Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

Apparently these are genuine country and western song titles, and no I have not listened to any of them:

I'm So Miserable Without You It's Like Having You Here

Get Your Biscuits In The Oven And Your Buns In The Bed

Get Your Tongue Outta My Mouth 'Cause I'm Kissing You Goodbye

I Keep Forgettin' I Forgot About You

I Don't Know Whether To Kill Myself Or Go Bowling

If You Don't Leave Me Alone, I'll Go And Find Someone Else Who Will

My Wife Ran Off With My Best Friend, And I Sure Do Miss Him

She Got The Gold Mine And I Got The Shaft

When You Leave Walk Out Backwards, So I'll Think You're Walking In

You're The Reason Our Baby's So Ugly

I Wish I Were In Dixie Tonight, But She's Out Of Town

I think I'll leave it there:o

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, MrWolf said:

If I put the layout against the other wall, the backscene is slightly distracting:

IMG_20220222_214304.jpg.c013aee131d8d82fc990de0398843acb.jpg

However, there's a bit of timber fabrication taking place that may or may not be connected with backscenes...

IMG_20220222_230237.jpg.f9d9a5b2395f06d09ea5d5e8a7ecb722.jpg

Love the poster wall ... Some intresting looking hot rods as well ... Sigh ... You've got to love a rat rod ...

• Thanks 1

Thanks, it's almost all bits and pieces printed out from Google images as inspiration or reference for my own paintings.

If I had the space I'd love to build another old school hotrod.

I think I have enough expensive hobbies already!

I didn't want to hog @Alister_G's thread with more Airfix 4F chat, (Thanks @malc60015, I thought I was alone in my appreciation of them!) here she is, having taken a wrong turn at Craven Arms.

IMG_20220224_020258.jpg.89dc6368c96aafb293f772bf64cdbd28.jpg

She may not be Brunswick green, but ticks all the other boxes being an 0-6-0 tender engine of Victorian heritage with a useless cab.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 13
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh I'm very much a 4F fan. I know they weren't great in real life, most crews had a love hate relationship with them, but they were the staple loco which kept traffic flowing in my part of the world.

There were probably more 3Fs and 4Fs up and down through Bakewell than any other class of loco.

Al.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I didn't want to hog @Alister_G's thread with more Airfix 4F chat, (Thanks @malc60015, I thought I was alone in my appreciation of them!) here she is, having taken a wrong turn at Craven Arms.

IMG_20220224_020258.jpg.9e5ba6f0b18dc452e322d03c353bef70.jpg

She may not be Brunswick green, but ticks all the other boxes being an 0-6-0 tender engine of Victorian heritage with a useless cab.

She looks perfectly at home, Put some lamp irons on, black the whistle and safety valves, stick a crew in job done.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Oh I'm very much a 4F fan. I know they weren't great in real life, most crews had a love hate relationship with them, but they were the staple loco which kept traffic flowing in my part of the world.

There were probably more 3Fs and 4Fs up and down through Bakewell than any other class of loco.

Al.

Couldn’t agree more, at Rowsley South we had a greater variety with the turn backs from the south. Interesting times.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, malc60015 said:

She looks perfectly at home, Put some lamp irons on, black the whistle and safety valves, stick a crew in job done.

She's exactly what came out of the Airfix factory at present. There's a queue of locos for detailing and new couplings.

Must get the layout something like sorted first though. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I'm also a fan of the Airfix 4F. I've got two of them (one LMS black and one BR black) and also two of the Hornby re-releases. I feel the originals are smoother runners than the Hornby ones. My BR one, 44454, carries the name "Shrewsbury" on its splashers. Whether it came from the factory like that or has been done at some later point I have no idea. It's very neatly done though.

• Like 2

I'd always fancied owning a 2F, but I don't recall seeing one in RTR form. Some years ago I detailed and backdated a Tri-ang 3F with coal rail tender etc. Never did get around to numbering it, it just ran about in satin and matt black.

I have two 4Fs for Alsop: one is an older Airfix model whose previous owner detailed as a RHD locomotive and the other is a Hornby offering (though not the most recent version with the motor in the loco), for which I have plans…

Certainly no Derbyshire-, S&DJR- or S&C-based layout should be without at least two.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I do however like Bachmann's offering.....and where else but the S&D route would you see L&SWR signage combined with an ex-Midland 4F...........

20210502_200952-01.jpeg.7b9fdd3a0a169a60b64e52083731670f.jpeg

43875 was in fact a Bath Green Park loco in the early 1950s. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

I do however like Bachmann's offering.....and where else but the S&D route would you see L&SWR signage combined with an ex-Midland 4F...........

20210502_200952-01.jpeg.7b9fdd3a0a169a60b64e52083731670f.jpeg

43875 was in fact a Bath Green Park loco in the early 1950s. 

Rob. 

The Bachmann version is supposed to be closer to scale than the Airfix/Hornby one, though I don’t think there’s much in it.

I’d’ve gone for the Bachmann version for the RHD loco I intend to model on Alsop, but the prototype had a Fowler rather than a Johnson tender in my chosen time period, so I went for a second Airfix/Hornby model…

(apologies for thread hijack!)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

The Bachmann version is supposed to be closer to scale than the Airfix/Hornby one, though I don’t think there’s much in it.

I think there's a great deal in it. The Bachmann 4F is streets ahead of the Airfix/Hornby 4F - hardly surprising given a third of a century between the two. The Bachmann one is a Midland 4F and the Airfix one an LMS Standard 4F, so they are of course representing different things. 

I have three Airfix 4Fs, each of which cost me £20, and two Bachmann, bought at the time the model first came out - I think they were a bit under £70 each then.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

You must have bought your 4F from the same seller I did, mine also cost £20.

On the subject of locomotive prices and more or less back on track, there's been quite a lot of talk about the potential demand for a "new" pannier. The ever popular Bachmann 57XX / 87XX  is now approaching twenty years old and is one of the only truly prewar types available.

I've just been reading through an August 2012 copy of RM and Hattons were offering 32-215 57XX pannier 5775 in GWR green for £47.

(Cheltenham Model Centre had the newly issued Bachmann 4F for £76.20)

It says something about the demand for the Bachmann panniers and the huge price hike in the last few years that the average eBay price for used ones (and even the earlier Mainline derived locos) is around £53.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

I think there's a great deal in it. The Bachmann 4F is streets ahead of the Airfix/Hornby 4F - hardly surprising given a third of a century between the two. The Bachmann one is a Midland 4F and the Airfix one an LMS Standard 4F, so they are of course representing different things. 

I have three Airfix 4Fs, each of which cost me £20, and two Bachmann, bought at the time the model first came out - I think they were a bit under £70 each then.

I think the last sentence sums it up, loco £20 + decoder and stay alive £30=£50
Against a £70 loco no contest as I seem to have an abundance of Airfix product!!!

malc

• Like 1