RMweb

Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

It's not actually mine unfortunately, I had promised to help a friend go and fetch it from  Burton on Trent. It was one of those things where the asking price means you have to go and get it before someone else does. 

I did acquire a Norton frame that needs a bit of work before I can move it on which was also a bargain. It has been modified to take one of the Harley Pan Head engines that came with the FLHF.

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

It's a lot of boxes of bits at the moment. There's the makings of at least two engines and all the rare tinwork is present.

I don't know much about postwar Harleys and not much more about the earlier models 

It should look like this in a year or so. It's allegedly an FLHF Super Sport with foot change gears.

62-FLHF.jpg.52003cc331016c5526c8611a925f906f.jpg

Harleys and roadsters and Deltics on platforms,

Seagulls and seaside and the nineteen seventies
These are a few of my favourite sounds.

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I often hear people complaining about the seagulls.

The answer to that is don't come and live on the coast!

If anyone want any feel free to collect the pair looking at nesting yet again on my neighbours roof like they have for the last 20 years..

• Funny 3

4 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I often hear people complaining about the seagulls.

The answer to that is don't come and live on the coast!

Sadly I dont live on the coast, landlocked in fact. There are so many gulls here that when we do go to the coast it seems quiet, even during lunch when there is plenty of fish and chips on offer!

Although when they nest near us there is a red kite that seems to think large chicks are fresh kfc. One of the best sights during lockdown2.

Edited by Bluemonkey presents....
extra
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

Sadly I dont live on the coast, landlocked in fact. There are so many gulls here that when we do go to the coast it seems quiet, even during lunch when there is plenty of fish and chips on offer!

Although when they nest near us there is a red kite that seems to think large chicks are fresh kfc. One of the best sights during lockdown2.

We've been seeing a lot of Red Kites over the last couple of years. A very pleasant sight! Fewer seagulls too, though still quite a few, seeing as we're about 30 miles from the sea...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

49 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Plenty of gulls in our village, only about 15 miles from Kingsbridge as the gull flies, but the big fat pigeons generally have the monopoly of our bird table.

Don't know why they call them Wood pigeons most of them live in our garden! :scratchhead:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Gulls aren't daft. They've been around a lot longer than us for a start. Generations back they found they could scavenge from the returning fishing fleets. Now there's no more fishing fleets, they scavenge coastal towns in summer whilst breeding and head inland during the bad weather. Landfills and town centres are a favorite, there's often little difference between the two.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Benbow said:

Don't know why they call them Wood pigeons most of them live in our garden! :scratchhead:

Some people I know call Wood Pigeons the Orming Pigeon, (rather than homing pigeon)  from the Midlands term "Orming about", to wander dolefully and purposelessly.

Good in a game pie or cooked over a bonfire though! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Minor layout progress today in between other weekend stuff.

The two manual point levers are in but not finish painted yet:

IMG_20220219_214745.jpg.2a4518ddcbf1ef5f32d0d422bb6d193e.jpg

IMG_20220219_214755.jpg.fce7c09bf36549c64c4fbaccc273ed05.jpg

The FPL cover and foot crossing by the signal box are fitted:

IMG_20220219_214809.jpg.2860a5f1aaf95c876eed6a83d3f2d56f.jpg

The grass isn't actually that green, this new phone makes it look like a subbuteo pitch....

The painted part of the board is yet to be ballasted. I'd better talk nicely to the ballasting department and not call her Miss Tampa again...

May I suggest that some mud be put on the grass as it's likely to have got muddy particularly if staff are consulting the signaller.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

May I suggest that some mud be put on the grass as it's likely to have got muddy particularly if staff are consulting the signaller.

Definitely. The grass to the right of the crossing is mostly outside of the railway fence and makes up the verge for the road. There does need to be a muddy / gravel path from the board crossing, around the end of the buffer stop and into the goods yard though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Definitely. The grass to the right of the crossing is mostly outside of the railway fence and makes up the verge for the road. There does need to be a muddy / gravel path from the board crossing, around the end of the buffer stop and into the goods yard though.

I'm trying to visualise the signal box's location in relation to other structures. Now a days the grass would be sprayed of beneath the fence line so I would imagine it would be much longer and more straggler then.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

IMG_20220219_230141.jpg.b73875f35ca9ddf707c69e15b60965aa.jpg

This should help make sense of where things sit. I've just propped up a couple of bits of fence to show the railway boundary.

That's great. You can see the shadow cast by the box on the path and to a lesser extent the grass verge. Therefore there be more weed's. Just something extra to remember when you get to it.:read:

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, GWR57xx said:

I think there may be a flood of complaints about damaged suspension from drivers visiting the vicinity :P.

I'll forward them to MSE, I've got one of the crossing kits with the old handwritten instructions in what can only be described as heiroglyphs written by a doctor on a prescription pad. 

I have downloaded the typed version and need to get it printed out.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

1 minute ago, MrWolf said:

I'll forward them to MSE, I've got one of the crossing kits with the old handwritten instructions in what can only be described as heiroglyphs written by a doctor on a prescription pad. 

I have downloaded the typed version and need to get it printed out.

So that's what you're been reading is it.:lol:

• Like 2

There's already some of the longer grass down, hidden by the shadow of the fence in the previous shot, but I agree that a little more wouldn't hurt once everything else is in place.

IMG_20220219_231948.jpg.d795b85b8e4a5846ba7fd8ab834ce647.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1