed the sexes in that joke, you'd have material for some up and coming female comedian on Live at the Apollo or some such.

You're welcome and nothing gets personal on here, it just gets a bit odd now and then...

Or gets odd most of the time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Worsdell forever said:

Currently reading the new (ish) Hull & Barnsley books and it seems the H&B were quite fond of those crossings usually between the main station building and the waiting room opposite, they look to be only a couple of feet wide though. I suppose if staff are going to take a short cut it might as well be as safe as possible. 

I'm already thinking that this one is a bit on the wide side too. It scales up to 7'6", which is right for a barrow crossing, I might just halve the width for appearance sake, especially having looked at the Corfe picture.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Due to the lack buses and bridges to park them on, the stuka crews have gone off to The Kangaroo at the other end of the village for a stein or two.

They've taken the keys and put the Krook-lok on too, so it's stuck there for now...

Joined by the crew from the Prairie parked on the platform probably? :)

• Funny 1

9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

This is interesting (and unusually for here, relevant!) stuff:

Well I'm back. Having been treated as an emergency by the trick cyclist - he said he gets quick a few patients who have had dealings with Aston on Club, his advice is that I need to engage with you.

So here I am engaging with you. 

So you do actual read what I say that's interesting. Now I won't ask to be given credit for this. I'm not that petty.

3 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

So you do actual read what I say that's interesting. Now I won't ask to be given credit for this. I'm not that petty.

No need to go back for abandonment trauma therapy, Credit and thanks given at the top of this page, before I'd even read it.

There's me showing faith in your taste in railway modelling, such that I had to share it with everyone else! :D

1 minute ago, MrWolf said:

No need to go back for abandonment trauma therapy, Credit and thanks given at the top of this page, before I'd even read it.

There's me showing faith in your taste in railway modelling, such that I had to share it with everyone else! :D

Your doing it again paying me a compliment. I'm not used to this. Hang on I've just reread that. So your saying I might be madder than a box of frogs but your still prepared to take my advice. Would you like my trckcyclists number? I'm certain he'll see you. Just mention my name.

• Funny 1

23 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

All I can add to that is that it's a huge advantage if both have the same first name.

Don't ask me how I know this.

A former colleague of mine once had three girlfriends on the go simultaneously and in fact two of them did have the same name!  He didn't quite manage the trifecta. Not surprisingly, the one with a different first name was the first to twig what was going on....

In a similar story, when I worked for the nationalised offshore oil company in Abu Dhabi, there was a legendary British expat working on a platform in the Persian Gulf who convinced his wife in Britain that he worked three months on and one month off whereas in fact he worked one on one off. He found himself a second wife in Thailand and convinced her of the same. For ten years, he got away with this classic bedroom farce. Everybody in the company knew the story. His back to back, if quizzed about his colleague's whereabouts by one of the two spouses, would always respond with, "oh he's on the rig somewhere, I'll find him and get him to call you". He'd follow that with a quick call to wherever his colleague was currently holidaying saying that he needed to call the 'other site'. Then one day, his back to back retired and there was inadequate time for a proper handover with the replacement. Off he goes to Thailand in the middle of the UK winter. Pipes freeze in his UK home then thaw - result water everywhere. UK wife rings up the rig and the new back to back, the only person in a company of 5,000 people who didn't know the background innocently replies "oh, he's in Thailand with his wife"!

The two wives did not have the same first name... nor the same husband after that!

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

4 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Your doing it again paying me a compliment. I'm not used to this. Hang on I've just reread that. So your saying I might be madder than a box of frogs but your still prepared to take my advice. Would you like my trckcyclists number? I'm certain he'll see you. Just mention my name.

Thanks, but I already have one, every Thursday, ten til twelve. She's a very nice lady, but it doesn't compensate for the joys of CPTSD.

The memsahib, art, motorcycles and trains are, in that order, the best medicine. :good:

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

The moral of the story being don't get married once and certainly not twice?

Remarriage: the triumph of hope over experience.

(although second marriages are actually less likely to result in divorce than first marriages.)

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Thanks, but I already have one, every Thursday, ten til twelve. She's a very nice lady, but it doesn't compensate for the joys of CPTSD.

The memsahib, art, motorcycles and trains are, in that order, the best medicine. :good:

Only two hours a week. That's nothing. Wait to it's twice a week for four hours. That's what you real ******** ( word deleted due to fears that generation z might be offended)

3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

25 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Did you say Art, darling?

All of which can apply to the humble pannier.

image.png.fe4f3d24bfa098d34977e190ef53744d.png

image.png.2a65330ddeccc792c174f595e8ad8099.png

Images taken from Minerva Railways and Motorcycles.com - I'll leave you to decide which provided which :lol:

• Like 3
  • Funny 5